Thread: noob that needs help with antenna not working

Default noob that needs help with antenna not working

Hi I'm sorry my English not so good. I buy bofang uv-9s radio to listen on never broadcast and I buy a tram antenna for my car and the antenna not doing anything but if I go the the rubber duck it came with it kinda pick thing up but come is really bad I wonts good signal frome in car but don't have money's to jest keep trying antennas did I buy wrong antenna or adapter I dont understand whuts wrong
    Antenna i but
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045EQUBK..._kzOzFbNAZ86HD

Adapter I buy
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COKNKS8..._GAOzFbXEJXB04

Please help or suggest a antenna that works

It's very possible the problem is not the antenna but the radio. Baofengs are noted for having bad front ends that are easily overloaded by better antennas. I know my UV-5R goes deaf when I hook it to a good outdoor antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    It's very possible the problem is not the antenna but the radio. Baofengs are noted for having bad front ends that are easily overloaded by better antennas. I know my UV-5R goes deaf when I hook it to a good outdoor antenna.
    Is thare any way with out me having a lissens yet to test this or do I jest need to find a club and get some help

And whus with u suggest me to save money up for a good radio my plan is to save up and when I take my test and pass im going to buy something good but I'd have to say I'd guess someware arownd 150 200 at most for a radio that will be going in my car I got the bofang jest to listen and see if this is something I wont to spend money on

Thanks for the helpful

Maybe there's a female (SMA) connector on the radio, the adapter you bought has a female end. A male-to-male SMA should fix that...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    Maybe there's a female (SMA) connector on the radio, the adapter you bought has a female end. A male-to-male SMA should fix that...
    Thanks this comment made me go look at the adapter and it whus not connecting with the center pin i have this working now because i saned the tip down as much as I whus able to and now ots working great picking up stuff Nice and clean can't wait to take my test and hopefully I will pass

If I am reading your post correctly it sounds to me that this is an issue with your radio. I say this because you describe no functionality with the external antenna and limited reception with the antenna that comes with the radio. As mentioned above, the Baofengs are hit or miss with regards to quality. I was lucky with my UR5V and it works great, but for every person who reports that theirs works, there is someone who says the opposite.

I would recommend finding another local user with a similar handheld and try your antenna on it, if the antenna work on their radio, it is not the antenna. But even without that test, due to the simplicity of the antenna, as long as there are no obvious defects to it, I am afraid that it is the radio.

Best of luck!

Jason

sometimes you can buy an antenna for your radio that hasnt been tuned properly.
    I built a portable 2 meter vertical with ground plane that I connect to my uv9r and it works great!
    I tuned the antenna with a nanovna!
    too much blood in my caffeine system.

Not sure if anyone noticed but he said he got it working.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericspof View Post
    Thanks this comment made me go look at the adapter and it whus not connecting with the center pin i have this working now because i saned the tip down as much as I whus able to and now ots working great picking up stuff Nice and clean can't wait to take my test and hopefully I will pass