Thread: What is the longest range handheld and base station?

Default What is the longest range handheld and base station?

What are the longest transmitting base station and handheld? How much further will a base station transmit than a handheld. I have a UV5R and am mostly concerned with ability to transmit and receive as far as possible. Thank you.

please read the instruction manual or go to the website for the information.
    as far as the longest transmitting units , it depends on the wattage, antenna height and what land features may obstruct the signals.
    and it also depends on the efficiency of the antenna and how well its tuned
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

Building on what has already been stated, I would ask, who or how far would you like to reach? If your goal is just to transmit as far as possible, consider obstructions, tune your antenna for the frequency you will be using most frequently, and get it as high as possible with a low loss feed line. Make sure it is a variable power unit so that you can throttle back and use the least amount of power needed for the qso. Just the first couple things that came to mind. I hope that it helps.
    73s, God bless and good day. KD9KVS
    I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Range isn't a factor you can usually just randomly assign to a particular radio style.

Having said that,
    handhelds are easily categorized as short range equipment due to the nature of their antennas and effective radiated power.

A 'base station' by definition gives the potential for massively improved, stationary antenna systems as well as the capability to create more effective radiated power - the difference between battery power and mains power comes to mind.

Frequencies desired also play an important part in determining range. HF bounces off the ionosphere more reliably and for greater distances generally than VHF and higher. Now, if you're using the moon to bounce a signal off of, the whole distance thing gets tossed on its ear.

Edit - Time of year can enhance certain bands as well. Equinoxes are known for enhancements and winter in the Northern hemisphere makes for quieter low bands due to less lightning activity.

What is it you're trying to accomplish, if you don't mind me asking?

TL DR - Lots of variables go into range estimations, usually simultaneously. Understanding radio wave propagation characteristics is the first avenue of study to get to the answer you desire.
    Last edited by WZ7U; Sat 20th Mar 2021 at 07:56.