Thread: FTM-3100R fan question

Default FTM-3100R fan question

I have on of these in my vehicle and now want a 2m radio for my shack. My first choice for the shack would be the same radio but I'm concerned about the fan noise. Is there any firmware update or way to reduce the time that the fan runs?

your fan wants to be equipped with a temp sensor!
    worrying about fan noise is not a concern when its protecting your radio equipment, I hear this argument all the time with computer gamers.
    they will seriously overclock and under voltage their processors, memory and undervolt the cooling fan,
    all this seriously shortens the life of the electronics.

you can pick up quiet pc fans with a lot less noise than standard but they are designed to move air slower.
    firmware to control the fan speed! I havent seen anything like that outside of pc motherboards
    Im so old dirt was my apprentice

Most fan noise with regard to things in cases (like PC power supplies or RF amplifiers comes from air restriction and cavitation. It is a fluid dynamics issue. As for external heat sync fans, either buy a quieter one or add a bigger heat sync. But, DO NOT try to stop it from running, the radio wants it to run for a reason.

Most fan noise with regard to things in cases (like PC power supplies or RF amplifiers) comes from air restriction and cavitation (and can be readily diagnosed with a sheet of paper). It is a fluid dynamics issue. As for external heat sync fans, either buy a quieter one or add a bigger heat sync. But, DO NOT try to stop it from running, the radio wants it to run for a reason.