Thread: Ic-7100 MARS mod

Default Ic-7100 MARS mod

I have just MARS moded my IC-7100 and it works great except It won't transmit on AM on the aircraft band. It will on FM and SSB but not AM which is the aviation mode. I was hoping it would work as I would like to install this radio in a friend's plane. Is there a way to open AM up on that band? Thanks for your help.

Ungh........ really?

Yeah, there's a way - buy a radio built for the task. Why would you consider going cheap on any aspect of an aircraft? Would you use discount store fasteners on the airframe or powerplant? 87 octane gas with e-20 blend?

For some reason I find the mindset offensive today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanguypataterubberboot View Post
    I have just MARS moded my IC-7100 and it works great except It won't transmit on AM on the aircraft band. It will on FM and SSB but not AM which is the aviation mode. I was hoping it would work as I would like to install this radio in a friend's plane. Is there a way to open AM up on that band? Thanks for your help.
    What are the aviation authority rules regarding the use of wide-banded amateur radio equipment in aircraft, isn't it quite strict?
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

That radio wouldn't be type certified for use on the aviation bands.

I don't understand why people continue to mod their radios, even though MARS is virtually extinct.

I would be more concerned with asking your radio to transmit through a filter unit it wasn't designed for. I have a big box of old 38-42MHz commercial Motorola radios. They are not being used on 6m because there are too many internal adjustments to the filter components to make it worth my time. A company like ICOM purchases components that are capable of operating on a variety of frequencies. The rest of the radio is designed around just the frequencies it was intended to be used on. Just because you can open up the radio and make one or two simple modifications to change what frequencies a radio can produce doesn't mean the radio can handle operating on them. CB'ers do this all the time, and luckily for them, 11m is close enough to 10m for many radios to operate undamaged. MURS is a similar situation. However, you are asking a circuit that was intended to properly pass 146MHz to operate on 120MHz. The commercial Motorola radios I mentioned can be easily destroyed by programming in a frequency outside the intended range even though the radio and software accepts the programming. A radio full of internal reflections from impedance mismatches through the filter unit is not reliable enough for aviation use. Get a radio designed for aviation.

And if you look at the sales brochure, you will see that the radio wasn't designed to be used on AM at all above the 6m band.
    Last edited by brandon lind; Wed 16th Sep 2020 at 20:48.