Thread: Online books for Amateur radio

Default Online books for Amateur radio

Can anyone suggest some very good FREE online books or pdfs which can be used for test study?

Which test - any and all tests needed for licensing
    Books - Not interested in Amazon. I can search that on my own. The more technical the better. Must be in english.

Thank you very much.

You don't mention your country. US study differs slightly from UK, Canada, Australia ect.
    But many sources offer free downloads.

If you have no knowledge then Google "ham radio for dummy's download".

If you were in UK l would say Google "Essex ham download". They have all the study material required to sit the exams for free.

If you are in the good ol' US of A then you need to find a similar source from clubs over there.

So for USA l would suggest having a look at the links below.......Hope that helps.

Jim

http://www.arrl.org/instruction-teaching-and-study-aids

https://www.amateurradio.com/free-on...-radio-course/
    Last edited by G7NFP; Tue 9th Jun 2020 at 14:00.

Quote Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
    Can anyone suggest some very good FREE online books or pdfs which can be used for test study?

Which test - any and all tests needed for licensing
    Books - Not interested in Amazon. I can search that on my own. The more technical the better. Must be in english.

Thank you very much.
    A few more links on this page....

https://hamstudy.org/

The FCC publishes The Part 97 - which is the radio law portion of the exam.

Regardless of the class of license, it is the obligation of the user to know all of the rules and follow all of the rules.

The mechanics of the physical aspect of amateur radio - understanding radio waves, how they travel, how a antenna radiates them, how transformers works, how coax works, how ladder line works all can be found online if you look.

If you are a member of Facebook you can visit the page - Amateur Radio - The Truth, there is no membership, anyone can participate.
    You can read factual amateur radio information until your eyes bleed.

The electronics portion of the exam - resistors, transistors, diodes, capacitors, you can find on most any web site that deals with EE 101.
    It's all entry level basic stuff.

Most public libraries in the USA can get you a copy of the ARRL License Manuals if you ask them to.
    Somewhere in this world there is a library that has a copy that they can borrow if you live in the USA and are a member of your local public library.

I would encourage anyone interested in being a ham to try to find an amateur radio club and join.
    I understand the set backs involved due to this Corona scare, but believe me once elections are over it will all go away..
    Most clubs has members that has copies of the books that will loan them to you if you ask.

Just learning the questions and answers will not make you a ham, but only knowing the questions and answers isn't any better.
    The book is the cheapest part of the investment into the hobby. If you aren't willing to spend $35 for a book, you aren't going to make a very good ham or be an active member of this fraternity for very long without spending money!

The license by itself really isn't worth much of anything.

I was going to upload and link to my 3.1GB collection of radio books and pdf's, but then I saw the ridiculous amounts people are ordered to pay for copyright infringement. Once upon a time, Google had a scan of just about every book out there available online, but the Authors Guild went after them ~ which is why online pdf's have nearly evaporated. Glad I was a data-whore when I had the chance!

(I thought the world was going to have a catastrophic failure a few years back so I made an offline library of every educational topic one needs to home school a kid k-12 and beyond. Radio was just the tip of the iceberg. Homesteading, calculus, carpentry, horticulture, medical, pretty much 20 text books on every technical skill out there. I'm ready for "the internet" to pull the plug lol )
    Last edited by brandon lind; Tue 9th Jun 2020 at 22:23.

But if you find a really cool website you want to make available offline, HTTrack is EXCELLENT once you learn the intricacies of the settings and adding the extensions you want copied (like pdf's, thats not a default). The first time CB Tricks went down, I mirrored that bugger 10 links deep

HTTrack works great on educational websites.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    I was going to upload and link to my 3.1GB collection of radio books and pdf's, but then I saw the ridiculous amounts people are ordered to pay for copyright infringement. Once upon a time, Google had a scan of just about every book out there available online, but the Authors Guild went after them ~ which is why online pdf's have nearly evaporated. Glad I was a data-whore when I had the chance!

(I thought the world was going to have a catastrophic failure a few years back so I made an offline library of every educational topic one needs to home school a kid k-12 and beyond. Radio was just the tip of the iceberg. Homesteading, calculus, carpentry, horticulture, medical, pretty much 20 text books on every technical skill out there. I'm ready for "the internet" to pull the plug lol )
    No you are not ready for them to pull the plug yet.
    You need to download a few hundred books on lathes & metal machining.

My 5yr old grandson loves to press the start button on a lathe. However still too young for me to teach, as a lathe can cause serious injury in the hands of the young or inexperienced.
    Even l, who has several years experience has sustained injuries. My mistake was l became complacent.

Wonder if the OP got the books that he needed.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post

Very good idea actually.