Thread: A Few Questions From A Newbie About CHIRP Programming

Question A Few Questions From A Newbie About CHIRP Programming

Hello, this is my first post. I'm a noob to HAM and getting ready to test for my license but I have a few questions.

I just received my BaoFeng BF-F8HP and I am going to use CHIRP to program it. I am watching the video below that seems to be pretty popular for performing this task. It is a few years old but looking at CHIRP it shows apparently that I have 127 channel slots to work with. The first step in this video is FRS and GRMS channels which loaded to 17-68 and that's just the start of the programming. The repeater list is a little confusing. If I select Ga or my county it list 1 channel. If I go to RepeaterBook it list 157 2m and 70cm repeaters within a 60 mile radius of me. I want to be able to travel around this area and I obviously can't load that many channels into CHIRP. I how should I narrow done my channels to be most efficient with the available slots? I've done a few searches for what channels should I program but I'm getting mixed info.

Also if anyone could tell me how to change my avatar and online status privacy setting I would appreciate it. I've looked everywhere.

Thank you for your help!

set your closest repeaters to the areas you travel the most.
    in your computer create separate settings files for chirp that you can upload to your radio in the event you travel outside your normal routine.
    changing your porfile pic
    at the top of the page click on settings from there you should see different links to edit your profile, avatar, and signature.
    Last edited by gnuuser; Mon 4th Jan 2021 at 14:55. Reason: correcting information
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    set your closest repeaters to the areas you travel the most.
    in your computer create separate settings files for chirp that you can upload to your radio in the event you travel outside your normal routine.
    changing your porfile pic
    at the top of the page click on settings from there you should see different links to edit your profile, avatar, and signature.
    Thanks for the response. I am attaching a few photos.

The first is showing what I see when I click settings. I have tried this in 2 different browsers and there is no place that I've found that allows you to change your avatar.

The second shows my CHIRP setup. The first 5 channels were on the radio from the factory, not sure what they are. You can also see the FRS & GMRS that was setup automatically with CHIRP.

The third photo shows some of the 2m & 70cm setup automatically by CHIRP and they include Offset, Tone, Duplex and Mode settings that were setup by CHIRP. I have added other channels but most I do not have that information for. Is that information needed or any other info than the frequencies?

Also it seems the default power setting is High for everything. I haven't setup MURS yet and I heard they have a 2 watt restriction. Should I be setting my power to different settings for different types? If so where do I get that information?

Thanks so much for your help.

No one... Seriously???

Dude, this forum has a low count, so it may take some time before someone who knows these things will stumble upon your thread and it doesn't guarantee they will answer. I'm sorry, but what you ask is out of my wheel house.

Concerning avatars, it may be that you need to have more post history before you are allowed. I know that's how they like doing things here in regards to seeing if you're a loon or not. BTW, thanks Georgia - you probably know what I mean.

Edit - I don't see how to add an avatar on my page either. Looks like something you need to take directly to the webmaster or the delegated person in charge of those things.
    Last edited by WZ7U; Thu 7th Jan 2021 at 18:40.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    BTW, thanks Georgia - you probably know what I mean. .
    Yeah, ever since Kemp got in it's been horrible. Liars lie.

once you have a few posts in (it may take 5 or 6)and are logged in click on settings,
    in the box that says my settings you should see edit profile, edit avatar, edit signature etc.
    click on edit avatar and proceed from there to choose and or upload an avatar.

often there is some delay in getting full access but usually not long. It depends on when the moderators or admin read them.

as a moderator on a different forum site I can tell you how much of a pain in the arse it is to deal with spam-bots, spammers, and admins need to deal with code errors on the site phpbb files. so its not a walk in the park job.
    when you have a new member posting the first few posts need approved before they are added to the forums. (primarily this is to catch the spam-bot enablers before they can do their damage)
    Last edited by gnuuser; Sun 10th Jan 2021 at 01:30.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice