Thread: call sign change

Default call sign change

Hello

I am a ham radio operator with a call sign of KE5YVM which I recieved when I was traveling in my RV and had a mailing address in TX. I traveled for 12 years and now I am settled in Yerington, NV. My question is: when speaking on the radio the other operator will say " AHHH your based in TX " which I am not. Do I need to change my call sign or can I change my call sign ?

That's up to you really. It gets old after a while when a bunch of pedantics hit you with "the question", but you don't need to change your call sign unless you want to. You do need to keep FCC up to date with your mailing address, not a negotiable item.

I'm entertaining the idea of moving from Southern California to the state of Wyoming. It's likely I will keep my six-land call after the move.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    That's up to you really. It gets old after a while when a bunch of pedantics hit you with "the question", but you don't need to change your call sign unless you want to. You do need to keep FCC up to date with your mailing address, not a negotiable item.
    Okay, understand the FCC part. Let me put it another way " what do I have to do to change my call sign.

Thanks

Oh, easy peasy. Go to the FCC website like you did in '19, change your address and then request a systematic call sign. Or change the address with FCC and go to the ae7q site to check vanity call choices. http://www.ae7q.com/query/

Does that help?

well THANK YOU I have just now registered.

Bob

Anyone happen to know how LONG it takes to make a call sign change? or to get word back that you have been denied a change.

I did a vanity call earlier this year, took about 2-3 weeks, all done by email and web site.

For the OP, some operators would say W5xxx/6, etc. to ID their location. Probably only useful during contesting.

Dick, WR5RW
    Last edited by WR5RW; Sat 12th Dec 2020 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by N3FKV View Post
    I did a vanity call earlier this year, took about 2-3 weeks, all done by email and web site.

For the OP, some operators would say W5xxx/6, etc. to ID their location. Probably only useful during contesting.

Dick, WR5RW
    From what I have heard it is 18 days after you file starting and ending on a business day. This give others who file a request for the same "call sign" via the postal mail system on the same day, time for paper mail system to get the application in. So everyone who files on the same day "Guess they use post mark" is then entered in a lottery for the call sign requested.

In terms of others asking where your from if you add Mobile on the tail end I suspect that might help clear up the confusion. But people are still going to wonder your history. seems like a good conversation starter to me

Quote Originally Posted by ke5yvm View Post
    Hello

I am a ham radio operator with a call sign of KE5YVM which I recieved when I was traveling in my RV and had a mailing address in TX. I traveled for 12 years and now I am settled in Yerington, NV. My question is: when speaking on the radio the other operator will say " AHHH your based in TX " which I am not. Do I need to change my call sign or can I change my call sign ?
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    In this age of universal computer use and almost instantaneous internet response, this shouldn't be an issue. I would say that a great percentage—if not all—hams have a computer with internet access in their shacks. If there's a question about where someone is located, its a simple matter to look up the call sign on one of the many sites that list that information (QRZ.com, the FCC ULS or the ARRL, just to mention a few.) If the people questioning your location are too lazy to look it up, the burden is on them.