Thread: Looking for ham station gear reccomendations

Default Looking for ham station gear reccomendations

Hello hams!

First of all, if this is not the right place to post this question, then my apologies.

I'm newer than a newbie: I haven't even taken my technician's test yet. I've been watching youtube videos, and I just started taking practice tests on an app.

One of the reasons that ham radio has appealed to me so much is that you can talk with people who are far away, not just in your area. I know that you need at least a general license to do that, so perhaps my question is putting the cart before the horse, seeing as how I don't even have a tech license yet.

So my question is this: what would be a good setup that would allow me to make long-range contacts (once I do get a general license) that isn't very expensive? I would like to go ahead and get that gear so that I can talk farther once I get the general license.

Thank you!

Don't count a Tech license short. With the digital modes like DMR, you can access the world.

Quote Originally Posted by K4CQO View Post
    Don't count a Tech license short. With the digital modes like DMR, you can access the world.
    Thank you for the comment!

How's that Technician licence coming along?
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

dont discount technician license and even though its not required for the license learn morse code for cw communications, purchase some qrp radio kits and build them. they are a valuable tool for learning. and it opens up a lot of bandwidth to you.
    learn how to make and build your own antennas
    Talk to us and other ham operators we are happy to help
    If you are interested in qrp kit radios Ill post a few links for you.
    Last edited by gnuuser; Sun 21st Feb 2021 at 22:15.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice