Thread: Wooshing noise HF

Default Wooshing noise HF

Hi, recently got back into ham radio after long hiatus. I bought a Icom 746PRO, and put up both end fed antenna (approx 51' long, sloping from about 30 feet to 18 feet) with a 9:1 homemade xfmr, also bought a 40 Meter Standard Super Antenna and have that raised about 5' above ground on pvc pipe with the radials laid out. I hope to get a GAP Challenger which I had in the mid 2000's which at the the time did great even though I was living in what my dad called an RF hole. Ok question on HF on both my antenna's I get a whooshing sound that just about drowns everything else out. 20 meters seems the worst. I can pick up some activity on 40 but not much. My place is about 400 yds from Puget Sound and I can see downtown Seattle from my front deck. There are power lines approximately 175' from where the antenna's are. The end fed is running from a large cedar down to my roof since that is the only way I can run a wire antenna due to lack of space. I am at a loss as to what that noise is, as I have never experienced it before. I do have an 8' ground rod installed with all equipment grounded with 8ga wire going from equipment to braided copper which goes to the rod outside, less than 10 ft away. If anyone can shed some light on this or give me some pointers would be greatly appreciated, shame I spent all that money only to have what I call white noise. Oh as soon as I disconnect coax from the rig, noise goes away telling me it is either man made, antenna induced or environmental/atmospherics. Thanks
    K8MFK/ Pat
    Last edited by Fcchief; Wed 10th Jun 2020 at 20:55.

Most likely ADSL or switch-mode power supplies - welcome to the 21st century :/

If that is the case (ADSL) which I use and believe the neighbors do also but not sure as they are pretty private people, what can I do to reduce it? If that is what is causing it. Am using 50' RG-213 to feed my rig from the TAK-tenna.

Here are links to a couple videos I made, one on 20m and one on 15 both usb and AM

They only let me put one video up but this noise is on all bands upper sideband as well as lower and AM

Anybody can help in diagnosing this, would be appreciated. Already checked all household items, breakers etc going thru and shutting stuff down. No change. Going to try and use my car battery to power up the rig and have it connected to the Super Antenna in my driveway.
    Last edited by Fcchief; Wed 10th Jun 2020 at 20:55.

you dont have one of those fancy "smart" battery chargers from walmart in your garage, do you? Those Everready ones are especially bad. Mine sounded just like that.

EDIT I misread that, you DO have ADSL. nevermind the battery charger thing.
    Last edited by brandon lind; Thu 11th Jun 2020 at 00:56.

speaking of batteries, connect your rig to one and see if it reduces your noise level...

I hooked my rig up to my car battery, hooked the antenna (Smart Antenna not a Tak-Tenna) started the car then turned on the rig, no change. If it clears up later today will take my rig, antenna (since it is portable) to an area that has no power lines in the area and will try to fire it up and see what happens then. Just not sure when the weather will cooperate since we are getting rain just about everyday.
    Oh and I did disconnect the modem, shut it down and still same noise.

Ok took the rig and Super Antenna along with coax to a local park that has no power lines around it. Any lighting is from underground cables. Hooked everything up, started the car, then the rig on 20m. Well what do you know, NO white noise whatsoever. In fact answered a CQ call from Arizona and heard a few other QSO's going on. Checked other bands and although pretty quiet there was no whooshing sound. So I guess the next step is to contact Puget Sound Energy and see if they will work with me on resolving the interference issue. Just bummed a little since I now have to go the park or other areas around that have no electrical lines if I want to get on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Fcchief View Post
    Ok took the rig and Super Antenna along with coax to a local park that has no power lines around it. Any lighting is from underground cables. Hooked everything up, started the car, then the rig on 20m. Well what do you know, NO white noise whatsoever. In fact answered a CQ call from Arizona and heard a few other QSO's going on. Checked other bands and although pretty quiet there was no whooshing sound. So I guess the next step is to contact Puget Sound Energy and see if they will work with me on resolving the interference issue. Just bummed a little since I now have to go the park or other areas around that have no electrical lines if I want to get on the air.
    Unfortunately, with an unpredictable sun and satellites, the FCC doesn't care much about the HF bands any more as military and law enforcement are now using digital UHF. It is really sad that us hams are expected to follow the rules when all the big companies are allowed to crap on any band they wish. And now with 30,000+ satellites going up (Starlink) for worldwide broadband internet, all these little telephone companies are scrambling to lock people into contracts using outdated infrastructure. And it's difficult to simply identify the offending frequencies and filter them out when their junk equipment puts out more harmonics than a galaxy CB with its coils spread apart! The bad guy deep inside me would love to convince you to go out one night and start putting wide-band white noise transmitters in every telephone box around town, but now that I am a ham with "rules" to follow, I have to be better than that.

The only thing you can do (short of a futile battle with a million-dollar business and the FCC's limited budget) is take a look at your antenna/coax with a spectrum analyzer to see what garbage its picking up and hope like heck its confined to specific frequencies far enough away from the ham bands to filter them out. Ham radios typically have low pass filters (so as to remove the higher harmonics) meaning they tend to allow everything under the desired band through. Most of that xDSL junk is under 10MHz. If you can notch out the garbage coming in, the radio's mixer might have less garbage coming out of it. That's the thing with mixers + wide-band trash, what comes out is a whole lot of sum and difference frequencies, some of which can land on the crystal filters pass band. I'm no expert though...

On another forum a couple years ago the op was reporting a similar noise at odd hours...but on closer look it was usually when laundry was in use. His "whooshing" sound was from a new, all computerized washer.

...and that is why they're called "whooshing machines."]
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Odds are the noise is being generated within your own house, or a neighbors. I doubt the utility has any responsibility there.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Odds are the noise is being generated within your own house, or a neighbors. I doubt the utility has any responsibility there.
    I have already shut down all breakers with exception of the one that powers the outlets in my shack. Also took the rig outside in my driveway, connected it to the car battery, started car and powered up the rig and got the same noise on all bands. To me that ruled out the house. Just frustrating trying to track the source. Power lines and I assume cable lines run about 100'ft from my home, could even be closer since I have not measured exact distance. Someone mentioned common mode interference so going to look into troubleshooting that and talking with the power and cable companies.

Sony used to sell a tiny AM/FM/+7 shortwave band receiver that fits comfortably in a shirt pocket. If you can find one of these, you could walk around with an earbud, listening for where the signal is strongest. It doesn't have an S-meter but you can notice when it gets louder and weaker. Sangean and others make similar radios; just not so small as the Sony was. I bought mine at Amateur Radio Supply in Las Vegas, probably 30 years ago.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I found a am/fm shortwave radio, fairly small which will be here tomorrow. Will check with that and if I can narrow it down then will see what my next steps will be. Also considering a MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling unit, saw a video of a guy in Australia that had very similar noise and was able tweak settings until it was gone and you could hear the QSO going on.

Were you able to get rid of the noise?? If so, how?
    Charlie, K3UIM