Thread: Computer Monitor Help Please

Default Computer Monitor Help Please

Hi all.

I'm trying to get a desktop computer to run a second monitor but although I have output to the second monitor it is only a mirror image of the first, I am unable to set it up as No2 and drag any open windows over to it.
    I have the main monitor plugged into the VGA port and the second to the DVI ??? port, I've been into display settings and asked it to detect second monitor but it can't, I've tried to update the drivers for the display adaptor but it says I have up to date drivers, now this computer has been upgraded by the previous owner to windows 10 from a company networked machine and although all works OK, device manager tells me I have the Microsoft basic adaptor which apparently is some sort of default setup when you've upgraded if I read that right and I suspect this might be the problem, perhaps this won't let me run two monitors as independents.

If anyone has had a similar problem or knows of a way around it I would be greatful of some advice, I've followed most of the advice you can find on You Tube but non of that has worked.

Cheers in advance.
    Steve (G6JEF)

Follow the instructions here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-dual-monitors

Pay particular attention to:

In the Multiple displays section, select an option from the list to determine how your desktop will display across your screens.
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

Thanks for that but got passed all that and collected the Tee shirts. I've done some further poking about and I'm pretty sure it's the fact that when Windows 10 was installed it removed all the details and drivers for the display adapter and leaves you with a basic set of instructions to get you monitor up and running so you can boot up your machine, unfortunately it's so basic it doesn't support 2 monitors other than just to mirror the first, it even removes the identity of your card so you can't tell what make it is, "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is a generic thing.
    Still working on it.....

What graphics card are you using?
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

Right click on desktop, select "screen resolution, click the second monitor or select it in the drop down menu and change it from "duplicate" to "extend the desktop"

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0JTP View Post
    What graphics card are you using?
    That's one of the problems, properties doesn't say as such, this desktop was new to me having been upgraded to windows 10 from I don't know what, possibly 7 or 8, it looks like it has been a networked device previously. From what I have learned so far and I could be wrong, when widows upgrades it strips out some of the drivers and replaces them with basic/generic drivers to get you up and running, this has meant that my display adapter is now called "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" not what the card makers name is.

I think there maybe a difference between just upgrading a currently installed Op system and flattening the hard drive and installing from fresh, I don't know which was done here.

Other than that the whole thing sings along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    Right click on desktop, select "screen resolution, click the second monitor or select it in the drop down menu and change it from "duplicate" to "extend the desktop"
    Thanks but I don't get that option from the desktop, I have to go through START / SETTINGS / DISPLAY. The option to setup a second display isn't there and I think it might be the fact that I'm running in Basic Display Adapter mode and it doesn't support 2 monitors (I assume). I think I need to update the drivers for the video card to give it back it's full functionality but when I do that it just say's drivers are up to date, which it would if it's only looking for the drivers it already has.

Apologies, i run windows 7. On windows 10, right click on desktop and select display settings. In the area that shows brightness (for laptops) and scale and layout, scroll down with the mouse roller. There sould be a section on multiple displays. If that fails, it may be that video card after all.

if your motherboard has a display output, try using that as one of the monitor outputs and the second on the card?