Thread: Yaesu ft-65 receiving, but not transmitting

Default Yaesu ft-65 receiving, but not transmitting

Hello, I'm a new tech trying to soak up as much as I can. I recently picked up a brand new Yaesu ft-65 and am having an issue with transmitting. It receives as clear as day, but doesn't transmit. I've tried several radio checks in one of our local area's weekly nets, as well as with other hams outside the net. I can't figure out what is going wrong.

I'm thinking I'm missing something in the settings that preventing it from transmitting. I manually programmed in my local repeaters, as well as gmrs and fire frequencies. I didn't change much else in the settings. Does anyone have any advice/ideas on what I should he looking at/for?

Thanks. Jay -KD2UOP

Are you trying to access a repeater? Most repeaters require a CTCSS (sometimes called a PL) tone on transmit to activate the repeater. It's possible you really are transmitting but your signal isn't getting into the repeater because you haven't programmed the correct tone.

Hi Jay,

Assuming the bar graph shoots across the screen when you hit the PTT.

Have a look at the top of the display. Is there a "-" or a "+" symbol. That would mean that when you transmit, you are shifting frequency away from the one you are listening on and no one will hear you when you are trying to work simplex. It's a common error to accidentally leave the repeater shift on after you've finished programming up memory channels with repeaters. We've all done it!

Once you've stored the frequency, repeater shift and CTCSS into a memory, you have to remember to go back to VFO undo all the repeater shift and ctcss settings you put into the VFO or it will just carry on using them, even when you change frequency.
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yes, I am trying to get on local repeaters. I do have the proper ctcss tone set, and I believe the proper squelch tone set as well.

2EOJTP, my settings are not saving once I switch frequencies. When I go back to my most used frequency, all of my settings do not save. It always changes from simplex back to +rep. I'm not sure what I need to do in order to have them save across all of my programmed frequencies. Some are also set for -rep, but none of them save simplex once select and save that option. I do get the bar graph that shoots up when I hit the ptt, but nothing is working.

I hit the vfo button to change out of memory mode and into vfo, and put in the same settings, but they won't stick once I change frequencies. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong there. Any suggestions?

Manually programming these things can be a trial in patience.

You need to have a look in the manual under the section for saving stuff into memory. I don't have an FT-65, so I can't give you a blow by blow account of how to do it.

Just keep in mind the basics:

The VFO means you are looking at the raw band and you can tune across it in the steps set in the menu. If you want to save a specific frequency with a bunch of customised settings (CTCSS, Repeater shift, Power level), you need to save it into a memory. Hence the radio has a VFO mode and a Memory mode.

The radio will have different power levels. Check to see which one you are set to. If you are set too low, the other stations may not hear you while you can hear them.

To use a simplex frequency to talk to another person on that same simplex frequency, you just need to be in the same mode (FM). Noting else needs to be activated.

To use a repeater, you need to listen on the output frequency of the repeater, and transmit into it on its input frequency with the correct CTCSS added. This means you need the repeater shift switched on (it will display a - or + in the display) and you will need to have a T on the display or perhaps TSQ.

Most radios have a thing called ARS (automatic repeater shift), this feature means the radio should know which frequencies are the repeater inputs, and it will automatically activate the repeater shift on those frequencies. If you buy a radio from a different region (Asia or Europe for example), the radio may be confused as to which frequencies are the correct ones for your region. This feature can be switched off in the menu. You then need to do it manually.

Good luck, half the fun is the learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayb8008 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Yes, I am trying to get on local repeaters. I do have the proper ctcss tone set, and I believe the proper squelch tone set as well.

2EOJTP, my settings are not saving once I switch frequencies. When I go back to my most used frequency, all of my settings do not save. It always changes from simplex back to +rep. I'm not sure what I need to do in order to have them save across all of my programmed frequencies. Some are also set for -rep, but none of them save simplex once select and save that option. I do get the bar graph that shoots up when I hit the ptt, but nothing is working.

I hit the vfo button to change out of memory mode and into vfo, and put in the same settings, but they won't stick once I change frequencies. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong there. Any suggestions?
    It may that you're not doing the final programming step which is to write the VFO entries to a memory channel. Check your manual for the proper keystrokes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0JTP View Post
    Manually programming these things can be a trial in patience.

You need to have a look in the manual under the section for saving stuff into memory. I don't have an FT-65, so I can't give you a blow by blow account of how to do it.

Just keep in mind the basics:

The VFO means you are looking at the raw band and you can tune across it in the steps set in the menu. If you want to save a specific frequency with a bunch of customised settings (CTCSS, Repeater shift, Power level), you need to save it into a memory. Hence the radio has a VFO mode and a Memory mode.

The radio will have different power levels. Check to see which one you are set to. If you are set too low, the other stations may not hear you while you can hear them.

To use a simplex frequency to talk to another person on that same simplex frequency, you just need to be in the same mode (FM). Noting else needs to be activated.

To use a repeater, you need to listen on the output frequency of the repeater, and transmit into it on its input frequency with the correct CTCSS added. This means you need the repeater shift switched on (it will display a - or + in the display) and you will need to have a T on the display or perhaps TSQ.

