Thread: Yaesu FT-8900

Angry Yaesu FT-8900

Have a 8900 that will transmit carrier, but no audio. Was working fine until I used crossband repeat to extend HTís range in COVID-19 assistance program. Checked all internal circuits with VOM and mic wiring. All appear good. Replaced mic, still doing the same thing. Had to bring out boat anchor Standard C5900DA to use until I get the 8900 sorted out..!! No

Its not in wires x mode, is it? If so, pull off the bottom left knob and add an o ring or washers to the shaft so you dont accidentally toggle it to "internet on" by bumping it.
    Last edited by brandon lind; Wed 29th Jul 2020 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    Its not in wires x mode, is it? If so, pull off the bottom left knob and add an o ring or washers to the shaft so you dont accidentally toggle it to "internet on" by bumping it.
    That's not "WIRES-X." WIRES-X is the interlinking function of Yeasu's System Fusionģ digital. The function activated by pressing that button is the now-obsolete WIRES internet linking function. The radio should still transmit in that mode, albeit with a beep at the beginning of the transmission that covers the first part of the audio.

I'd check to see if the radio is still in cross-band repeat mode.

You got me there, but the internet says after the tone transmits, the mic audio is absent for a full few seconds thereafter. I never got into digital modes, just quoting a search result that caused very similar issues.