Thread: Church Radio Set

Default Church Radio Set

This is not specific to ham radio, but I am assisting the church with their radio endeavor. Weve used vhf radios since I can remember and they work well. That being said, they are discussing adding to the set, with a possibility of replacing them all. The questions I have for them so far are...

...aside from being able to communicate across the campus will these be used elsewhere for outreach or events (distance).

...how important is security (others not being able to listen in without some knowledge of radio operations) I am thinking dmr/800 or 900 MHz if it is.

...Do they want independent operations or is WiFi operation okay, if so maybe an app like Zello.

...price they are willing to spend on the system set into place.

...do they want to use licensed or unlicensed frequencies for this operation?

My question is, can you think of any other questions to be added to this to make sure I am as thorough as possible?
    73s, God bless and good day. KD9KVS
    I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    This does not define me.

I would ask if their current radios are licensed as abandoning an active license would seem unwise. What frequency do they currently run on VHF, a MURS color dot one or something licensed?

Id also be curious if there will be mobile radios set up for the vans used on away events. I know the church I used to go to took trips. I recall once going skiing with the church.

Also, if you intend to go with a MURS frequency moving forward, i would spend some time monitoring the frequencies for activity (is there a walmart nearby?)
    Last edited by brandon lind; Wed 12th Aug 2020 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    I would ask if their current radios are licensed as abandoning an active license would seem unwise. What frequency do they currently run on VHF, a MURS color dot one or something licensed?

Id also be curious if there will be mobile radios set up for the vans used on away events. I know the church I used to go to took trips. I recall once going skiing with the church.

Also, if you intend to go with a MURS frequency moving forward, i would spend some time monitoring the frequencies for activity (is there a walmart nearby?)
    I did not give background, my apologies and thanks for bringing that up. Current is vhf, if it was licensed at one point it has possibly lapsed, or it was not known a license was needed. I have done some digging to try to find out to no avail. I was able to contact the company the original radios were purchased from and obtain frequencies and tones. I need to remember to see where it falls in the band chart<this is a note to myself <

MURS is something Ive considered, but thought the same that if there is a license, there is no point in foregoing that.

I love the point about inter-vehicle communication and had not considered that. Id only considered other venues. Thank you Brandon.
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Churches in this area use VLP (very low power) broadcast band FM in the church parking lot on Sundays. They seem to do pretty well.

Apostolic or apocalyptic, though?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Churches in this area use VLP (very low power) broadcast band FM in the church parking lot on Sundays. They seem to do pretty well.

Apostolic or apocalyptic, though?
    Apostolic . We are able to have in person services here, it is more of a communication need than anything. I was looking at the low power fm transmitters recently considering a mini drive in theater. Give people something to do at least.
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

KVS - If you can find a used Ramsey FM stereo transmitter on eBay or wherever, and it's in working condition, that might fill the bill. I built one WAY back when Ramsey sold the kits, warning the user that the output was greater than ten mW, or 100 mW. One thousand milliwatts! I found a nice wide spot on FM that wasn't being used, connected my 2m/70cm antenna and played "Carmina Burana" while I drove in a radius of about half a mile from my house. Not a problem at all. Then I put it away. Still toy with it now and then.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.