Thread: Losing interest repeating yourself? Me too. How about a moderators opinion...

Default Losing interest repeating yourself? Me too. How about a moderators opinion...

I certainly have no issue helping people whenever I can, but it sure seems to me that the huge influx of direct-to-transmitting questions are from non-hams with little to no dedication toward becoming licensed, and I fear it is driving away many of the more knowledgeable contributing members of this forum that are tired of going over the same part 97 stuff we all value.

As this is a ham radio forum, is there a way to limit posts from non-verified hams to an unlicensed subsection of the forum that voluntary site "elmers" can go into if they wish to help these folks? This site is rapidly becoming a wanna-be ham site with the main activity stream filled with posts from people who just want a free and unregulated source of private communications. I think it will soon destroy this site.

Edit: I would gladly (with my new internet service) take on the responsibility of receiving emails containing scans of FCC (or whatever regulatory agency) licenses and cross checking them with online public databases for immediate approval. If scans of the original licenses are not available, I would also gladly snail-mail a postcard confirmation code to the documented mailing address associated with their alleged license and report back any inconsistencies to site admins. I am not suggesting the site ban non-hams, simply limiting those folks to posting to an unlicensed section that our dedicated site Elmers (another new idea) could focus on and direct already-asked questions to already-posted answers.
    Last edited by brandon lind; Sun 27th Dec 2020 at 03:43.

Hi, Brandon.

This is an interesting proposal, albeit novel and contentious.

I agree with your observation, and am not sure of the best way to address it, but this should certainly spark some conversation.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Chris
    2E0FRU

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    I certainly have no issue helping people whenever I can, but it sure seems to me that the huge influx of direct-to-transmitting questions are from non-hams with little to no dedication toward becoming licensed, and I fear it is driving away many of the more knowledgeable contributing members of this forum that are tired of going over the same part 97 stuff we all value.

As this is a ham radio forum, is there a way to limit posts from non-verified hams to an unlicensed subsection of the forum that voluntary site "elmers" can go into if they wish to help these folks? This site is rapidly becoming a wanna-be ham site with the main activity stream filled with posts from people who just want a free and unregulated source of private communications. I think it will soon destroy this site.

Edit: I would gladly (with my new internet service) take on the responsibility of receiving emails containing scans of FCC (or whatever regulatory agency) licenses and cross checking them with online public databases for immediate approval. If scans of the original licenses are not available, I would also gladly snail-mail a postcard confirmation code to the documented mailing address associated with their alleged license and report back any inconsistencies to site admins. I am not suggesting the site ban non-hams, simply limiting those folks to posting to an unlicensed section that our dedicated site Elmers (another new idea) could focus on and direct already-asked questions to already-posted answers.
    Agree, this has been going on for years now. Try doing a search for the thread “ is it just me “.

receiving emails containing scans...
    That's going to be a lot of email.

gladly snail-mail a postcard...
    That's going to be a lot of money.

To summarise, yes, you have a valid point, but I think what you're proposing is unfair (to yourself).

I'm guilty of allowing obvious pirates' posts, but I do try to explain the licensing situation - they obviously don't read (or don't care about) the header presented before logging in...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    That's going to be a lot of email.

That's going to be a lot of money.

To summarise, yes, you have a valid point, but I think what you're proposing is unfair (to yourself).

I'm guilty of allowing obvious pirates' posts, but I do try to explain the licensing situation - they obviously don't read (or don't care about) the header presented before logging in...
    I suppose i have no idea how much junk is already filtered put by site mods. To those already working behind the scenes doing what they can, thank you!

Im a moderator on a different site so i can offer an opinion with all honesty!

to a certain extent it would be a bit unfair to the members who haven't been able to get their license yet. (Iv'e been trying for almost year now only to have them canceled due to covid restrictions)

because its making it a ham only forum!
    while im in the process of studying and will be getting my license I am still a highly qualified electrician and electronics/ computer tech.
    and to instruct safety is paramount to me.

Many come here to learn about ham radio and to be able to post a question in sub-forums may be the only resource they have at that moment.
    a lot of people wanting to learn amateur radio have no idea of the existence of the arrl or many other resources, let alone know what or how to ask without coming off as a total idiot
    A better idea i believe would be an extensive FAQ and Reference sub-forum.
    there is where reference materials can be posted so elmer's wouldn't have to repeat themselves so often

to a point i can understand the annoyance of repeating your info!
    Ive found some new posters asking "what is the best you can get?" to be fishing for info for advertising.

its sneaky but effective!
    if you get no replies back for the info you put in then there's a good indicator of that being the case
    Last edited by gnuuser; Mon 28th Dec 2020 at 21:15.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

I appreciate the points you make very much. Perhaps my frustration got the best of me once again. I like what you suggest of a regulations section we can direct those issues to.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    A better idea i believe would be an extensive FAQ and Reference sub-forum.
    there is where reference materials can be posted so elmer's wouldn't have to repeat themselves so often
    This is probably the best alternative.
    Who wants to step up and lead the charge? Someone has to moderate it and filter things a bit, no small undertaking.

Agreed. I just had 19 teeth pulled and they didn't offer me as much as as aspirin. After I feel better, I will probably throw my name in that hat. Hopefully that task is taken on by a couple of us.

One of the reasons we are answering the same questions over and over again is because the people asking them have no idea what amateur radio is all about. They end up asking the same general questions over and over (and sometimes in multiple forums.) There have been occasions when the questions have been so general and vague that I refer the person to "Ham Radio For Dummies" by Ward Silver. This is probably the most basic, general book about ham radio and can give the beginner an idea about what they want to do with amateur radio. Only then can we answer their questions.

Id be glad and Honored to help moderate! (Ive been one on linuxinternationals for quite a few years now) so its no problem for me at all.
    was on lgu forum, Handsonautomation forum, ark forum and admin on a private phpbb training forum for the company i retired from.

another suggestion would be an elmers corner subforum ( this could simplify things a bit for moving info where needed)
    this could be set up with special password access for those who reliably want to be an elmer.
    kind of like a teachers lounge to discuss lesson plans etc.
    Last edited by gnuuser; Tue 5th Jan 2021 at 01:32.

Agreed. I just had 19 teeth pulled and they didn't offer me as much as as aspirin. After I feel better, I will probably throw my name in that hat. Hopefully that task is taken on by a couple of us.
    pulling that many teeth is a real b**ch!
    if you can get it cbd oil rubbed in the cheeks and jawbone around where teeth were pulled will help a lot
    and there is some cbd oil you can apply under the tongue that works very good
    ( I use it when arthritis flares up and it helps a lot)