Thread: Corona Ball questions

Default Corona Ball questions

Can someone explain to me how the typical corona ball is attached to most portable radios? I cant seem to figure out how they are affixed to the end of the shaft. Is it typical for them to come off? What is the best way to avoid this from happening......

Most likely a crimp arrangement. Probably not easily reattached.

Lets see what others come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Most likely a crimp arrangement. Probably not easily reattached.

Lets see what others come up with.
    usually swaged on (a form of compression without deformation)
    depending on the material the corona ball can be drilled out and soldered in place.
    even with extreme power output you are not going to generate enough heat to melt the solder.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

What is the best way to avoid them popping off when lengthening the antenna? Do these pop off a lot?

If you are concerned with it falling off, try to make it fall off. If you can remove it, braze it back on. If force greater than what will be encountered driving down the road does not remove it, you should be fine. Each manufacturer could attach them differently so you will need to assess that concern yourself to know for sure. That said, I have never seen one fall off, and the few I tried to remove offered sufficient resistance to my attempts. I think manufacturers fear lawsuit enough to make sure they stay on.