Thread: How about a promoting Ameteur radio sub forum

Default How about a promoting Ameteur radio sub forum

just an idea bouncing around in my mind
    How about a "promoting amateur radio" section for the forum.
    as an example the history and theory of the various antennas we use!
    our efforts to teach the younger generations
    or the how and why components work!

we have many links to information spread out throughout the forum. maybe in this section we can put the education links there.
    Last edited by gnuuser; Tue 29th Dec 2020 at 16:37.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

I like it. I envision something almost non-forum based but associated with this forum dedicated to the various topics. Many articles that start with "How ______ works" with the blanks being anything from capacitors and inductors to "______ antennas" and propagation. It could be a non-forum educational reference unique to HamRadioForum with the ability for people to post questions regarding such topics, but get placed in their own place such that they don't clutter the actual educational references.

I think the forum itself is PACKED with invaluable information, but finding it is often much harder than asking again. There could be something here.

Edit: And in order to build up these references, we could post suggested educational entries in their own "suggested reference" basket so that they could be reviewed by other site members for accuracy and uniqueness (copyright reasons) before being integrated into the main section.
    Last edited by brandon lind; Tue 29th Dec 2020 at 01:58.

I love building radios and antennas, but i find it fascinating to learn the history of the designs.
    for instance it was a facepalm moment when i remembered that a ground plane transmitting antenna needed a radial or ground plane equal or larger than the active element
    (long before i ever got into amateur radio)

yes i believe that the history of things needs to be taught for better understanding.
    It often make us wonder just how the heck they come up with those ideas, and lets us know how much has been neglected in education.

I research many very good educational sites and can post links to them
    Last edited by gnuuser; Tue 29th Dec 2020 at 16:39.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice