Thread: So much to learn

Default So much to learn

Greetings all! New to HAM, looking to purchase my first set up, but so many options and directions to go!!! I was looking to purchase a Kenwood TH-D74A, any opinions or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

I'd recommend a scanner to begin with. Don't spend millions, just something simple. If you want to spend millions, buy some good quality coaxial cable and a nice high antenna...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    I'd recommend a scanner to begin with. Don't spend millions, just something simple. If you want to spend millions, buy some good quality coaxial cable and a nice high antenna...
    Thanks for advise! Already on team scanner!

greetings fngham!
    it depends on what path you want to follow in ham radio.
    starting out you will get a lot of recommendations on what radio to choose and what radio to avoid. Many times by serious ham enthusiasts who would choose nothing but the best and to heck with the cost!
    and some will tell you to start small and learn properly.
    My choice was to start small.
    I have a Baofeng uv9r (handheld) and its not a bad radio as long as you take its limitations into account. It does what I need it to do!
    I also built a pixie 2 and a cricket 40 meter ( Both kit radios) they can surprise you for sure!
    and for monitoring I built an ozark patrol shortwave radio.
    the pixie was from a us seller and its a great little radio smaller than a pack of smokes, and in spite of it being a 1/2 watt radio it does get out there!
    the cricket and the ozark patrol radio were from the 4 state qrp group
    http://www.4sqrp.com/index.php
    these radios were easy to build and pleasantly surprise you when something you actually build works great.
    there are many here who can guide you as long as you let them know where your interest is.

73 Ted
    too much blood in my caffeine system.

The ability to communicate long distances with others and receiving emergency information have been the appeal for me, so wherever that takes me...I want my first radio to be able to perform multiple functions, so I wonít have to buy 3 radios when I can do the same with one, Iím still Greener then green!!! Thank you for the links!!!!

If I were starting out with a handheld, I would probably look at something with UHF/VHF and a digital mode to try, like an MD-UV380 or similar. Don't spend a lot initially as you will eventually find something you will like better or want to try.

A good beginner HF rig in my opinion is the Icom IC-7300 with touch screen.
    Icom-IC-7300.jpg