Thread: Seeking Advice on the MP1DXMAX SuperAntenna

Default Seeking Advice on the MP1DXMAX SuperAntenna

I am seriously considering the MP1DXMAX listed on the website *http://newsuperantenna.com but I'm needing some information. Having waited for answers for well over 2 weeks from their tech support I'm rethinking my purchase but still not giving up. I'm needing an Elmer here if any of you are willing.
    Please bear with me as I explain my conditions and then if you can, please answer my questions towards the end.
    1.*******I am familiar with radios, neither a novice nor an expert but I am studying for my Amateur Radio license and hope to feel confident enough to test shorty.
    2.*******While studying, I decided to go ahead begin gathering my equipment which so far has only been my radio and the power supply. The radio that I purchased is the Kenwood TS-590SG. I am happy with the radio and reading the manual and learning about the controls and how to operate it. I have not transmitted with it yet due to having no License and of course no antenna.
    3.*******The radio transmits and receives on the following bands… 160,80,60,40,30,20,17,15,12,10 and 6 meter bands and the power range without a linear amp is from 25 to 100 watts.
    4.*******I see where the MP1DXMAX is capable of transmitting and receiving on the following bands… 80m, 75m, 60m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 11m, 10m and 6m meter bands. With my limited knowledge, it appears that I would be happy with it.
    5.*******I live in a community with an Home Owners Association and have certain restrictions that I will have to abide by and I think that the best option for me will be to do a “stealth” installation in my attic.
    Now for the questions.
    1.*******I will have to do a horizontal installation in my attic. Will that orientation work well with this particular antenna? I have enough space to mount it either across the width of the house or along the length of it but I see the radials are rather lengthy and I don’t know how to install the radials without looping them back and forth. If I did have to loop them, would that work?
    2.*******I see there are different coils for each frequency. Do I have to change coils every time I change frequencies or can they be stacked?
    3.*******Can I hook up all the radials at once or do I have to change the radial individually with each coil corresponding to the frequency that I am going to be using.
    In summary, after looking at the antennas that are available, it seems to me that while the MP1DXMAX may seem a little pricey, to purchase all the different antennas that I will eventually need, the MP1DXMAX would be a more cost effective solution IF the radials can be configured to work correctly and IF I would be able to stack the coils rather than climb into the attic with every frequency change.
    Thank you and I look forward to hearing from someone soon,
    Vern Reynolds

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

ANSWER TO QUESTION #1 - NO, THAT IS A VERTICAL ANTENNA.. VERTICAL MEANS UP AND DOWN NOT SIDEWAYS!

ANSWER TO QUESTION #2 - YES - QUOTE FROM MANUFACTURER - TUNING METHOD: Antenna tunes by calibrated manual slip of the SuperSlider Coil ..

ANSWER TO QUESTION #3 - YES THE RADIALS CAN ALL BE CONNECTED TOGETHER ON THE RADIAL PLATE BENEATH THE ANTENNA WHEN IT IS POSITIONED ON ITS TRIPOD VERTICALLY.

Not that it matters because you want to put it in the attic and it won't work in an attic.

Yes you do need an ELMER.

You did pick a nice radio. But going it alone will only cost you more in the long run. You didn't list the power supply, hopefully it isn't a switch mode power supply or some piece of crap like Samuelex.

The antenna you picked isn't designed for a permanent installation, but more like something you would use one time remotely - such as for Field Days or if you were going camping etc.. Its a portable antenna.. There are a lot better vertical antennas out there than the model you selected. Yes you will need ground radials with a vertical antenna - lots of them.. 120 is a good starting point..