Thread: ham hobby losing its magic?

Default ham hobby losing its magic?

on the qrz forum they have a topic about the ham hobby losing its magic. But its retricted to post in depending on your ranking or something else.
    It was talking about cw qso' and the frustration a lot of people face and a few other problems.

but the way i see it. too many people are not interested in qrp or learning. many of them just want on the air.
    while qrp may be frustrating to many , to me its interesting and fun to build your own equipment and antennas.

a lot of what i think is losing its magic is the fact that if you want a good system there are many manufacturers who want an arm and a leg and the left nut too! heck even may parts suppliers , cable suppliers are doing the same

you have many people snarfing up old equipment to part them out on ebay! and that's upsetting, How many good radios are being dismantled to part them out.

I want boat anchors i can restore and use because there is magic in those old tube sets when you get them working properly
    i dont care about waterfall displays, or color changing displays, give me the old eye tubes any day!

i dont know maybe its because Im old fashioned.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

The hobby is capable of providing a very large number of ways to enjoy it. We don't all have to be after the same thing. You can spend a lot of money and enjoy it or it can be done with a very limited budget. I think that's one of the things I like about it.

So really it can be a very magical experience even if many don't see it that way. The hobby, like any hobby, has no inherent magic. It's what it means and what it does for us individually.

So I don't think you're old fashioned because you have your own preferences with what you like with the hobby - that's what it's all about.

It isn't losing the magic so much as fewer people are seeking the magic. I get asked all of the time "why bother with all of this when you can just use a cellphone?" Either it intrigues you or it does not, and with cellphones and computers out there it just does not interest as many folks as it used to. I've built rigs and bought rigs and right now my favorite is a Xiegu G90 in an old fishing tackle bag with a battery pack and a Chameleon micro and extendable whip. I carry it everywhere and find a lot of opportunities to use it in some damn strange locations (at the 1500' platform of our 2000' broadcast tower for instance) and hopefully from the Continental Divide in W. Va this weekend. I get on the radio as often as I can, my best friend has less than zero interest in it. I really think the percentage of Amateur Operators compared to the less intelligent of the population is the same, just lot's more people now than 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempstar View Post
    I really think the percentage of Amateur Operators compared to the less intelligent of the population is the same, just lot's more people now than 20 years ago.
    nail on the head! if it doesn't have the flashy graphic interface most people have no clue what to do with it (nor the inclination to learn)
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

It could be that anybody with an interest in electronics, who sees inside some of the hi tech items being sold today, may be scared off of going any farther in the field. With the miniaturization of components it's easy to see that starting a project could be the beginning of a real headache, so why bother.

When I became interested in the late 40's it was an open field to go in any of a hundred directions, all in the name of radio. Especially when the WW2 war allowed such a choice of equipment in surplus sales. (I would love to know how many of the ARC-5's were sold! I got one of them and had a blast!)

There doesn't seem to be much of a source of items that can draw the attention of today's youth, so the computer games draw the crowd that otherwise might find radio interesting enough to invest time or money into.

Just my two cents.

Charlie