Thread: VX-170

Default VX-170

I purchased a barely used VX-170 last year. Very happy with it. There are two nagging things I cannot figure out. Even after pursuing the manual completely, there is no mention of two things:

1) When connected to an external power source, the red light comes on. Does it ever go out when the battery is charged? Does it turn green when charged? Or, do I simply have to trust the battery is charged after 24 hours? (currently, I am pulling the charge plug out after 24 hours.)

2) There is a constantly flashing message on the LCD screen of "store". No matter how many times I store the current repeater freq into a memory, this "store" keeps flashing. I cannot make it go away.

Any advice here?

Bill
    Last edited by WB0HYQ; Sat 27th Mar 2021 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    I purchased a barely used VX-170 last year. Very happy with it. There are two nagging things I cannot figure out. Even after pursuing the manual completely, there is no mention of two things:

1) When connected to an external power source, the red light comes on. Does it ever go out when the battery is charged? Does it turn green when charged? Or, do I simply have to trust the battery is charged after 24 hours? (currently, I am pulling the charge plug out after 24 hours.)

2) There is a constantly flashing message on the LCD screen of "store". No matter how many times I store the current repeater freq into a memory, this "store" keeps flashing. I cannot make it go away.

Any advice here?

Bill

You should be fine continuing to charge the radio the way have been doing.

Are you sure that flashing message doesn't say "SAVE?" If it is SAVE, it means the battery saver is active and you can pretty much ignore it. A lot of the older Yaesu radios are like this. My FT-270R (the successor to the VX-170) and FT-60R are both like that. You can shut if off if it bothers you. See Item 37 in your SET MODE [RXSAVE].

I have no idea why I said "store" instead of "save." You are correct.

It seems odd that after all the bells and whistles added to this rig, they wouldn't have an "end of charge" indication. I would imagine I won't use 80% of the functions on this one. Great little handheld for when I'm away from home or car.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    I have no idea why I said "store" instead of "save." You are correct.

It seems odd that after all the bells and whistles added to this rig, they wouldn't have an "end of charge" indication. I would imagine I won't use 80% of the functions on this one. Great little handheld for when I'm away from home or car.

Bill
    Just to be sure, I plugged my FT-270 into the charger after I made my last post. Sure enough, when I went into the shack this morning, the red light was still on, even though the battery was charged to a full 8.8V when I turned it on.

This has been my experience as well. One of life's unsolved mysteries I guess.

Bill