Thread: Help me get started using a Alinco DR-112

Default Help me get started using a Alinco DR-112

new to the hobby. My first radio is a Alinco DR-112 bought used. with no manual. Unit lights up. but I hear nothing from the speaker no matter what frequency is chosen. I have no clue what the buttons mean or do, and there seems to be two levels of buttons? One in blue and the other in white. how to access the different levels is a mystery. The mic has several buttons, numbers and 4 letters and slide switches that are all a mystery. radio is attached to a horizontal dipole antenna. I heard word that there is a local repeater in my town. I don't know the frequency though. HELP! detailed help please, and have patience with me as i learn, i wil have many questions i sense. Thank you every one!

For a PDF of the manual: https://rigreference.com/documents/5...f-0ac2b21259d7

Have a read, feel free to ask questions once you know how to operate the radio.

In regards to the questions you have that the user manual will not answer:

A horizontal dipole is not usually appropriate for VHF FM. You will need a vertical antenna tuned for the VHF ham band if you want to hear, let alone talk to anyone else. It needs to be resonant around 144-148 MHz, but it will allow you to receive much further afield than those 4MHz it's resonant at.

Go to www.repeaterbook.com for a list of current repeaters. This is a really useful website, and it's also available as an app for your smartphone, so you can look repeaters up based on where you are at the time.
    Last edited by 2E0JTP; Sat 19th Sep 2020 at 11:19.
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0JTP View Post
    For a PDF of the manual: https://rigreference.com/documents/5...f-0ac2b21259d7

Have a read, feel free to ask questions once you know how to operate the radio.

In regards to the questions you have that the user manual will not answer:

A horizontal dipole is not usually appropriate for VHF FM. You will need a vertical antenna tuned for the VHF ham band if you want to hear, let alone talk to anyone else. It needs to be resonant around 144-148 MHz, but it will allow you to receive much further afield than those 4MHz it's resonant at.

Go to www.repeaterbook.com for a list of current repeaters. This is a really useful website, and it's also available as an app for your smartphone, so you can look repeaters up based on where you are at the time.
    your dipole can be used vertical with quite good results but it must be correctly sized and tuned to the frequency you are using
    to make a vertical dipole its often better to use solid wire or tubing (1/2 wave) you can make it 1/4 wave but it wont be as efficient
    the arrl's website and handbook are great resources ( the antenna handbook gives you an in depth look into antenna theory and construction(a lot of it))
    too much blood in my caffeine system.

please clarify what you mean by nothing from the speakers?
    buying a used radio you should expect there is some reason it was for sale.
    often its an estate sale but sometimes people will sell a malfunctioning radio as parts.
    a faulty amplifier, a burned out audio output transformer. burned out speaker can all leave no sound output at all!
    poor/ mismatched antenna and it connections can lead to interference and a lot of static noise and poor reception
    too much blood in my caffeine system.