Thread: Noob

Default Noob

I've had my General license for over a year and have done absolutely nothing with it. I have a Yaesu VX-8DR and I've tried to program it with CHIRP. I've downloaded the driver for my the cable I purchased from Valley Enterprises, downloaded CHIRP, tried to program the radio and I keep getting an error saying Failure to communicate with the radio: No response from radio. I assume it has something to do with the USB driver since it happens no matter whether the radio is off or on.

I am using a MacBook Pro and tried various driver downloads. I pulled out an old Windows based computer and tried that route and have the same problem. I just can't figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions on what I can try?

Hi from UK. I also have a VX-8 handy. But never tried to program it. So if you work it out, pop back & tell us the solution.

When l got that handy it was one of the best. But technology has moved on leaps & bounds. DMR radios is the way to go now. Amongst the best l have seen is only available in USA. I have considered importing one. Talking about the BTech DMR-6x2 (it's an Anytone on steroids).

73. Jim

Hi nettak,

That sounds like a COM port issue.

Assuming you have the correct USB cable driver, have you confirmed the CHIRP software is looking at the correct COM port?

There should be a menu option within CHIRP to see what COM port you are trying to use.

... also: I'm assuming you are following Yaesu's instructions on how to enter 'programming' mode on the radio. It's probably not just a case of plugging it into the computer, you usually have to press buttons while turning the radio on to enter a 'clone' mode. The manual would tell you that though.
    Last edited by 2E0JTP; Sun 6th Sep 2020 at 11:00.
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Talking about the BTech DMR-6x2 (it's an Anytone on steroids).

73. Jim
    I'm curious now. What exactly can the BTech DMR-6x2 do that the Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS cant?
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK