Thread: Echo w transmission AT878UV+

Default Echo w transmission AT878UV+

Iím looking for assistance to troubleshoot my Any Tone 878uv plus or my technique. Iím told I have an echo when I transmit; 5/5 with strong echo. No luck when asking for help on radio or in internet search. I have adjusted my mic gain trying each setting 1-4. Also tried holding radio close or further away, as well as talking louder and softer. Tried 2 different antennas too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are my thoughts on echo ...

If you are causing the echo, then it would be heard when others are talking, not when you are talking. Echo means that something away from you is causing the echo -- caused by a reflection of you voice signal coming back to you from a circuit -- like going from a 4-wire to a 2-wire connection -- like was done by phones. 4-wire means that the transmit and receive go over different paths. 2-wire means that the seam path is used in both directions.

I am guessing it is something that is caused by the connection that you are using -- either the repeater or the hotspot. If possible, see if you can connect to a different repeater, or it you are using a hotspot, try a different internet connection.

An echo is heard when the return of the signal is more then 40 ms or so later from the original signal. You did not say if you heard the echo, or if it was only people that you were talking to -- and if it is your voice that is echoing or if it is an echo of the other's voice that they are hearing when connected to you. That may help determine where the problem is.

I have been on conference calls, where a person's connection causes echo for everyone else. Them going on mute solved the problem. So, my guess is that there is something in your connection -- so not the radio settings but the way that you are getting to DMR.

Another thought, are you using an external speaker at all? Audio feedback between the mic and speaker could cause echo -- but again that would be when others are speaking and unlikely an issue with DMR since DMR is not a duplex connection (meaning that both can talk at the same time), DMR is only a single connection -- only one way communication at a time (only one person talking at a time).

More details required.

Are you talking simplex, to a HotSpot, or a local repeater?

Do you have more than one HotSpot running at the time of the echo?

Are you using a Bluetooth speaker mic?

Are the people who are reporting the echo, on a Yaesu Fusion or D-Star connected reflector, while you are accessing via the DMR network at the time of the echo?

... are you in a really big empty room?
    MB6IGK Fusion WiRES-X Digital Gateway on 434.5125 MHz in Gillingham, Kent, UK

Quote Originally Posted by K4CQO View Post

If you are causing the echo, then it would be heard when others are talking, not when you are talking. Echo means that something away from you is causing the echo -- caused by a reflection of you voice signal coming back to you from a circuit -- like going from a 4-wire to a 2-wire connection -- like was done by phones. 4-wire means that the transmit and receive go over different paths. 2-wire means that the seam path is used in both directions.

I am guessing it is something that is caused by the connection that you are using -- either the repeater or the hotspot. If possible, see if you can connect to a different repeater, or it you are using a hotspot, try a different internet connection.

An echo is heard when the return of the signal is more then 40 ms or so later from the original signal. You did not say if you heard the echo, or if it was only people that you were talking to -- and if it is your voice that is echoing or if it is an echo of the other's voice that they are hearing when connected to you. That may help determine where the problem is.

I have been on conference calls, where a person's connection causes echo for everyone else. Them going on mute solved the problem. So, my guess is that there is something in your connection -- so not the radio settings but the way that you are getting to DMR.

Another thought, are you using an external speaker at all? Audio feedback between the mic and speaker could cause echo -- but again that would be when others are speaking and unlikely an issue with DMR since DMR is not a duplex connection (meaning that both can talk at the same time), DMR is only a single connection -- only one way communication at a time (only one person talking at a time).
    Thanks for information. No hotspot, external mic or Bluetooth device attached. It is my voice the people on other end are hearing echo. I will connect on a different repeater today. I read the manual last night and reviewed my codeplug. My novice abilities may be holding me back, but it sure looks like I have the radio set up correctly.

KE0SMR

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0JTP View Post
    More details required.

Are you talking simplex, to a HotSpot, or a local repeater?

Do you have more than one HotSpot running at the time of the echo?

Are you using a Bluetooth speaker mic?

Are the people who are reporting the echo, on a Yaesu Fusion or D-Star connected reflector, while you are accessing via the DMR network at the time of the echo?

... are you in a really big empty room?
    Lol. I thought it could be the room! Same complaints outside. I was asked to look for echo or reverb switch...that was funny after I spent time looking for it.

Local repeater use. I havenít tried simplex and no hotspot yet.

No Bluetooth or external mic attached.

I donít know other folks equipment. I think the repeater is one that allows all digital types to talk. Not often do I see a card come up; radio ID.

I will try another repeater today. I could try simplex to my other HT. I hope to figure out parrot, too.

Thank you in the interest of solving my issue.

KE0SMR

Not a big room, lol. I also couldnít find a reverb or echo switch...lol

No externals hooked upómic, speaker, hotspot, or BT.

Reviewing manual and codeplug, I think Iím set up correctly. I will try a different repeater today.

One odd thing I heard last night. Same conversation on two repeaters. Am I supposed to close a talk group before trying another? Maybe Iím hitting both repeaters?

How do you have the 2 receive paths set-up. It sounds like you have both set to DMR repeaters. That could be the issue.

I have mine set with one to DMR repeater (with the zones) and the other to analog repeaters (with zones) and are on different bands. Having both to different repeaters listening to the same TG is odd, and do not know if that would cause the echo.

Try taking one of the receivers off of the DMR repeater -- and be sure that you do not have promiscuous mode set -- digital monitor off -- my guess is that you have digital monitor set to both.

How do you have the 2 receive paths set-up. It sounds like you have both set to DMR repeaters. That could be the issue.

I have mine set with one to DMR repeater (with the zones) and the other to analog repeaters (with zones) and are on different bands. Having both to different repeaters listening to the same TG is odd, and do not know if that would cause the echo.

Try taking one of the receivers off of the DMR repeater -- and be sure that you do not have promiscuous mode set -- digital monitor off -- my guess is that you have digital monitor set to both.
    Got it. The repeater channel was set to A+D. I switched it to analog. I turned off promiscuous mode. Received reports on both analog and digital tonight. Nice to find help troubleshooting on here. Thx. 73