Thread: Windows 3.1 to Yaesu 757gx

Default Windows 3.1 to Yaesu 757gx

Big step for me using C.A.T. To control my rig. The problem that I am having is getting the information from windows xp format floppy, onto my ibm windows 3.1 laptop. I cannot seem to get the information to transfer either way to operate. The serial port works on both machines, but terminal is missing off of the windows 3.1 laptop. Does anyone have any ideas for me on this? I donít want to run it through an emulator, but an original machine.

It is an original 3.1 ibm, no usb, no Ethernet, does have pcmi slots, but getting the software on 3.5 floppy to run that does not seem a possibility. Thank you.
    73s, God bless and good day. KD9KVS
    I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    This does not define me.

I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious, but if the latter even Microsoft stopped supporting 19 years ago, it maybe time to upgrade.
    Paul, MōTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

You could try laplink if your XP machine has a serial port, transfer the files over that way, otherwise, try an ethernet PCMCIA card?

I would take the hard drive out of the 3.1 system and temporarily connect it to the XP system via IDE cable just like the XP systems HDD and use XP OS to copy the files to the other HDD then reinstall the HDD in the 3.1 computer. If the XP system uses SATA instead of IDE (which i doubt), you can find a usb to IDE controller used with older external hard drives to do the same job.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    You could try laplink if your XP machine has a serial port, transfer the files over that way, otherwise, try an ethernet PCMCIA card?
    Okay Iíll give laplink a shot first. Is it fairly straightforward on operation? Iím going to look it up as soon as I get off here. The one thing I was unsure on about the cards, is I could not remember if the software was on the cards or how they operated. I suppose google probably has the answer, but Iím more of a hands on, letís communicate guy. Thank you.
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    I would take the hard drive out of the 3.1 system and temporarily connect it to the XP system via IDE cable just like the XP systems HDD and use XP OS to copy the files to the other HDD then reinstall the HDD in the 3.1 computer. If the XP system uses SATA instead of IDE (which i doubt), you can find a usb to IDE controller used with older external hard drives to do the same job.
    Okay, Iíve got a couple xp machines so I will find one that will allow it if the laplink software does not work. Great idea thank you!! I need to see if Iíve got one of those cards floating around as well.
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Quote Originally Posted by M0TZO View Post
    I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious, but if the latter even Microsoft stopped supporting 19 years ago, it maybe time to upgrade.
    Serious as a heart attack. I have newer operating systems, but full dos operation is required to use the C.A.T. On the 757. I love the rig, and prefer solid state over digital personally. I have seen some cool things about digital, but I cannot afford to upgrade. The 757 was a gift from someone who Repairís wwii radios and wanted his shelf space back. I like to use what I have and keep it in good repair rather than upgrade and spend money I donít have. I have the emulators for my newer machines, and may wind up using that to start, but I like the feel of the old machines. May seem odd to some, itís just me . Thank you for responding.
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

I use linux and an emulator called dosemu!
    it will run any dos based program made.
    example our factory just got rid of moore technology themocouple controls.
    and i saved the program and a couple controllers.
    built a usb interface and can program them with the linux netbook.

(annoyed the hell out of our plant engineer! he said they could only be run on a micro-soft machine using dos only)

the man is smart but his arrogance squeezed out his common sense a long time ago
    too much blood in my caffeine system.

Quote Originally Posted by KD9KVS View Post
    Big step for me using C.A.T. To control my rig. The problem that I am having is getting the information from windows xp format floppy, onto my ibm windows 3.1 laptop. I cannot seem to get the information to transfer either way to operate. The serial port works on both machines, but terminal is missing off of the windows 3.1 laptop. Does anyone have any ideas for me on this? I don’t want to run it through an emulator, but an original machine.

It is an original 3.1 ibm, no usb, no Ethernet, does have pcmi slots, but getting the software on 3.5 floppy to run that does not seem a possibility. Thank you.
    dos floppies can be copied to a usb stick or cd using a desktop with floppy and cd.
    once copied it can be installed from the cd or usb( for usb you need a program called unetbootin to create a boot-able usb drive)
    ( if you can find an image of the dos version you want unetbootin may be able to creat a dos boot drive from the usb)

the situation you are facing with the old machine is that xp formats with ntfs file system by default windows 3.1 and dos read and write the fat16 (file allocation table 16 bit)
    win 95 and win 98 used both fat16 or fat 32)
    while winxp can read and write to a fat system,it doesn't like to
    win 3.1 cannot read or write to a ntfs system.
    and dos was only fat 16.
    your choice in this matter is to install dos on a small hdd (under 1 gb) (if you can even find one that small) or run an emulator.
    or use an ide adapter to put the lappy's hdd in a newer desktop machine.(he-he, you would see one heck of a performance boost)

my preference speed wise would be the emulator!
    Last edited by gnuuser; Thu 10th Sep 2020 at 16:34.
    too much blood in my caffeine system.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    dos floppies can be copied to a usb stick or cd using a desktop with floppy and cd.
    once copied it can be installed from the cd or usb( for usb you need a program called unetbootin to create a boot-able usb drive)
    ( if you can find an image of the dos version you want unetbootin may be able to creat a dos boot drive from the usb)

the situation you are facing with the old machine is that xp formats with ntfs file system by default windows 3.1 and dos read and write the fat16 (file allocation table 16 bit)
    win 95 and win 98 used both fat16 or fat 32)
    while winxp can read and write to a fat system,it doesn't like to
    win 3.1 cannot read or write to a ntfs system.
    and dos was only fat 16.
    your choice in this matter is to install dos on a small hdd (under 1 gb) (if you can even find one that small) or run an emulator.
    or use an ide adapter to put the lappy's hdd in a newer desktop machine.(he-he, you would see one heck of a performance boost)

my preference speed wise would be the emulator!
    I agree the emulators are great. Any time you can do something that ďcanít be done ď with a little know how is fun. Getting the emulator to communicate with the comport is the tough part. Iím going to dock the hard drive and write directly to it from a newer os. I hope that gives me what I need for communication across the board. We shall see.

Yes indeed xp does not like fat files.
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.