Most radios have a thing called ARS (automatic repeater shift), this feature means the radio should know which frequencies are the repeater inputs, and it will automatically activate the repeater shift on those frequencies. If you buy a radio from a different region (Asia or Europe for example), the radio may be confused as to which frequencies are the correct ones for your region. This feature can be switched off in the menu. You then need to do it manually.

Good luck, half the fun is the learning.
    The thing that's frustrating me the most is that I have ALL of these things programmed in the settings. I have the ARS turned on. I am transmitting on the highest power setting (5w). I have TSQ on the display. The repeater shift does show the + and - depending on the frequency. I've been through the manual multiple times and I'm pretty certain that I'm using all of the proper keystrokes, but something is not sticking. I know I must be doing something wrong, but I can't quite figure out what that is!!!

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

I have + or - and TTN on the display for for the repeaters.
    Think it's done from a menu setting on the function key, but was set up manually a while ago.
    So no TTN on show no go!
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

The thing that's frustrating me the most is that I have ALL of these things programmed in the settings. I have the ARS turned on. I am transmitting on the highest power setting (5w). I have TSQ on the display. The repeater shift does show the + and - depending on the frequency. I've been through the manual multiple times and I'm pretty certain that I'm using all of the proper keystrokes, but something is not sticking. I know I must be doing something wrong, but I can't quite figure out what that is!!!
    Change your TSQ setting to Tone only. With TSQ (Tone Squelch) the radio is looking for a tone from the repeater before it opens receive. Most repeaters DON'T send out a tone on transmit. Al they're looking for is the tone from the radio to open the repeater.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    Most repeaters DON'T send out a tone on transmit. Al they're looking for is the tone from the radio to open the repeater.
    That's interesting, I didn't know that. In the UK, pretty much every FM repeater sends a CTCSS out on transmit.

Isn't it annoying listening on a repeater frequency and hearing random distant signals and interference break the squelch?

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0JTP View Post
    That's interesting, I didn't know that. In the UK, pretty much every FM repeater sends a CTCSS out on transmit.

Isn't it annoying listening on a repeater frequency and hearing random distant signals and interference break the squelch?
    Keep in mind we're a lot more spread out than you are.

It isn't critical where I live, even though I'm in a big city (San Diego). We have a number of Yaesu C4FM repeaters that are set to AMS mode so they will repeat whatever kind of signal they receive. This can be annoying to those with analog only radios as they will hear static instead of the digital signal. For this reason, the repeater owners (my club has two) will set a tone on TX, usually the same as the RX tone, so the analog radios won't pick up the static.

We have several UHF repeaters in town that use the same frequency pair but different PL tones and it's possible to hear traffic on one repeater on another. It's not as much of a problem as it would seem, but it allowed me to connect with a new ham in the Long Beach area and offer her some suggestions for something she was trying to accomplish.

Change your TSQ setting to Tone only. With TSQ (Tone Squelch) the radio is looking for a tone from the repeater before it opens receive. Most repeaters DON'T send out a tone on transmit. Al they're looking for is the tone from the radio to open the repeater.
    Thank you for this! I have since changed that setting, and the HT works wonderfully now! I now have another issue with another HT. I recently bought an Alinco DJ-MD5 based on the reviews I read about it. I also wanted it in case I wanted to eventually explore DMR, which this HT is capable of. I am having a problem with changing the squelch to tone in the Alinco though. Every time I try to set it to tone, I get the error message of "set fail". Is there something someone can recommend as far as that goes? I cannot change the squelch to tone no matter what I try.

I apologize if this new question is in the wrong forum. I just figured I'd post in here since it goes hand in hand with the Yaesu issue i was having.

Congrats on solving the CTCSS issue on the FT-65.

You might want to post the Alinco question in the Alinco section. Probably more likely to get a response from an owner if they can actually see it posted.

Thank you for this! I have since changed that setting, and the HT works wonderfully now! I now have another issue with another HT. I recently bought an Alinco DJ-MD5 based on the reviews I read about it. I also wanted it in case I wanted to eventually explore DMR, which this HT is capable of. I am having a problem with changing the squelch to tone in the Alinco though. Every time I try to set it to tone, I get the error message of "set fail". Is there something someone can recommend as far as that goes? I cannot change the squelch to tone no matter what I try.

I apologize if this new question is in the wrong forum. I just figured I'd post in here since it goes hand in hand with the Yaesu issue i was having.
    Congratulations on solving your issue. glad to be of service.

As far as your Alinco is concerned, I can't help you there. Sorry. (I'm having issues sorting out DMR myself...)

Congratulations on solving your issue. glad to be of service.

As far as your Alinco is concerned, I can't help you there. Sorry. (I'm having issues sorting out DMR myself...)
    Did you post about your DMR issues? I'd like to follow/save that thread to help me through if I decide to jump into DMR myself.

Did you post about your DMR issues? I'd like to follow/save that thread to help me through if I decide to jump into DMR myself.
    We have an active and vibrant amateur radio community in San Diego. If I need help, I usually go to someone in my club or one of the other local organizations. I've seen too many instances where well-meaning forum users really have no clue at all.