Thread: considering a modified cage dipole

Default considering a modified cage dipole

thinking of making a cage dipole with a little twist!
    a type of elongated bowtie design but with both vertical elevation and horizontal spread (picture a bowtie facing you and one on its face) wired in as a cage dipole.

antenna design software doesn't take the design.
    Id like to try this design on a 15 meter when i get the chance to build a 15 meter qrp transceiver.
    but for now i might try the design on 2 meter or 70 cm as a pilot test.

inner ends of dipole at a diameter of 1/2 inch and outer ends about 1 foot square ( for the 15 meter or 2 meter)
    and 6 inch square for 70 cm
    Last edited by gnuuser; Fri 18th Dec 2020 at 00:43.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

Sounds like a good NVIS antenna if you have good ground conductivity. The best use of caged dipoles i've seen, although not like what you say, is in the Russian woodpecker, the Duga array. If you look up pictures, they don't taper the caged elements linearly to the end, they go from the feed and rapidly extend out to the caged diameter and hold the diameter until nearly the ends of the dipoles. I have never modeled such an antenna, but I assume they did (somehow). I am not the guy to say they perfected it, but it sure did get out there and annoy some DX'ers!

theory of the caged dipole is the multiple conductors emulated a massive singular element.
    i think what Im emulating is a dual disk cone
    anyhow it'll be interesting.

after further study of this idea it would be far too broadband to suit the purpose of just one frequency. and would probably broadcast a lot of spurious interference.
    a properly constructed cage dipole would be better, and if i wanted different bandwidth a fan dipole would be the simplest effective answer.