Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Pre-Noob

  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    No electrical appliance safety checks for American companies?
    I think you will find that there are more regulations in place than you are aware of. Every business in Europe must have all appliances tested yearly.
    You're probably right; but still, I've never heard of any government agent popping round to check the coffee maker.

    People cannot protest against safety checks.
    Heck, we're Americans. We can protest anything. We can even protest an Orthodox Jew because he calls men men and women women, and claim that he's a Nazi, and break windows and turn over dumpsters and set cars on fire. If we can protest that, I imagine a few safety checks would not be beyond us either.

    I have completely rewired many houses. [...] I am also a very good plumber.
    I've also done a fair amount of jackass wiring and plumbing, but most of the time I read the applicable code first, in case it has good ideas I haven't thought of. I also replaced an ancient coal-burning furnace with a modern gas-burning one, because the ductwork has asbestos in it and a professional replacement would have cost thousands and thousands of dollars because it would have been illegal for them to leave the old ductwork in place. The interesting part of that job was this: the old furnace had a big, round bonnet on it, maybe 1.25 or 1.5 meters in diameter, from which the heating ducts branched out to various places in the house. The new furnace was much smaller and rectangular. So I pulled the galvanized sheet steel that formed the main heat exchanger off the outside of the old furnace, did some math and some experimentation with cardboard and notebook paper, and then cut, bent, and fastened the sheet steel to form an adapter from the top of the small, rectangular gas furnace to the big, round bonnet from the old coal furnace. That's not the part my wife remembers about that job, but it's the part I remember. I'm pretty proud of that adapter.

    Sadly she had a heart attack 2wks after l completed it.
    I'm sorry to hear. My mother's still living, but she's pretty sure she has less than a year to live. And she knows what she's talking about, because she's been saying the same thing for at least twenty years.

    Guns? Very strict control in UK. They banned all private ownership of handguns in 1995 when a psycho walked into a school with 2 handguns & killed a class of 5yr olds.
    Yes, I know. That's not how it'll happen here. Here, the gun culture will just slowly become socially anathema, and all of us old gun guys will die off, and our children will root through our stuff and toddle our guns down to the local sheriff's buy-back, just to be rid of them because they're icky.

    But l have plenty experience with guns. My fav is the 9mm sub machine gun. Great feeling emptying a mag on full auto.
    Oh, forgot to mention. I was also in the army lol.
    Which 9mm subgun?

    I'm not much for full-auto weapons--but that may be because I buy my own ammunition. Right now my favorite gun is a Mossberg Scout rifle in 308 Winchester (which is nearly interchangeable with 7.62x51mm NATO). Light, short, handy, bolt-action with a box magazine, a quick-release forward-mounted 2.5x glass, and ghost-ring sights. Wow, is that thing fast. I have a Ching sling on it, so even slinging up for long shots is very quick. Perfect for a woods-walk-type competition.

    Guns would be very easy to make with the workshop that l have. I even have the correct metals. But l would have no application for them in UK. And making firearms would result in jail time.
    Yup.

    If l had to take care of an intruder then my Tiberius 9.1 is always loaded & ready with a mag of Grimburgs (made in the good ol' USA).
    Have a look what this guy does to the microwave with what is a "paintball gun". But police also use Tiberius guns for less lethal. But watch the video & you will agree they can kill at close range
    https://youtu.be/3v4Qe94dAw0
    Better than nothing, for sure.

    When you talk to guys on the radio, never say anything that you don't want the world to hear. Millions of shortwave listeners. And your address is also listed for them to find.
    Some guys you will get on much better with than others. So one QSO may be short & another may be very long. And yes many guys arrange qso's at set times. But if it's a distant QSO that will be controlled by the skip. Perhaps an idea if you got yourself an HF rig to listen in as a difficult thing to explain.

    But you can talk about anything you want. If you discover you have a common interest then the QSO can be very long. Or until the wife says your dinner will be burnt if you don't come off that radio.

    Somehow l feel it would be a very interesting QSO if we met on air.
    Could be, could be. You might turn out to be the motivation for me to put together an HF rig.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    The test proves absolutely nothing, doesn't mean a thing, it just shows that you put forth an effort to attempt to learn something so that you don't hurt yourself or someone else.
    In one sentence, you say both that it's meaningless and that it has a meaning. I imagine you probably have useful stuff to say, but following you isn't always a picnic.

    The only difference between amateur radio and the citizens band is 1 megahertz.
    Doesn't that put you, an amateur radio operator, dangerously and embarrassingly close to being a CBer?

    As Lewis Grizzard would have said, "I don't b'leeve I'd'a told that."

    As for us being old farts, that only shows how disrespectful you are.
    Of whom should I be respectful, do you think? Of you? Why is that? Of whom are you respectful?

    Good luck getting anyone knowledgeable to help you.
    Joke's on you: I already got you to help me in the Antennas thread, where you pointed me to that website explaining power reflections in an antenna system. That was great stuff, and very understandable. Brandon Lind claims it's garbage, and I don't have the knowledge to tell whether or not he's right; but if it's garbage at least it's understandable garbage, which is better than what I had before. So thanks for that--I really appreciate it.

    With your attitude you will quickly run out of new people to talk to.. Once they discover your attitude, they won't talk to you.
    You will end up running digital modes on your computer where no one talks to each other.
    I tried to explain things to you, but your mind is already made up.. Hopefully you will stay on a walkie talkie where only a small portion of people will be exposed to your attitude..
    We'll all have to wait to see what the future holds, I guess.

  3. #23

    Default

    Just checked out the IC-7610 when l read that you would need to justify that expense.
    Sure enough not cheap. 3k in UK. But they give you a free power supply. But....... They don't mention which type. As you already guessed, some of the advice from R2D2 is worth its salt. To be specific... Buy a linear power supply. Don't waste your cash on the switched mode crap.
    I managed to find a good "used" linear supply for a bargain price. Perhaps l can be called tight as l could easily afford to buy a brand new IC-7610. But those power supplies will last you a lifetime.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Just checked out the IC-7610 when l read that you would need to justify that expense.
    Sure enough not cheap. 3k in UK. But they give you a free power supply. But....... They don't mention which type. As you already guessed, some of the advice from R2D2 is worth its salt. To be specific... Buy a linear power supply. Don't waste your cash on the switched mode crap.
    I managed to find a good "used" linear supply for a bargain price. Perhaps l can be called tight as l could easily afford to buy a brand new IC-7610. But those power supplies will last you a lifetime.
    Wow. I looked it up again, and you're right. But just a week or two ago, I looked up the price and found it fluctuating between $11K and $12K. That's an amazing price drop in a short time. If I had a place for something like that, I might definitely consider dropping $3K on it. It'd take me a long time to learn how to get $3K of value out of it, but it's an amazing piece of gear.

    So the issue with a switched power supply is RF interference coming off the corners of the square waves inside the unit, right?

  5. #25

    Default

    Ah page 2. Since l am using my latest phone (Blackview 9800 Pro. Hell it even has Flir Lepton camera on it) l missed page 2. I assumed for some reason my last post did not post. Perhaps when the opticians open....


    Yep seems you already checked out the switch mode power supplies. Only positive on those things is they are super cheap & great if your application is non radio related.

    Yes l read through the study material for electricians & plumbers. Never missed a page. Only thing l didn't bother with was the exam. I even checked up on the updated regulations prior to commencing the work. ALL my wiring is above the spec required. As l know if l done it on the cheap it can come back & bite me on the ass. IE: l rewire a house. I sell it. It goes on fire 10yrs later. It is found that the fire started due to bad/below spec recent wiring. I would never condone bad wiring or advise people to diy. Likewise l would never rewire someone else's house without the appropriate qualifications. In UK they send you to jail for that.
    Before all these regs were in place l even done my own gas installations. Not any more.

    L2A3. The army scrapped it in 1988.
    So if they intended to scrap it, why not let me take a couple of them home with me? :-)
    https://youtu.be/hrepyXF-EQc

    But things have changed.
    After l left the army & went into nurse training, l missed guns.
    So l met a guy who worked at the hospital who had several shotguns & permission from every farmer in the area to shoot their land. We became great mates. Perhaps due to us both being the best players in the hospital snooker team. We always won our matches. Same on the pool tables. Everyone knew that a match would end with either me or my mate walking away with the cash. So we agreed to share it every time.
    So there l was every weekend out shooting. I would walk into the local gun shop & buy a few boxes of shells on a regular basis. I never had a certificate for a shotgun, but because l had gone in enough times with my mate they never bothered to ask. Just sold me as much ammo as l wanted.
    That would "never" happen in the present day.

    BTW. 7.62mm ammo. l have shot many of those rounds. The standard army issue many moons ago was the SLR (self loading rifle). That ammo can cause much destruction. Shoot a dude in the shoulder & his arm is gone.
    They put a blindfold on us & we had to strip down the weapon & re-assemble it. But they didn't make us shoot it bindfolded lol.
    Last edited by G7NFP; Thu 28th May 2020 at 08:05.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Likewise l would never rewire someone else's house without the appropriate qualifications. In UK they send you to jail for that.
    At least they donít send you to jail for retiring your own house. Thatís good.

    Before all these regs were in place l even done my own gas installations. Not any more.
    Yeah, I was a bit trepidatious about my gas plumbing in the furnace installation. Checked it every hour or so for a couple of days. Years later I had to replace the smart valve, and that was better. Soon Iíll need to replace the water heater, so thereíll be another adventure.

    L2A3.
    Wow. Thatís the one thatís a slightly less junky version of the Sten gun, right? Fires from an open bolt, completely stamped sheet metal except for a big, chunky blowback-operated bolt? Probably about four or five pounds in labor and materials?

    Wow. I had you figured for a HK MP5 guy.

    The army scrapped it in 1988.
    So if they intended to scrap it, why not let me take a couple of them home with me? :-)
    Exactly!

    But things have changed.
    After l left the army & went into nurse training, l missed guns.
    So l met a guy who worked at the hospital who had several shotguns & permission from every farmer in the area to shoot their land. We became great mates. Perhaps due to us both being the best players in the hospital snooker team. We always won our matches. Same on the pool tables. Everyone knew that a match would end with either me or my mate walking away with the cash. So we agreed to share it every time.
    So there l was every weekend out shooting. I would walk into the local gun shop & buy a few boxes of shells on a regular basis. I never had a certificate for a shotgun, but because l had gone in enough times with my mate they never bothered to ask. Just sold me as much ammo as l wanted.
    That would "never" happen in the present day.
    Is it common in the UK, do you think, for gun folks to set themselves up with reloading rigs and huge stockpiles of supplies and components, to achieve independence from the gun shops? There are folks like that here, and every time the gun grabbers start making noises about restricting ammunition, there are more.

    BTW. 7.62mm ammo. l have shot many of those rounds. The standard army issue many moons ago was the SLR (self loading rifle). That ammo can cause much destruction. Shoot a dude in the shoulder & his arm is gone.
    They put a blindfold on us & we had to strip down the weapon & re-assemble it. But they didn't make us shoot it bindfolded lol.
    7.62 is one of my Five Calibers. When I discovered that I was a gun nut, I restricted myself to Five Calibers so that I wouldnít spend the rent money on guns. Actually Four Calibers, but one of them didnít work because of my wifeís initial recoil sensitivity (now long gone), so it split into two.

    I could field-strip and reassemble any of my semiauto handguns blindfolded. Youíve made me curious about shotguns and semiauto rifles. I donít think Iíd ever want to try it with a lever-action rifle or a revolver, and I certainly wouldnít want to strip or reassemble a bolt rifleís bolt without looking.

    Iím probably talking too much about guns on a ham radio forum.

  7. #27

    Default

    In the USA, if you have a General Class License, you can use as much as 1500 watts on 10 meters. 400 watts may be only for Generals, but it is insignificant, because there is only a couple of decibels difference between the two and it doesn't take a whole lot of power to talk on 10 meters when the band is open, and there is no one on phone to talk to on 10 meters when it is not.

  8. #28

    Default

    1.5kw on 10m? Yet another example that USA must do things bigger & better.

    Now they are after Titanic's 5kw spark gap set. Not to mention the $300 million in diamonds ofcourse.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    With my wife
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Why do I feel I'm reading sixmeters all over again?

  10. #30

    Default

    Well Dan, you were serious when you said Americans can protest anything.

    The protests are all over our TVs in UK.
    Or to be more accurate... "Riots, Mindless Destruction, Arson & Looting".

    Er, what happened to the Covid-19 restrictions?
    Perhaps Americans believe the virus will go away if they protest against it.

