Thread: Off-roader ham'er

Wink Off-roader ham'er

My courtesy introduction as newcomer to the ham world, which I entered specifically because I started doing serious off-roading with a group where maintaining constant, positive comm was essential.

I'm a retired Marine "tanker" (MOS 1811 M60A1 RISE/Passive and 1812 M1A1 Abrams) so I'm well-versed in radio communications; just new to the 'civvie' bandwidth.

Hi from Nottingham UK.

Are you talking about CB radio or ham radio?
    Big difference. If you are looking for a communication option whilst off-roading then ham radio is not a wise option.

Why? Because not only will you need to do some serious study then sit & pass the ham exams, but also every off-roader that you want to communicate with will need to sit a ham exam to use a ham radio. Seriously? It's never going to happen.

I don't want to throw water on the fire.....BUT, you can't simply go out & buy a ham radio & use it.

Your best option would be PMR radios. They have several miles range & you do not require a license.

I am assuming that you are in the good ol' US of A.
    In UK fines for using ham radios without a license are very high ($$ thousands) they can even throw in a few years prison.
    You will find that the penalties in your country are also severe.
    They needed to make the penalties severe as emergency frequencies were being blocked by unqualified people. They even blamed hams for blocking the airwaves during the sinking of the Titanic.
    https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Na...nk-the-Titanic

I just looked it up. Using ham radio in USA without a license attracts a $25,000 fine (25 thousand dollars ). Depending on the severity of the offense the judge can even throw in a few years prison. IE: If your VHF transmission blocked emergency service transmission & someone died as a result.
    But don't take my word for that
    http://www.arrl.org/news/florida-ham...fering-with-li
    Last edited by G7NFP; Fri 31st Jul 2020 at 00:54.

Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Hi from Nottingham UK.

Are you talking about CB radio or ham radio?
    Big difference. If you are looking for a communication option whilst off-roading then ham radio is not a wise option.

Why? Because not only will you need to do some serious study then sit & pass the ham exams, but also every off-roader that you want to communicate with will need to sit a ham exam to use a ham radio. Seriously? It's never going to happen.

I don't want to throw water on the fire.....BUT, you can't simply go out & buy a ham radio & use it.

Your best option would be PMR radios. They have several miles range & you do not require a license.

I am assuming that you are in the good ol' US of A.
    In UK fines for using ham radios without a license are very high ($$ thousands) they can even throw in a few years prison.
    You will find that the penalties in your country are also severe.
    They needed to make the penalties severe as emergency frequencies were being blocked by unqualified people. They even blamed hams for blocking the airwaves during the sinking of the Titanic.
    https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Na...nk-the-Titanic

I just looked it up. Using ham radio in USA without a license attracts a $25,000 fine (25 thousand dollars ). Depending on the severity of the offense the judge can even throw in a few years prison. IE: If your VHF transmission blocked emergency service transmission & someone died as a result.
    Yes, HAM.

The vast majority of non-jeep off-roaders in my area use ham. Hence, here I am. I understand that licenses are required to operate in the frequency ranges that are commonly used by my group; hence, hello, here I am!

I cannot vouch or comment on others who do not abide by the public radio laws implemented here in the U.S. of A, or globally; nor am I here to debate the legality or ethical repurcussions of what others may or may not do. I'm just here to learn for my own self interests =)

Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    BTW, this violation that you've linked to is in regards to a PROPERLY LICENSED ham radio operator who intentionally and maliciously interfered on the communications frequency of a local law enforcement prisons' communication system...

Quote Originally Posted by Augster View Post
    BTW, this violation that you've linked to is in regards to a PROPERLY LICENSED ham radio operator who intentionally and maliciously interfered on the communications frequency of a local law enforcement prisons' communication system...
    Yes l know. It matters not if you are a licenced ham or not. The offense relates to transmission on frequencies which a license is not held for.
    Much the same if you drive a lorry whilst holding a car license. They treat it as unlicensed.

Plenty sources to download the relevent study material for free. Have a look at the threads in this section.
    Sounds like you only need the Tech license so not much study required there as 5yr olds pass that exam.