Thread: 1 step below novice

Default 1 step below novice

As you can see I am brand new into Amateur Radio. so I am hoping this forum can give me some pointers.
    Last edited by 5B4AJB; Sun 7th Jun 2020 at 15:49.

Welcome! - post away!

Hi from UK. I assume you are in US.

Hope to be able to take the test next week. What equipment would you recommend to get started with?

and by the way I am currently in Valdosta Georgia in the good ole U S of A!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGuy View Post
    Hope to be able to take the test next week. What equipment would you recommend to get started with?

and by the way I am currently in Valdosta Georgia in the good ole U S of A!
    In the good ol' US of A you will be restricted to VHF/UHF on the Tech license (not so in UK).
    Therefore rather than spend you money on the cheap Chinese baofeng hand held you would be wise to check classifieds/eBay ect for a used Yaesu, Icom or even Alinco hand held to start with.
    Do the same for a mobile or base rig.

That will get you talking to local hams who will help you where needed

Agree with G7NFP, donít waste money on the Baeofeng radios, go for one of the other models. Also might consider picking up one that has the DMR capability. DMR is digital radio, whole new world for TECH license,
    To explore and learn. There is a lot you can do on the TECH license, so weigh all options...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like this would be a good investment. Either new or used. It will all depend on your budget.
    The good thing about ham radios is they tend to hold their value. Take good care of your gear & always retain the original boxes. Then when you decide on an upgrade (and you will, "many times over"), it's just a matter of listing your old gear. The better the condition the more it will fetch (& don't forget to store original boxes in a safe & dry location).
    https://youtu.be/4oVTmWmRE4Q
    Last edited by G7NFP; Fri 12th Jun 2020 at 10:53.

I'm a big fan of top brand equipment, but, "don't waste your money on a Baofeng?" I love my TH-D74A but there's a place for a $40 (or less) Baofeng (and there's one on my desk as I type), especially when you're new and not sure of what you want or where you want to go with the hobby.

I've spent big money on things before I knew what I was doing - now that's been waste most of the time for me! But $40? I'll waste that any day if I learn something from it.

Just my take on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KqVq2G9dY5Q

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCDBs...-4BCA&index=74

I use baofeng radios and love the operation. Simple, effective and they work. As you can see in these videos, they are like a Timex, take a lickin and keep on ticking. Find what works for you. With my t.b.i. I need something familiar and simple. These little guys are that and inexpensive to boot. There are antennas you can get for less than $30 and have an effective way to get the signal outside of your vehicle or home. Just my thoughts. You will see many conflicting opinions about them, but ultimately the choice is yours. Welcome to the ham world.
    73s, God bless and good day. KD9KVS
    I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ots View Post
    I'm a big fan of top brand equipment, but, "don't waste your money on a Baofeng?" I love my TH-D74A but there's a place for a $40 (or less) Baofeng (and there's one on my desk as I type), especially when you're new and not sure of what you want or where you want to go with the hobby.

I've spent big money on things before I knew what I was doing - now that's been waste most of the time for me! But $40? I'll waste that any day if I learn something from it.

Just my take on it.
    absolutely, also ideal little radios to throw in a coat pocket or handbag / day sack when out and about - no great loss if smashed / drowned or lost