Thread: Hex Beam Interference with house circuits

Default Hex Beam Interference with house circuits

Gentlemen, (I mean that loosely) :0)

Over this past weekend, I erected a 40' Rohn 25G with a MFJ-1846 Hexbeam
    I run a Yaesu FT-991a barefoot at 100 watts

Of course at 17 and 20 meters, it trips the GFCI circuit breakers in the house 30 feet away (My radios are in a separate building on a separate panel.

The tower is grounded, the radio is grounded 8' copper driven with 3 ground rods in sequence.

New remodel construction. I am thinking that with the "government" interference with the new breakers, this is a common issue. However, I am not seeing many solutions.
    Also, I am wondering if the neighbor is having breakers trip as the hexbeam is pointed east over their house about 1/4 mile away

Any ideas fellas???

Thanks

Don
    N7RRR

Quote Originally Posted by N7RRR View Post
    trips the GFCI circuit breakers in the house 30 feet away
    I'll bet those are imports, try with a known brand...

Hex Beam aka the magic clothes line, is not a resonant antenna.. You can tune up anything you want with a tuner, but the harmonics are what are killing you. What feed line are you using? What lightning protection are you using, where do you have it bonded to earth ground.. Everything must be to ground potential.. Do you have your grounds cad welded?

What make / model of circuit breakers do you have? Which ones are tripping - GFCI?

Hi from UK.

Perhaps if you posted a few pics that may help.

Then give R2D2 the answers he asks for. If you had that guy at your house for a couple of days, your head would perhaps be spinning, but l have no doubt that he would solve all your antenna problems. However l also have no doubt that he would insist that you "learn & understand" rather than just set it all up for you.