Thread: New guy, getting started

Default New guy, getting started

Hello everyone and greetings from Finland. I'm new to this hobby and advice are welcome. I dont know much about amateur radio, and my first question is; how good is yaesu ft-450d to start with? I'm looking for a long-term equipment, and I'd like to hear your opinion. Thanks!

Hi, Spreelock; welcome to the hobby.

I have this radio, and it was my first HF rig. The variety of radios was so bemusing, I just wanted something to get started. It turns out that this radio does most things that I could ever need. You could spend 4x as much money, but this will do for many years. It has a built in ATU, which will match many aerials.

Have a look at the reviews on eHam:

https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=9529

Thanks,

Chris
    UK

The FT-450D was designed with new hams in mind. It's literally the perfect HF starter.

It's a keeper.
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

Hey, thanks for the reply. I checked the reviews, and it seems a good start. Though, i'm not sure about getting external tuner or antenna..

external tuners often work well and actually you can build them quite easily.
    some from kits are compact and with care are fairly easy to assemble.
    or you can get a list of components and build them from scratch, I have a chinese kit tuner and built it and it works fine.
    but due to its size it only has bnc connectors. It is a t circuit tuner.
    I also built an L tuner from scratch ( with both bnc and pl259 )
    its not necessary to purchase one but you can if you want to. to me its more satisfying to build them.:
    too much blood in my caffeine system.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreelock View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I checked the reviews, and it seems a good start. Though, i'm not sure about getting external tuner or antenna..
    It all depends on your operating conditions.

If you have the room, make an antenna that is resonant on the frequency or frequencies you wish to use. This just takes space, a bit of time, and lots of wire.

If you have to compromise on antennas due to space restrictions or because you don't want your backyard to look like a spaghetti factory, then think about using an antenna matcher ( "tuner" ) to enable you to work frequencies that your antenna isn't designed to work on.

Just remember, an antenna tuner doesn't tune an antenna, it just matches a 50 ohm impedance, so that way your radio doesn't fry itself with reflected power. A poor signal is better than no signal, but it's going to be poorer than an antenna built for the frequency.
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK