Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Noob

Now l get the idea. Yup that antenna on the plane would work. But have someone on the ground video it. That should score a few million hits on YouTube.

Yes the Brit cops are unarmed. But so are the citizens. They banned all private ownership of every type of handgun in 1995. To get a licence for a rifle is more trouble than it's worth. You need a very good reason for having one. They even check your medical records before issuing any type of gun license. Even shotguns.

But in UK we have ARVs (armed response vehicles) out on the road nationwide 24/7. So they can be at any city location in a matter of minutes. A little longer for the rural locations, but no doubt the chopper squads are armed.
    I recall about 16yrs ago when my lad was a teenager. Some youth told the cops he had a gun. Our house then got the dawn raid by a team of cops. They all had guns pointed at us.
    An hour later they left empty handed. No gun found. Hell they never even said sorry.

So the gun culture in US is the very reason you cannot disarm the cops.
    Yes l have seen the violence from US cops & yes something needs to be done about it. But that's an issue to be addressed by Americans.
    I have never lived in US so it's not for me to dictate what l think should be done.

UK also have the over-reaction problem from armed cops, albeit not nearly so much as US. I recall a few years ago when they put a bullet in a guys head at point blank because they thought he was a terrorist..... He turned out to be an unarmed electrician. His only crime was he ran away from the guys in "casual dress" who were chasing him.
    Last edited by G7NFP; Sun 7th Jun 2020 at 17:25.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Lol an antenna trailing out of a plane? Many safety issues with that. Don't the antenna systems on planes work just fine? You can be sure that the military have the best options available with their endless funding.

I can't believe what we are hearing from the good ol' USA now. Disbanding police forces?????? Then replacing them with some "unarmed" peaceful group, which some would like to call "social workers".
    Military aircraft used to have very long antennas which they reeled out of the craft to transmit and then reeled it back in (hopefully WELL before landing!). The speed of the aircraft and weight of the antenna would keep the antenna with a fairly constant angle. Now zeppelins used the same type of antennas but since they didn't move all that fast they didn't have to worry about snagging something on the ground.
    This type of antenna has been known as the "Zepp" for many years, and now you know the REST of the story

Oh, and the unarmed, peaceful folks who'll be replacing the defunded police are not "social workers". Better name might be "targets".
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Now l get the idea. Yup that antenna on the plane would work.
    Mostly what I'm interested in is the kinked-over dipole idea. Running a balanced antenna instead of a long wire means I wouldn't have to use the airframe for a counterpoise, which is nice, because I'd be sitting in that airframe; but I don't know enough about antennas to understand whether the snuggled-up coax would have a deleterious effect on the half of the dipole it was snuggled up to. There'd be half a wave moving in the forward direction (from the viewpoint of the pilot) right next to half a wave moving in the aft direction on the coax shield.

I'm almost sure that'd cause problems with ladder line instead of coax, but I don't know enough to know whether it would cause problems with coax too.

But have someone on the ground video it. That should score a few million hits on YouTube.
    I'll be 2km straight up in the air. You wouldn't even see the plane on a cell-phone video without zooming in, and you'd almost certainly not see the antenna.

Much more interesting would be a nest of cameras inside and outside the plane, to watch my wife and me fight with the antenna. But I'm not really that kind of a hobbyist.

Yes the Brit cops are unarmed. But so are the citizens. They banned all private ownership of every type of handgun in 1995.
    Really? Bad guys don't have guns in the UK? That'd surprise me. I'll bet there are ways to get hold of guns, even if you can't walk into a hardware store and buy one over the counter.

To get a licence for a rifle is more trouble than it's worth. You need a very good reason for having one. They even check your medical records before issuing any type of gun license. Even shotguns.
    Too bad. Rifles are such fun, and they're so rarely used to commit crimes. Shotguns too, although I'm more of a rifle guy myself. I have a hard time hitting a moving target with a shotgun. My trap scores are embarrassing, and my skeet scores...we won't talk about my skeet scores. Five-stand is fun, though, and one of these days I swear I'll try sporting clays. There are two nice ranges nearby, but somehow I just haven't gotten around to it.

I recall about 16yrs ago when my lad was a teenager. Some youth told the cops he had a gun. Our house then got the dawn raid by a team of cops. They all had guns pointed at us.
    An hour later they left empty handed. No gun found. Hell they never even said sorry.
    Yep. I have a few cop stories myself. When I was younger, a guy broke out of prison and assumed a fake identity, an identity which included my Social Security number (national ID). For years after that, whenever I had any dealings with the state at all, it always turned into an adventure involving cops and guns. There are a number of anecdotes connected with that, including the time I was beaten into semiconsciousness and then left in a ditch in the middle of nowhere (and there's a lot of nowhere in the US) when the cops discovered I wasn't their guy. (He was 40 years older than I, 100 pounds heavier than I, seven inches shorter than I, and black: but he had the same SSN.)

UK also have the over-reaction problem from armed cops, albeit not nearly so much as US. I recall a few years ago when they put a bullet in a guys head at point blank because they thought he was a terrorist..... He turned out to be an unarmed electrician. His only crime was he ran away from the guys in "casual dress" who were chasing him.
    There's a guy named Radley Balko (yes, I know, weird name) who has written a book entitled The Rise of the Warrior Cop. It's oriented at the US, not the UK, but I'll bet you'd still find it interesting, if you were inclined to look it up.
    Last edited by dnwiebe; Mon 8th Jun 2020 at 02:22.

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Military aircraft used to have very long antennas which they reeled out of the craft to transmit and then reeled it back in (hopefully WELL before landing!). The speed of the aircraft and weight of the antenna would keep the antenna with a fairly constant angle.
    I was just reading about the planes that carry VLF transmitters to communicate with submarines. (Apparently the ELF antennas are so big even the biggest airplanes can't carry them.) The word is that the US has two of them up 24 hours a day, one over the Atlantic and one over the Pacific. The trailing antenna is several hundred meters long, and when they transmit, they go into a tight turn so that the antenna hangs mostly vertical, except for the very top of it.

Now zeppelins used the same type of antennas but since they didn't move all that fast they didn't have to worry about snagging something on the ground.
    This type of antenna has been known as the "Zepp" for many years, and now you know the REST of the story
    I remember: that's one of the questions from the Extra exam.

Oh, and the unarmed, peaceful folks who'll be replacing the defunded police are not "social workers". Better name might be "targets".
    I'm mildly curious about the plan the Democrats will come up with; but I live in a red town in a red state, so the police who claim authority over me aren't going anywhere.

Guns will be illegal in the USA very soon.

Once upon a time, firearms were legal here. Then, the term Right (with respect to the Bill of Rights) began to be confused with the word Privilege, and, after prohibition ended, judges waged war on a jurors true duty as the third entity of our system of checks and balances. 1934 came around and, as part of the National Firearms Act, demanded firearms be registered (because someone wasn't comfortable not knowing where all the guns were). 1968 complicated things even more when the Federal Gun Control Act sent the issue home by prohibiting violent felons from possessing them. And just like the word Right, the word violent was subject to the same misinterpretation issues as being vaguely defined under various state and federal statutes.

Present day, the consequences of all this are beginning to show. Because of a single word, violent, people who have never committed an act of aggression toward another person suddenly find themselves facing five to fifteen years in prison for standing up for what they were taught was right all their lives. This prison time is not for what they did, not even for what they planned to do, but for what they had the mere ability to do. That's right, we Americans tear non-aggressive people out of their families and imprison them because We The People are afraid of what they might or could do. We are not free.

That said, God made Man, Sam Colt made Men EQUAL, a notion our government (and others) fear.

I'm curious, if you folks in the UK decided (for some ridiculous reason) that you needed to feel a little more secure in your own homes and decided to punch in the specs for a receiver (the gun variety) into a CNC and made your own firearm, then subsequently got caught with it (without doing any harm to others), what would the consequences be over there?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post

Once upon a time, firearms were legal here. Then, the term Right (with respect to the Bill of Rights) began to be confused with the word Privilege, and, after prohibition ended, judges waged war on a jurors true duty as the third entity of our system of checks and balances. 1934 came around and, as part of the National Firearms Act, demanded firearms be registered (because someone wasn't comfortable not knowing where all the guns were). 1968 complicated things even more when the Federal Gun Control Act sent the issue home by prohibiting violent felons from possessing them. And just like the word Right, the word violent was subject to the same misinterpretation issues as being vaguely defined under various state and federal statutes.

Present day, the consequences of all this are beginning to show. Because of a single word, violent, people who have never committed an act of aggression toward another person suddenly find themselves facing five to fifteen years in prison for standing up for what they were taught was right all their lives. This prison time is not for what they did, not even for what they planned to do, but for what they had the mere ability to do. That's right, we Americans tear non-aggressive people out of their families and imprison them because We The People are afraid of what they might or could do. We are not free.

That said, God made Man, Sam Colt made Men EQUAL, a notion our government (and others) fear.

I'm curious, if you folks in the UK decided (for some ridiculous reason) that you needed to feel a little more secure in your own homes and decided to punch in the specs for a receiver (the gun variety) into a CNC and made your own firearm, then subsequently got caught with it (without doing any harm to others), what would the consequences be over there?

Thanks!
    Make a gun on CNC in UK? Consequences? = Many years jail time.
    Was on TV last year about a gun workshop. Armed cops were outside listening to them testing the guns. Then they raided & those guys were sent down for many years.

Yes bad guys in UK have guns in every city. But as l said, many cops have guns. And many of those cops are not in uniform. Especially in big cities. That way they tend not to panic the public.
    So if you came to UK & pulled out a gun in a city, start your stopwatch & see how long it would be before many more guns were pointed at you.
    If you were near government buildings or the queen, it would be a matter of seconds.

I know all about guns. In my squad of 54 l was the 2nd best shot with an SLR (7.62mm). 3" @ 100yrds on basic sights. And l am talking the full mag without one wide shot.

I have a complete workshop with 2 lathes in it. I also have a good stock in various metals. Including the best metals to construct a gun. So yes l could make a gun without any difficulty. But what would l do with it? I am not a criminal so have no use for a firearm.
    Home defense? If l killed an intruder with an illegal gun then l would be in jail.
    But my home defense solution is always loaded & ready to go with a simple turn of a valve. How would you stand up to 8 rapid shots from this....
    https://youtu.be/3v4Qe94dAw0

As for my skills on a lathe (not CNC), have a look what l made from a solid bar of Titanium. Then sold for £150 each (extra £15 for drip tip).
    I sold a couple of these to guys in USA. One of those guys had a vape shop. His shop seemed to have everything. That is, everything other than one of my creations........
    https://youtu.be/rfItOV3zePg

Much more info all over internet on my work. Google "UKVA Maxi". Yep l am jim532.
    Last edited by G7NFP; Mon 8th Jun 2020 at 08:10.

Thats neat! Nice work on that vape, definitely the coolest one ive ever seen!

I will hopefully be getting a lathe soon. I want to start making decent GP antennas and need a way to do radial adapters, insulators for loading coils and other various parts. Sand from lawn mowing is destroying my eyes so ill be trading in my gravely pro turn for a load of aluminum tubing

Sorry for getting off topic, im bad at that

Airplanes pulling VLF antennas? Thats neat, never heard of it. Makes sense though. I always thought those transmitters were land basedz. We have one not far from here in North Dakota. Its a tall tower with what appears to be very long guy lines from the top. They are actually VLF antennas. I think HAARP in Alaska tried doing a controlled Luxembourg-Gorky effect to communicate with subs, but they must not have had much luck as the university now owns the place. Wouldnt a VLF/ULF bouy with a satellite link guarded by a sub be better than flying planes around the ocean?

How far does vlf and ulf go through water?
    Last edited by brandon lind; Mon 8th Jun 2020 at 15:49.

The source I saw said that the towed VLF antennas were about 10km long. It's not an incredible feat to get an aircraft with a pressurized cabin to 10km above sea level, but it would be pretty impressive to mount a 10km-tall tower on a buoy. My guess is that suspending an antenna in salt water wouldn't work very well.

VLF is supposed to penetrate to a depth of between 10 and 40m in water, depending on the properties of the water. ELF, on the other hand, penetrates just about everything, apparently because it essentially rings the whole planet like a tuning fork; but it requires an incredibly long antenna for the transmitter, and it's slow. The figures I saw implied that due to low frequency and required redundancy due to massive natural interference at those frequencies, the expected data rate for reasonable reliability via ELF is about one bit per minute. Even so, the protocol is reportedly designed so that it's impossible to give a submarine catastrophic orders ("Launch nuclear missiles") via ELF just in case the message is miscopied. What they do is spend fifteen minutes transmitting a three-letter code, which in most cases has the effect of sending the sub to the surface to receive VHF or UHF from a satellite.

The transmitting antenna was originally supposed to be 1600km long, with several transmitters along its length (apparently you can't drive 1600km of wire with a single transmitter), but due to legal issues and property owners objecting to having their land used for the right-of-way, it ended up being only about 320km long.

If you got it high enough, I'll bet you could put a 320km antenna in orbit, as long as you didn't mind it being vertically polarized. I can't imagine how you'd make something 320km long orient itself any way other than vertically. Wait--maybe you could lay it east-to-west across the near face of the Moon. (Or the far face, for that matter: at ELF, it might not matter.)

I done a Google search on aeroplane dipole/HF antennas & was a little surprised at what turned up.
    Declassified US military files from the 60s. Those documents would take a little time to read as each one contains hundreds of pages. 50yrs ago we would be thrown in jail for possessing those.

Yes the cameras on the wings is the way to go. My camcorder has 70x optical zoom so no prob zooming in on the plane. But the antenna?

Must admit l would be very interested in your results. As would most hams on the planet.

Thats neat! Nice work on that vape, definitely the coolest one ive ever seen!

I will hopefully be getting a lathe soon. I want to start making decent GP antennas and need a way to do radial adapters, insulators for loading coils and other various parts. Sand from lawn mowing is destroying my eyes so ill be trading in my gravely pro turn for a load of aluminum tubing

Sorry for getting off topic, im bad at that

Airplanes pulling VLF antennas? Thats neat, never heard of it. Makes sense though. I always thought those transmitters were land basedz. We have one not far from here in North Dakota. Its a tall tower with what appears to be very long guy lines from the top. They are actually VLF antennas. I think HAARP in Alaska tried doing a controlled Luxembourg-Gorky effect to communicate with subs, but they must not have had much luck as the university now owns the place. Wouldnt a VLF/ULF bouy with a satellite link guarded by a sub be better than flying planes around the ocean?

How far does vlf and ulf go through water?
    What type/model of lathe are you considering?

I tend to use hss tool steel & hss with cobalt content. I grind all my own lathe tooling.
    Likewise, the majority of my drill bits are 8% cobalt. Not so many of those on the market as common cobalt drills only contain 5% cobalt.
    But as you now know, l work with some of the hardest metals. It's always worth the investment to buy the best tooling you can afford.

When l was machining that Titanium l set up a home made coolant flow. The lubricant l used was water based & diluted in water. I used the most translucent brand l could find. But even so, it's very difficult to manually machine under any coolant flow. But the fun l had :-)

l have a stock of grade 2 (commercially pure) 22mm Titanium tubing which l was thinking of using for antenna application.
    If you use aluminium tubing ensure it has sufficient wall thickness to take the strain. It may also be worth painting it for outdoor use as aluminium will oxidize.
    It may be worth checking out the price of 316 stainless (marine grade) tubing. High strength & no need to paint it unless you want to.
    Last edited by G7NFP; Mon 8th Jun 2020 at 20:39.

What type/model of lathe are you considering?

I tend to use hss tool steel & hss with cobalt content. I grind all my own lathe tooling.
    Likewise, the majority of my drill bits are 8% cobalt. Not so many of those on the market as common cobalt drills only contain 5% cobalt.
    But as you now know, l work with some of the hardest metals. It's always worth the investment to buy the best tooling you can afford.

When l was machining that Titanium l set up a home made coolant flow. The lubricant l used was water based & diluted in water. I used the most translucent brand l could find. But even so, it's very difficult to manually machine under any coolant flow. But the fun l had :-)

l have a stock of grade 2 (commercially pure) 22mm Titanium tubing which l was thinking of using for antenna application.
    If you use aluminium tubing ensure it has sufficient wall thickness to take the strain. It may also be worth painting it for outdoor use as aluminium will oxidize.
    It may be worth checking out the price of 316 stainless (marine grade) tubing. High strength & no need to paint it unless you want to.
    I really dont know much about lathes so I am unsure what name to be looking for. An old friend had a Heid in his shop, but that was a monster and I don't need anything even close to that. I would be looking for something that has at least a 3" chuck with a bed around 2 feet (76mm chuck, 610mm bed). I used to watch my old neighbor manually cut threads with his, he had the rpm figured out just perfect cranking that leadscrew wheel! I was impressed with what that old-timer could do with that thing. As for tolerance, I doubt I would ever do anything that required better than Ī0.02mm, and that would be for the non-antenna projects that might come up.

As for material, I agree that stainless is the way to go for corrosion resistance, but here in the center of the country, there is not much salt in the air and the oxide that forms on aluminum around here seems to be quite durable to further corrosion. My current vertical antenna is aluminum, although I have no idea what alloy. I would assume, if I went with aluminum, I would use something like 2014 for the smaller connecting parts and 6061 or 7075 for the vertical element. I don't know much about the stainless alloys, but I know my current truck whip is 17-7. The only issues I have with stainless is the increased weight and decreased conductivity, although I doubt that the conductivity would be much of a problem.

That cobalt content sounds nice for tooling, but I doubt I'll be turning anything very hard any time soon. Don't those get brittle with excess cobalt?

Don’t forget 1986!

But no, I don’t think guns will be illegal in the US soon. Eventually, yes, of course; no government can continue to grow without eventually disarming its subjects, because sooner or later they will begin to object. But the gun culture in the US is still strong enough to punish politicians who try to jump the gun. And every time one does, the gun culture gets a little stronger. You remember what happened to gun sales under Obama, right?

And one more thing—after the riots, there are going to be an awful lot of new gun owners in the US, and at least a few of them will end up joining the gun culture.

So we’re not exactly good, exactly, here in the US, but it’s not a red alert yet. Sez I.

Quote Originally Posted by dnwiebe View Post
    Don’t forget 1986!

But no, I don’t think guns will be illegal in the US soon. Eventually, yes, of course; no government can continue to grow without eventually disarming its subjects, because sooner or later they will begin to object. But the gun culture in the US is still strong enough to punish politicians who try to jump the gun. And every time one does, the gun culture gets a little stronger. You remember what happened to gun sales under Obama, right?

And one more thing—after the riots, there are going to be an awful lot of new gun owners in the US, and at least a few of them will end up joining the gun culture.

So we’re not exactly good, exactly, here in the US, but it’s not a red alert yet. Sez I.
    I forgot about FOPA! And you are likely right about it not being "soon", but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in my lifetime. I'm not overly concerned though, organic chemistry has been a good friend of mine for a very long time. Once you make something happen at 8,000+ meters per second, an 800 meter per second bullet is just cheap entertainment

Edit: and before anyone gets excited, Quantico's gas chromatograph has already tasted my cooking. Seems law enforcement will put anything white into a NIK test and shake it unless you tattle on yourself and tell them how bad of an idea it is out of fear for their safety (luckily, cooperation on that stuff is very appreciated lol). All that is behind me now, ....until the world falls apart and rioters come to my door out in the woods!
    Last edited by brandon lind; Tue 9th Jun 2020 at 01:37.

But you said the key thing there... its not a "red alert yet"

Thats how it happens, the erosion of freedoms. You don't take it all at once, you take it little by little. If you draw a line in the sand and someone crosses it, you react. But, if someone just puts their toes on the line, its not quite enough to wage full out war and you re-draw your personal line. The "line" for many is constantly on the move because the toes stay far enough back to be merely inconvenient, but not hostile. Before you know it, you don't realize how far that line has moved.

Consider the smog in California. If you could be cryogenically frozen and thawed 20 years later, you would go outside and say "Hey, this pollution is unacceptable!" But to those who were there for the transition little by little, they don't see it as such a threat to their way of life.

Earlier in this post, electrical inspections were mentioned. Today, I ran into a situation where I wished the US had such inspections. General Motors is a dangerous company. Going down the highway I've always known that its usually GM vehicles with marker lights out. After owning a few Chevys, I found out that it isn't the bulbs, its the sockets. They melt. The company knows this. Today I had to replace the heater blower resistor in my 2004 Silverado. Yep, the plug is melted into the resistor housing. Half was melted, the other half was rusty. GM has thrown the electrical code book to the wind and used under-rated connectors for everything and further cut costs by not using dielectric grease on anything. Every GM vehicle out there is a rolling ball of white phosphorus in my opinion. I wish things were routinely inspected over here, problems like this wouldn't continue unchecked by the manufacturers who are well aware of them.

You remind me of a .sig line I saw back in my Usenet days from some guy at General Dynamics. I'll never forget it:

General Dynamics Destructive Testing Laboratory
    YOU MAKE IT
    WE BREAK IT
    GUARANTEED.

sounds about right
    Last edited by brandon lind; Tue 9th Jun 2020 at 02:34.

But you said the key thing there... its not a "red alert yet"

Thats how it happens, the erosion of freedoms. You don't take it all at once, you take it little by little.
    True. Gotta boil the frog correctly.

Earlier in this post, electrical inspections were mentioned. Today, I ran into a situation where I wished the US had such inspections. [...]
    You could accomplish the same effect, but better, by having the inspections designed and mandated by insurance companies. If you buy a Ford, you can get good insurance rates from both Allstate and State Farm; but if you buy a Chevy, Allstate won't insure you and State Farm will charge you really high premiums. So nobody buys Chevys until GM gets its act together and earns approval from Allstate and State Farm.

If the insurance companies design the inspections to be too lenient, they end up paying out too much in claims and lose market share to their competitors; if they design them to be too restrictive, or charge premiums that are too high, they'll be undercut and lose market share to their competitors. Hence, you'll have standards being designed by folks who have a stake in getting them right and therefore hire people who know what the heck they're talking about, rather than by politicians.

You, sir, sound like a true problem solver!

I like that idea! On the flip side, Progressive will insure anyone driving anything because they have good enough attorneys that can stop any claim in its tracks. My girlfriend was rear-ended twice within 6 months. 6 years, countless RFN's, a lumbar fusion and a scheduled cervical fusion later, progressive is still successfully dragging things out.

Yeah...I have ideas in that area too, but I'm not sure how political we want to get on a ham radio forum. I'm not a liberal or a conservative, a Democrat or a Republican. My political views are so far out of the mainstream that nobody agrees with me. Most of the Big Questions of the Day I really don't give a fig about, and the political stuff I am passionate about, nobody else has ever considered. (For example, I think the root cause of some of the biggest blights on the US is legal tender laws. Wait, whaaaat?)

A benefit of that is that I'm accustomed to being opposed at every turn, so I don't tend to get profane or apocalyptic in debates; but a drawback is that I tend to do my political thinking in directions that most people don't, so to make almost any point requires paragraphs and paragraphs of explanatory background, which I don't want to write and nobody else wants to read; so unless I happen to accidentally make a disciple, the discussions tend to peter out before they get very far.

So yes, I'm a political nerd, but here I imagine it would be more appropriate to be a ham radio nerd. You know, the kind who makes plans to trail an HF antenna out of an airplane when he doesn't even have a license yet, much less an HF radio to drive the antenna. (I have a tiny little Yaesu transceiver that I toy with, but mostly use to monitor the National Weather Service on 162.55MHz; that's all.)

Quote Originally Posted by dnwiebe View Post
    Yeah...I have ideas in that area too, but I'm not sure how political we want to get on a ham radio forum. I'm not a liberal or a conservative, a Democrat or a Republican. My political views are so far out of the mainstream that nobody agrees with me. Most of the Big Questions of the Day I really don't give a fig about, and the political stuff I am passionate about, nobody else has ever considered. (For example, I think the root cause of some of the biggest blights on the US is legal tender laws. Wait, whaaaat?)

A benefit of that is that I'm accustomed to being opposed at every turn, so I don't tend to get profane or apocalyptic in debates; but a drawback is that I tend to do my political thinking in directions that most people don't, so to make almost any point requires paragraphs and paragraphs of explanatory background, which I don't want to write and nobody else wants to read; so unless I happen to accidentally make a disciple, the discussions tend to peter out before they get very far.

So yes, I'm a political nerd, but here I imagine it would be more appropriate to be a ham radio nerd. You know, the kind who makes plans to trail an HF antenna out of an airplane when he doesn't even have a license yet, much less an HF radio to drive the antenna. (I have a tiny little Yaesu transceiver that I toy with, but mostly use to monitor the National Weather Service on 162.55MHz; that's all.)
    Agreed, better get back to ham radio now. If you get worked up about legal tender, feel free to shoot me a private message. I'll likely be too busy tomorrow morning having my "fair compensation" considered "taxable wages" to respond in a timely manner though.