Thread: Fresh Face On The Block

Default Fresh Face On The Block

Hello everyone. Just joined, and wanted to say Hey to everyone.
    A bit of info about me. I'm seriously exploring ham radio as another hobby. I've been researching it, and have found I think I'll be getting into it heavily, but have a couple questions.
    I know about the license part, which I'm preparing for as we speak. What I am muddy about is the legality of Baofeng hand held radios. I've got my eye on the UV-5RE+, but get conflicting reports of if it's legal or not.
    Also, I'm wondering if chatting with others over great distances is as fun as it seem?

The UV-5RE+ appears to only be an analog radio. If you go to digital, it opens up an entire different world of opportunities -- provided there is a DMR repeater close by or you also can budget in a hotspot. With DMR, it open up the world to you instead of your neighborhood that is accessible using an analog repeater.

Since you mentioned that you want to use this as another hobby, exploring digital is a suggestion -- and it entails a lot to learn about to get comfortable and understand DMR.

I know a lot of people get the Baofeng radios, I have an Anytone 878+ which I really like -- but it is more expensive than the
    UV-5RE+.

Quote Originally Posted by K4CQO View Post
    The UV-5RE+ appears to only be an analog radio. If you go to digital, it opens up an entire different world of opportunities -- provided there is a DMR repeater close by or you also can budget in a hotspot. With DMR, it open up the world to you instead of your neighborhood that is accessible using an analog repeater.

Since you mentioned that you want to use this as another hobby, exploring digital is a suggestion -- and it entails a lot to learn about to get comfortable and understand DMR.

I know a lot of people get the Baofeng radios, I have an Anytone 878+ which I really like -- but it is more expensive than the
    UV-5RE+.
    Thanks for the advice, and will look into it. I did finally decide to get the Tenway UV-5RE Pro though, which I received today. For right now, all I want to do until I get my license to transmit, is listen, and learn how these radios operate (which is why I chose to start cheap). Once I get use to it, and get into it, I'll be stepping up my radio game, including base and mobile units (btw, which would be a nice digital hand held to start off with, because that would be my next move up).
    In the meantime, again, thanks for you advice.

If you are really serious about ham radio then rather than spend money on a cheap baofeng you can always consider a dmr radio.

One of the best options in my opinion is the BTech DMR 6x2. Only on sale in USA ATM.
    https://baofengtech.com/dmr-6x2

Always worth watching a few reviews before you decide what works for you.
    https://youtu.be/PS2BlAfB15A