Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pre-Noob

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    I really dont know much about lathes so I am unsure what name to be looking for. An old friend had a Heid in his shop, but that was a monster and I don't need anything even close to that. I would be looking for something that has at least a 3" chuck with a bed around 2 feet (76mm chuck, 610mm bed). I used to watch my old neighbor manually cut threads with his, he had the rpm figured out just perfect cranking that leadscrew wheel! I was impressed with what that old-timer could do with that thing. As for tolerance, I doubt I would ever do anything that required better than Ī0.02mm, and that would be for the non-antenna projects that might come up.

As for material, I agree that stainless is the way to go for corrosion resistance, but here in the center of the country, there is not much salt in the air and the oxide that forms on aluminum around here seems to be quite durable to further corrosion. My current vertical antenna is aluminum, although I have no idea what alloy. I would assume, if I went with aluminum, I would use something like 2014 for the smaller connecting parts and 6061 or 7075 for the vertical element. I don't know much about the stainless alloys, but I know my current truck whip is 17-7. The only issues I have with stainless is the increased weight and decreased conductivity, although I doubt that the conductivity would be much of a problem.

That cobalt content sounds nice for tooling, but I doubt I'll be turning anything very hard any time soon. Don't those get brittle with excess cobalt?
    You can buy a brand new mini lathe for a few hundred $.
    However l would recommend that you have a look in the classifieds/eBay for a used Myford. They have 3"- 4" chucks & parts & accessories are available in abundance. I have one myself.
    Can be carried by 2 men. Or one man with a trolly.
    Type "Myford lathe" into YouTube to see some examples. Plenty tuition out there for those lathes.

Cobalt content in steel simply makes the steel hard wearing. Not brittle. If you want brittle tooling look no further than carbide. Very hard but very brittle. I have a few carbide tool bits & drills but tend not to use them too often as nothing worse than a drill snapping in your workpiece. Especially a carbide one as you don't have anything hard enough to drill it out.

You can simply buy a set of tooling for a lathe. But if you plan on a lot of machining then best to grind your own as tooling can get expensive as it wears out in no time.

All you need to grind your own hss tooling is a $20 bench grinder. Then after you buy it, remove the wheel & replace it with a "silicone carbide" wheel.
    Sounds like hss tooling will be all you need. I have machined hard stainless using only hss.
    I bought a big box of used tooling last year. Was several kg in weight & the seller near enough gave it away. But the seller was in the good ol' US of A so the shipping cost was much more than the purchase price. All in it was a bargain.

So you are not near the sea, so yes aluminium will last for many years. And yes that alloy is a great conductor. It's also cheap. Google "aluminium round bar", or "aluminium tubing", then check out several companies to find the best deals. Some overcharge, some don't.
    The more you buy the cheaper it gets. If you have a lathe then a good stock won't go wrong as you will always find a use for it.
    If you need short lengths you will always find bargains from companies who sell off the end bars that they don't need. I have a lot of that metal.
    It's good practice to label your metal as after you accumulate many bars (and you will), you will never remember which is which after a couple of years.

But never go around telling family & friends that you have a lathe as that gets them thinking what they can ask you to make for them (telling them is always seen as an invitation).
    Only my immediate family knows what lies behind my workshop doors. Other than my wife as she has never set foot in my workshop. She has no interest what l do out there.

Ok l will let you get back to watching the riots. In UK they toppled a statue of a slave trader. That won't be missed.
    Then they vandalised a statue of Winston Churchill. That has angered many people. So not the way to get support over here.
    Several police officers injured but no looting so far.
    Our protests look very tame in comparison to yours (So far).

Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Remember to pop back & tell us you aced the exams.
    Well, it looks like I'll be taking my exams this Friday. The interesting thing is that my father will be with me. My interest in amateur radio has resurrected his own, and he recently took a Technician exam and aced it (of course). He stopped there because he didn't know he could take more than one exam at one sitting, but now he's coming with me to bump himself up to Extra. The VEC we set up the exams with was able to find a reference from the 1950s that listed my father's old license, so it's possible that he'll be able to get boosted to General for free before Saturday.

Anyway, it'll be an interesting day.

Quote Originally Posted by dnwiebe View Post
    Well, it looks like I'll be taking my exams this Friday. The interesting thing is that my father will be with me. My interest in amateur radio has resurrected his own, and he recently took a Technician exam and aced it (of course). He stopped there because he didn't know he could take more than one exam at one sitting, but now he's coming with me to bump himself up to Extra. The VEC we set up the exams with was able to find a reference from the 1950s that listed my father's old license, so it's possible that he'll be able to get boosted to General for free before Saturday.

Anyway, it'll be an interesting day.
    Your dad's licence from the 50s? It would be interesting to hear what age he is now. Then check out the oldest person to sit the Tech exam & see if he comes close. The youngest has already been mentioned, but not the oldest. Perhaps we should start a thread re the youngest & oldest to sit the exams.
    I wish my old man had taken an interest & sat the exams when l did 30yrs ago. He was a train driver & l remember when l was a kid doing my homework he was at the other side of the table with his homework. All about locomotives, their engines ect. I recall that his homework was way harder than mine & l was a teenager. If he had turned his attention to radios l have no doubt that he would have left me behind. Sadly both my parents have now gone.
    But all his study didn't go to waste as he bought the house (cash, no mortgage) & built up his bank balance. Last year l inherited the lot.

Likewise, the qualifications l gained in electronics purely to get that ham licence allowed me to gain employment in electronics. These days the exam structure in UK is much simplified & the qualifications are only any use of you want to be a ham.
    I have no doubt that your dad sat the difficult exams that l did. Therefore he should not be made to resit them. Although if he did he will ace them.

Remember to pop back & let us know how you get on Friday. And ofcourse if they reinstate your dad's license (as would be the right thing to do).

73 Jim

ARRL had a 94 yr old man that upgraded to General a couple of years ago on their site..

94yr old sitting a ham exam is amazing. If l even got to that age l would be waiting for God.

I posted the results in another thread in this section: thanks for asking!