    Makes me thankful to be a Brit.
    Last edited by G7NFP; Sat 30th May 2020 at 10:08.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Well Dan, you were serious when you said Americans can protest anything.

    The protests are all over our TVs in UK.
    Or to be more accurate... "Riots, Mindless Destruction, Arson & Looting".
    That's for sure.

    The building I used to work in before the Plague apparently sustained some unspecified riot damage Thursday night.

    It's pretty hard to take the rioters seriously when they even vandalize the property of loud riot supporters like CNN. I can't discern any coherent message other than "It's fun to tear up other people's stuff."

    On the other hand, perhaps the CNN attacks are an example of sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind. The Floyd murder is something that everyone in the country--heck, in the world--except those five cops could have been united about, but unity would have crippled the Narrative that is so important to the media, so in order to preserve the Narrative the media--especially CNN--have been doing everything possible to wedge crowbars into tiny cracks in the potential unity and rip them wide open.

    I'm still reasonably confident the riots won't spread as far as me and my wife, but if they do, we're ready for 'em. The police may be instructed to back off and let it burn, but we won't.

    Er, what happened to the Covid-19 restrictions?
    Perhaps Americans believe the virus will go away if they protest against it.
    Most of the COVID-19 restrictions are purely political at this point, I think. In polite society they're still the "done thing," but I think most people know on a visceral level that A) pretty much everybody's going to get it eventually anyway, and B) for the vast majority of people it's no worse than the flu, which many of us have already been through more than once.

    I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually filters out from under the Narrative that a number of these riots are against politically-sustained lockdowns rather than against the Floyd murder.

    Makes me thankful to be a Brit.
    It certainly doesn't paint us Americans in a particularly attractive light, does it?

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnwiebe View Post
    At least they donít send you to jail for retiring your own house. Thatís good.



    Yeah, I was a bit trepidatious about my gas plumbing in the furnace installation. Checked it every hour or so for a couple of days. Years later I had to replace the smart valve, and that was better. Soon Iíll need to replace the water heater, so thereíll be another adventure.



    Wow. Thatís the one thatís a slightly less junky version of the Sten gun, right? Fires from an open bolt, completely stamped sheet metal except for a big, chunky blowback-operated bolt? Probably about four or five pounds in labor and materials?

    Wow. I had you figured for a HK MP5 guy.



    Exactly!



    Is it common in the UK, do you think, for gun folks to set themselves up with reloading rigs and huge stockpiles of supplies and components, to achieve independence from the gun shops? There are folks like that here, and every time the gun grabbers start making noises about restricting ammunition, there are more.



    7.62 is one of my Five Calibers. When I discovered that I was a gun nut, I restricted myself to Five Calibers so that I wouldnít spend the rent money on guns. Actually Four Calibers, but one of them didnít work because of my wifeís initial recoil sensitivity (now long gone), so it split into two.

    I could field-strip and reassemble any of my semiauto handguns blindfolded. Youíve made me curious about shotguns and semiauto rifles. I donít think Iíd ever want to try it with a lever-action rifle or a revolver, and I certainly wouldnít want to strip or reassemble a bolt rifleís bolt without looking.

    Iím probably talking too much about guns on a ham radio forum.
    We stripped the SLRs down completely. Slide, breach ect. We had to memorise how we laid out the parts as the blindfold was not removed between strip down & re-assembley.
    That was considered an essential skill as if you had a breach block in total darkness when on a mission your life may well depend on getting that gun operational again in total darkness.
    Everyone had their own way of doing it. The army instructors did not care how we did it. As long as the weapon was operational when we re-assembled it.

    Yes that sub machine gun is a simplified version of the sten gun.
    I always smile at the movies where guys are running away & all the bullets miss them.
    In reality, if you are 20-30yds away from a dude with a fully automatic gun...... You are dead.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnwiebe View Post
    You're probably right; but still, I've never heard of any government agent popping round to check the coffee maker.
    It's not a 'government agent'

    because contrary to the popular in the in the 'land of the free' , the developed world is actually rather more free

    in terms of PAT and similar testing regimes ( lifting equipment and the like) the government Inspectors only lands if there is a problem ... however if you can;t demonstrate that you either have your own trained testers and a suitably robust separation from management pressures / have used a properly qualified external testing organisation , you are going to be bent over in court and the shafting you'll get will be without lube ...

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NicolaJayne View Post
    It's not a 'government agent'

    because contrary to the popular in the in the 'land of the free' , the developed world is actually rather more free

    in terms of PAT and similar testing regimes ( lifting equipment and the like) the government Inspectors only lands if there is a problem ... however if you can;t demonstrate that you either have your own trained testers and a suitably robust separation from management pressures / have used a properly qualified external testing organisation , you are going to be bent over in court and the shafting you'll get will be without lube ...
    Most "large" companies will use external testers for the very reason you mentioned. Small companies may not.

    I have a City & Guilds 2377, therefore l am qualified to test all the electrical appliances (anything that plugs in the wall is subject to compulsory annual testing).
    Like the ham qualifications, that certificate is for life. I was surprised to discover that no refresher course is required, even if (like myself) a person has not done any pat testing for a number of years.

    However the electronics company that l worked for never asked me to test appliances. The reason for that had nothing to do with having the testing done by an impartial external tester.
    It was simply because the electronic work & testing that l done was of much more value to them. Any fool can obtain a C&G-2377 qualification, it's only a 3 day course. But it would take years to train someone to do my work.

    I have many professional qualifications. Most require refresher courses if l have not been in practice for a number of years. Some require refreshers even if l have been in practice.
    However, that never seems to apply in the electronics industry (or some areas of it).

  15. #35

    Default

    Demonstrations have now started in UK (solidarity with USA).
    But they haven't started the arson & looting over here (yet).

    Yes l agree Dan. When they destroy & steal other people's property they have gone too far. In addition to that, the public in general will not sympathise with them. We will be watching to see how it goes for you in November.
    But the land of the free is as Nicola said..... "Not so free".

    CNN like any other media outlet in any other "western" country, are only interested in "the story". They want the demonstrations to turn violent as the better the story is, the more money they make out of it.

    A prime example was when Titanic went down. New York Times (and others both sides of the pond) paid out many thousands to those passengers & crew who survived on that fateful night for their story.
    The more sensational/violent the story was, the more they would pay. Simply because bad news makes money.
    CNN probably welcomed the attack on their building as millions would be tuning in to hear the story. And the story is worth more $$$$$ than it cost in repairs.
    The insurance would pay for the repairs anyway.

    But it will be interesting to see if any allegations will be made in the coming months & years regarding "why" some protesters decided to attack CNN's building (whilst CNN's film crews were out in numbers to cover the event from every angle).
    Or it may even be the case that the demonstrators decided to attack a major news outlet's building in order to gain the media coverage.
    If that was the case & l chaired the board at CNN, l would instruct the crews not to film the event.

    I personally would consider the media to be responsible for the riots in various cities. They keep stirring it up every day. Although some people may see things differently.
    Now protests are happening in UK, Germany & other European cities and beyond.

    Every time a car or building is on fire, or looting is happening, they rush to film it, then broadcast it, hoping that they are the first to report on the story.
    Why don't they simply report it & downplay the violence?

    We had the very same in UK a few years ago.
    Police shoot black man dead.... Riots, arson & looting in London (for starters).

    What happened next l had some difficulty understanding.

    When the media covered the riots they added a "MUSIC SOUNDTRACK".
    I thought WTF & said to the xyl "they have glorified that riot in the eyes of the young". That will result in nationwide riots. Sure enough the riots begun in most major city's.
    Was one of those rare occasions that the xyl admitted that l was right :-)

    Check it out.... Then tell me the media + social media did not encourage riots.
    The music videos posted by individuals did not surprise me. But l was speachless when mainstream news channels added a music soundtrack. Are they total idiots?
    Granted, they refrained from adding music sound tracks to their coveridge in the days that followed (perhaps some authority had applied some pressure). But it was already too late as riots had already sprung up in many cities nationwide.

    People died in those riots. Therefore those news channels should have been charged with manslaughter imo.

    https://youtu.be/xkUB0P5OpgI

    https://youtu.be/ZDSet5infs8

    https://youtu.be/eg8j-axNigM

    But in London the local guys realised that the police had their hands tied by the left wing lunacy.
    So they took the law into their own hands & went out on the hunt for the "hoodies" responsible for the destruction. And when they found them......... Well they don't want that part on film
    https://youtu.be/rSsxiMhNGUo

    So in UK, local guys & business owners took to the streets across the country to defend their own communities against the rioters. Will Americans do the same? Or will they stand there & let the thugs burn down & loot their property?
    https://youtu.be/6Ac-CpHMx20

    https://youtu.be/DXFuf5Cjy-A
    Last edited by G7NFP; Wed 3rd Jun 2020 at 21:00.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    It depends on the location. At least in the US, the riots are almost exclusively a liberal-on-liberal phenomenon. Liberals—especially urban liberals—tend not to have guns, because they depend on police to protect them. (Until they defund the police, of course.) Some of them try to defend their businesses, mostly either in an unarmed fashion or with ineffective weapons, but others depend on luck or expressions of solidarity with the rioters.

    Folks in smaller cities, villages, and rural locations have police forces that are smaller, less well-trained and -equipped, and even sometimes an hour or more away. They can’t depend on police to protect them, and their mindset is more generally individualistic anyway. They’d be more likely to defend their businesses with lethal force, except that for the most part their businesses are not in danger. Antifa is safest in cities that have been run by liberals for decades.

    This isn’t to say that conservatives don’t have their problems or that they can’t be equally annoying, but they’re not really a factor one way or another in this rioting business in the US. There have been many demonstrations in conservative areas against the brutality of Derek Chauvin, but they’ve been almost unfailingly polite, so you haven’t heard of them.

    The thing that interests me is the attorney general’s decision to increase the charges against Chauvin. The AG is a big BLM supporter. Overcharging leads to acquittals. If I was Chauvin’s defense lawyer, I think there’s a fair chance I could make an argument that he didn’t specifically intend to kill Floyd. It has occurred to me to wonder whether the AG is bucking for an acquittal because he wants to see the resulting continued riots.

  17. #37

    Default

    Ah, l thought the very same. No way could they make a murder charge stick. Especially considering that the cop was fully aware that he was being filmed by bystanders.

    It's also been mentioned on our news that the victim had Covid. Therefore the defense will most certainly argue that his breathing difficulties were due to the virus. They will also argue that the officer had restrained suspects in the same manner throughout his career & this was the only fatality. No doubt the defense will put police training under the microscope, and also the many cases where suspects have been restrained in the same manner by police forces nationwide & internationally which did not result in fatalities.

    I am not a solicitor & l, like yourself, can already see cracks in those charges.

    Yes you are right. After the jury let that cop walk, the riots will resume with more aggression than we have seen so far. They will also be careful to ensure the jury is 50/50. But after the cop walks, they will argue that the jury should have been 100% black. They don't want a trial, they want a lynching. He has already been found guilty by the media.

    If Trump wins this year he will do all in his power to ensure that the trial does not happen before 2025. That will leave the Dems to cope with the fallout.

    The demonstrations are now global. Even Australia has kicked in.

    So that trial will be broadcast worldwide.
    I was looking at the number of cops killed every year in US. If l was on that cops defense team l would be having a closer look at that data. I don't need to spell it out to yourself as you are already ahead of me.
    But isn't it normal in US courts for several charges to be presented to the jury? IE: murder 1, murder 2, murder 3?. Then the jury can choose which (if any) to convict on.

    In UK they don't have those stages of murder. They simply have "murder" or "manslaughter". The latter being equiv to your murder 2 or 3.

    IMO the cop used excessive & prolonged force. He cannot argue that he feared for his safety as the guy was in no way violent. And more than enough officers were present to practice safe restraint. The guys only crime was a dodgy $20 note. There is no evidence to suggest he knew it was dodgy.
    Therefore imo that cop should go to jail.

    For the record. If anyone considers anything l have said to be racist. "Read it again". I am not racist. Yes l am white. But my wife is Jamaican. And my kids are 50/50. My grandkids 75/25 (w/b).

    Demonstrations are on in London tonight (can't think where l put the popcorn).
    However, apart from a few bottles launched at the cops, they have been peaceful. So no riots, arson or looting in UK (so far).
    If the protests in US had been peaceful, people would have had more respect, and l would predict that the numbers would have been much higher.
    Many people (in every country) who would have liked to join those protests have avoided them for fear of becoming involved in a riot & putting themselves & their family at risk.
    Last edited by G7NFP; Sat 6th Jun 2020 at 18:36.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I'd say that's a pretty good analysis of the case--with the understanding that I have no legal experience of any kind other than being excused from a jury for telling the prosecutor what I thought of her. I think there's a pretty good chance of convicting him of Murder 3 (reckless and wanton disregard for human life) without having to go as low as manslaughter (simple negligence leading to death), but for Murder 2 they need to prove a specific intent to kill, and I'm not sure they can. I'm pretty sure the three henchmen are going to slip the aiding-and-abetting charges, too. All in all, a disappointing situation; but then, politicians and media love riots--politicians because it usually results in more power for them, media because it makes for exciting headlines (some of the headlines, of course, made by politicians virtue-signaling about how much they hate riots).

    So here's a question about ham radio. Suppose I were to go up in a small airplane, say to an altitude of 2000m or so. Suppose I had a portable HF rig in the airplane, and wanted to try making contacts with an antenna trailing in the slipstream. I wouldn't be able to ground the antenna, of course; the best non-grounded antenna I know of is a dipole. So suppose I made a half-wave dipole for, say 14.3MHz at 10.5m long like this: I get a couple of bare wires each 5.25m long, and connect them to the shield and center of a piece of coax that's oh, say 20m long to make sure the antenna gets out behind the plane. The dipole arm from the center I leave trailing; the one from the shield I tape back along the coax with electrical tape.

    Will an antenna like that work, or will the proximity of the feedline to half the antenna compromise it in some way? Do you have a better idea for an antenna trailed out of an airplane?

  19. #39

    Default

    Lol an antenna trailing out of a plane? Many safety issues with that. Don't the antenna systems on planes work just fine? You can be sure that the military have the best options available with their endless funding.

    I can't believe what we are hearing from the good ol' USA now. Disbanding police forces?????? Then replacing them with some "unarmed" peaceful group, which some would like to call "social workers".

    All l can say is ROFLMAO.

    I foresee a complete breakdown of law & order.
    So if a dude is running around killing people with a gun, they will send in this peaceful unarmed group to talk to him??????

  20. #40

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Lol an antenna trailing out of a plane? Many safety issues with that.
    What safety issues are you thinking? I'm considering having my wife feed the antenna out the side window after we arrive on station. It's a T-tail plane, which means the elevators will be too high to become entangled. It has a single tractor prop, which means no rear propeller to worry about. And we'll retract it long before we think about landing. We'll be high enough that even if we have an engine failure and have to force a landing, there'll be enough time to reel it in before we get that low.

    It may indeed be a stupid idea, but I don't yet see why.

    Don't the antenna systems on planes work just fine? You can be sure that the military have the best options available with their endless funding.
    Light airplanes transmit on aviation VHF (118-136MHz) with the comm radios, and on a few UHF freqs around 1GHz for legacy analog transponders and the newer ADS-B digital transponders. They receive on more frequencies than that (older planes may still have automatic direction finders that listen for non-direction beacons down in the hundreds-of-kHz MF range), but their transmit antennas are all much shorter than you'd want for HF.

    I can't believe what we are hearing from the good ol' USA now. Disbanding police forces?????? Then replacing them with some "unarmed" peaceful group, which some would like to call "social workers".

    All l can say is ROFLMAO.
    Yup. I have been complaining about police brutality for decades (although it didn't occur to me to confuse it with racism for increased dramatic effect) and I would certainly not mind seeing the government-police model replaced...but not with tax-funded social workers. I'm convinced that the root of the problem is that it's the government that is paying for the beatings and the private citizens who are taking the beatings. Economists call that moral hazard.

    I imagine it'll be an initiative by Democrats in Democrat cities run by Democrat mayors and Democrat city councils, replacing Democrat police departments with Democrat social workers accompanied by cheerleading and hype from Democrat media; and when it all goes horribly wrong, somehow it'll be the fault of Republicans in general (probably because they're racist, somehow) and specifically Donald Trump.

    That's my prediction.

    So if a dude is running around killing people with a gun, they will send in this peaceful unarmed group to talk to him??????
    No offense intended to you, and certainly no defense intended for the BLM scam, but...aren't the Brits the ones who came up with the idea of unarmed bobbies enforcing the law? "Stop! Or...I'll say 'stop' again!"
    Last edited by dnwiebe; Sun 7th Jun 2020 at 20:40.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •