Thread: New way of CW exchange

Default New way of CW exchange

Hi,
    I recently learnt a bit about WSPR, and it's very narrow bandwidth. I wondered why, as CW has less information than the short sentence used in WSPR does it need such a wide bandwidth, compared to WSPR. I understand that WSPR is sent at intervals, where CW needs to be live or as near to live as possible.

When I'm thinking, I prefer to be uninformed, so as not to be too biased. so far I know that WSPR send a short sentence of location, callsign etc and CW has Dots Dashes and spaces.

I've seen an image of what a WSPR signal looks like and would like to know how the varying wave is produced, in as simple way as possible please.
    C.

Here is the wiki explanation, it says the bandwidth necessary is 50Hz, whereas a CW could, theoretically, be narrower at 1Hz.
    I have personally not used WSPR, but it looks like a system like RTTY with the advantage of "in-between" tones, allowing for more throughput.
    Actually producing the tones can be done several ways, all requiring a stable timebase. You could modify the transmitter frequency of a continuous wave to give the FSK, or, more commonly, send different tones to an SSB transmitter.