Thread: in response to mobile antenna height

Default in response to mobile antenna height

responding to a closed thread!
    Here in the US. minimum line heights are standard at 18 feet. so its unusual you will hit a line unless it has come loose from the pole.
    the major issue you may face is low bridges and overhangs on buildings.
    these are usually 13 foot 6 inches on many commercial buildings like mcdonalds.

Im not sure there is a legal limit on height but an overly high antenna may attract the attention of the local police. and may invite unintentional damage to your antenna or vehicle from unexpected low hanging obstructions.

performance wise depending on the type of antenna you want at least 2/3 of the antenna height above the cab and away from luggage racks.
    for example my k3 magnetic mount on the ford windstar needs to be directly in the center of the roof!
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

Thanks for the reply. If it was in response to my former question, the antenna is already installed. It is 102" mounted on a piece of flat stock designed to attach between the roof rack rails of a trail blazer and is centered on the roof with a ground strap to the roof sheet metal directly below. It took a little matching at the feed to make it like 10m, but it is working great. He hits a few low lines here and there, typically cable tv coax rigid line, but no damage has yet to occur to either as this only occurs in side alleys while driving very slow. As for law enforcement, they are ham friendly and he has his call sign on his license plate. No issue there.

adding a spring to the base of the whip also helps prevent damage.
    although the whip may sway a bit more, it doens't affect performance very much
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

Both of us started with a spring but took them off. These antennas are so heavy that they get to swinging around a ridiculous amount using the springs that came with them. I am sure there are stronger springs online, but I like the amount of bend mine has at 70MPH and havent had trouble yet. I can grab the whip and bend it all the way down to the tailgate without it pulling the magnets off mine, my friend can do the same with his rigid mount. I added a rope to mine so if it ever snaps the hardware, the whip isnt going into the car behind me. We are happy with them the way they are ~ works too good to change.