Thread: UV5R vs UV82

Default UV5R vs UV82

What's the difference, and is the UV82 a better model radio for a beginner like myself.
    I own a Tenway UV5R Pro which I've been listening on until I take my test later this month. For the most part though, I'd like to know if getting the UV82 would be much of a step up. If not, which hand held would anyone recommend as a next step up.

Looking at Amazon, both these radios sell for less than 30 in the UK (that's about the equivalent of $40 US). Neither of them are very good. They are both bargain bucket hand held radios.

If you want to pick up a hand held radio that should be easier to operate and that should work without causing you or other radio users interference or problems, have a look at something like the Yaesu FT-4XR Web Link for about $75.

In the long run, and depending on how you intend to operate, you may be better served by picking up a mobile style radio and an external antenna. They can be used at home as well as in a vehicle. They offer much better functionality and potential range, but are useless if you want to keep them in your pocket.
    Last edited by 2E0JTP; Thu 17th Sep 2020 at 19:04.
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK