Thread: Breaking the silence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Breaking the silence

How is everyone enjoying the noisy band conditions? We have had a few little C-flares and the Kp has been hanging out in the 2 to 3 range offering up just enough geomagnetic instability to be an annoyance. On the positive side, the solar flux index went up a little bit today.

There has been a little bit of interesting propagation on the 11m band lately. Due to a broken wire antenna, I have not tried the ham bands in a week or so. Hoping to remedy that soon with the rising SFI. We had a bit of auroral-sounding propagation a couple days ago, and for the first time in a long while, the west coast came in on my vertical quite well. Normally, it is only the south/southeastern US hitting my antenna. It was a pleasant change aside from the s2-s3 noise.

Has anyone been shooting DX lately? How have the conditions been in your area?

Mars, Saturn and Jupiter have been in the night sky for some time now and that's been pretty cool. My scope is a bit puny for them but I did see Jupiter with three of its moons fairly well.

Haven't put an antenna up for months!

I didnt know that. Ill have to take a look tonight! I havent had a telescope in decades but it would still be fun to point at a dot in the sky and tell the girlfriend its mars!

I spent the last two days making a dual band tape measure beam. Its 5 element on 2m and 10 element on 70cm. It was not the simple project youtube makes it out to be. The 4 way PVC adapters were too wide to properly space the elements so they had to have the ends that slide over the support pipe trimmed off. And of course those adapters have an internal shoulder so they dont slide all the way over the pipe. I ended up finding an old socket that matched the pipe diameter and cut teeth into it to ream out the shoulder inside the 4 way adapters before cutting off the 2 ends. Using hose clamps to keep them in the right place i was able to apply the primer and cement through the hole in the adapters and spin the pipe inside it to glue them in place. Then, the 2m elements were so wide on the adapter they wouldnt sit flush across so i had to take the dremel to 5 of them. I ended up using super33 electrical tape to attach the elements and put rubber cement over the electrical tape so it stayed long term and used the pvc primer and cement to coat the element ends so they dont rust. I am very happy with how nice it looks and straight everything turned out. I still need to do the feed points/matching, balun, diplexer and really want to add a switchable attenuator for fox hunting. Long way to go yet.

Lotsa work!

I just finished building a Trex 470LP. That's enough for me!

when your working with pvc fittings you need to take into account the internal shoulders (they were designed to prevent the pipe from going too far into the intersecting paths and blocking water flow)
    when I built a 2m beam i compensated for the shoulders by trimming the difference from the element supports ( or measuring element length directly from the center of the beam)

I think though Im going to design a collapsible beam of 3/4 pvc, rubber tubing (or bungee straps), and #10 stranded wire probably 5 element yagi or log periodic.
    If i do I will post pics of it and dimensions.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    when your working with pvc fittings you need to take into account the internal shoulders (they were designed to prevent the pipe from going too far into the intersecting paths and blocking water flow)
    when I built a 2m beam i compensated for the shoulders by trimming the difference from the element supports ( or measuring element length directly from the center of the beam)

I think though Im going to design a collapsible beam of 3/4 pvc, rubber tubing (or bungee straps), and #10 stranded wire probably 5 element yagi or log periodic.
    If i do I will post pics of it and dimensions.
    I forgot to add a photo. This site does not allow me enough space so here is a google drive link to the antenna. You will see why I removed the PVC shoulder once you take a look. This pic is without the feed point finished. The antenna recently took a tumble and bent some of the elements so indestructible, tape measure beams are not! It is currently awaiting repair, been busy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ik7...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    I forgot to add a photo. This site does not allow me enough space so here is a google drive link to the antenna. You will see why I removed the PVC shoulder once you take a look. This pic is without the feed point finished. The antenna recently took a tumble and bent some of the elements so indestructible, tape measure beams are not! It is currently awaiting repair, been busy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ik7...ew?usp=sharing
    yeah I see what you mean there.
    bent backwards against a clamp can cause the tape measure to tear especially if it has been heated to solder.
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice