Thread: Ten Tec 559AT Eagle

Default Ten Tec 559AT Eagle

Just wondering what the value of the Ten Tec Eagle (599AT) would be these days. A good friend passed and his wife is looking to sell off his radio if possible. The rig was definitely in a smoking shack so I know this wont help matters out much. Just looking for a little input from the group.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not aware of us being an appraisal service. Unfortunately, Ten Tec went out of business and is not coming back.
    All of their inventory was sold at auction - which means when it breaks, and it will break, there is no support for that radio.
    The radio was highly discounted when sold new, just due to the fact that the manufacturer knew they were going out of business, they were just trying to get rid of them. The radio itself was modeled after a popular design mobile, compact in form figure, not a lot of options.
    The final run there was no quality control - it was just build it and get it out the door before we close the door.
    I don't even remember if it came with a hand mic - some Ten Tec's did not.
    Unlike radios from 50 years ago, which were easy to repair, had a surplus of parts, and tubes, this radio - with its lead free soldier, if you get 10 years out if it, you would be lucky. Used radio easily loose 50% of their value.

Because there was no Dayton Hamfest this year, and because of the Corona Virus and just because other manufacturers dumped massive amounts of new radios on the market in the past few years - Kenwood did it with the 590s when the 590sg came out - dropped the price of a brand new radio the whole way down to $900.00 - it killed the value of all the radios sold before it. I paid $1850 for my 590s in 2011.

An honest appraisal would need to be made in person, just saying I have brand X radio, or even giving the year, or saying it was hardly used doesn't tell us anything - like does it have alternate filters - expensive filters that did not come with the radio. DSP Technology - removed that expense. Microphones, headsets etc. Unscrupulous sellers tries to sell them piecemeal to get more money out of one sale.
    I HATE RESELLERS!

Personally, I don't think its worth more than $500.00

All hams has friends, all friends are always looking for a deal. Most hams makes arrangements before they die - give my radio to so and so. Or sell my radio for X amount of Dollars! I actually knew one guy that put price tags on all his stuff before he died.. I don't think the widow got what he thought it was worth! Amateur Radio is the only hobby where someone buys something electronic, uses it for 10 years and thinks that it is still worth every penny they paid for it new.

My parents first VCR, Panasonic - cost four hundred dollars, they threw it in the garbage about 5 years later when it died. It ate a couple of tapes and that was the end. By that time a new Sony had gone down to $200.00 5 years ago I bought a used Sony VCR in Goodwill for $15.00, a 400 watt head unit - surround sound stereo for $20.00, a Sony cassette deck dual dubbing for $8.00, my first one was over $300
    Last edited by R2D2; Wed 20th May 2020 at 12:54.

rdscuba,

I am in a similar situation. A friend that lived down the road, passed away recently. His XYL gave me all of his ham radio gear to sell. Well, I bought some of it, but there were other pieces that I really didn't want. One of the pieces was a brand new Yaesu FT-991A. He bought it only about 6 months before he passed on. It worked great for him. So I tried to sell it for about $900. But I got no takers. Finally I had to send it back to his XYL because the gear wasn't moving around here. I live in a very rural area. The postage alone, just to send it to his XYL was $140.

Anyway, back to your issue. The Ten Tec Eagle (599AT) is a nice radio. The asking price depends on what is included. Here is a link to Universal Radio Inc.. The link takes you to a listing for several Ten Tec Eagle (599AT) radios that sold recently. As you will see, they were going for about $1,500 to $1,700. I found another site where the same radio was being offered for $1,050. So that may give you an idea of the price range you should be asking. Just look around to see what the going price is.

What is going to hurt the price the most is the "smoking shack". That odor gets into all the gear and is very difficult to get rid of. Another friend of mine, also a ham, was a cigar smoker. His shack was a nice outbuilding that was about 10' x 15'. Several years after he sold his place, I had a chance to go in his old shack. The stench was terrible. The new owner had cleaned all the walls and surfaces, and gave it a new paint job. But that wasn't much help. The stink is there for good.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by k7mem View Post
    rdscuba,

I am in a similar situation. A friend that lived down the road, passed away recently. His XYL gave me all of his ham radio gear to sell. Well, I bought some of it, but there were other pieces that I really didn't want. One of the pieces was a brand new Yaesu FT-991A. He bought it only about 6 months before he passed on. It worked great for him. So I tried to sell it for about $900. But I got no takers. Finally I had to send it back to his XYL because the gear wasn't moving around here. I live in a very rural area. The postage alone, just to send it to his XYL was $140.

Anyway, back to your issue. The Ten Tec Eagle (599AT) is a nice radio. The asking price depends on what is included. Here is a link to Universal Radio Inc.. The link takes you to a listing for several Ten Tec Eagle (599AT) radios that sold recently. As you will see, they were going for about $1,500 to $1,700. I found another site where the same radio was being offered for $1,050. So that may give you an idea of the price range you should be asking. Just look around to see what the going price is.

What is going to hurt the price the most is the "smoking shack". That odor gets into all the gear and is very difficult to get rid of. Another friend of mine, also a ham, was a cigar smoker. His shack was a nice outbuilding that was about 10' x 15'. Several years after he sold his place, I had a chance to go in his old shack. The stench was terrible. The new owner had cleaned all the walls and surfaces, and gave it a new paint job. But that wasn't much help. The stink is there for good.
    Thanks for your advise. I did look at Universal myself but noted the 3 they had sold in 2011, 2012 and 2014 for the prices you mentioned. I felt that 6-10 year old pricing may be a bit high and was hoping to see a 2019/2020 sale but I couldn't be that lucky... lol!

As far as the smoke, I also understand and am familiar with the huge drawbacks that brings. I have worked on computers for friends and family over the years that have come from a smoking environment. I did everything possible to clean and blow them out before I would bring them into my house. After about the 2nd time I brought a smoky PC into the house my wife put her foot down and refused to allow me to work on them. It was awful while working on them and would take days/weeks to get the smell out of our office.

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    I'm not aware of us being an appraisal service. Unfortunately, Ten Tec went out of business and is not coming back.
    All of their inventory was sold at auction - which means when it breaks, and it will break, there is no support for that radio.
    The radio was highly discounted when sold new, just due to the fact that the manufacturer knew they were going out of business, they were just trying to get rid of them. The radio itself was modeled after a popular design mobile, compact in form figure, not a lot of options.
    The final run there was no quality control - it was just build it and get it out the door before we close the door.
    I don't even remember if it came with a hand mic - some Ten Tec's did not.
    Unlike radios from 50 years ago, which were easy to repair, had a surplus of parts, and tubes, this radio - with its lead free soldier, if you get 10 years out if it, you would be lucky. Used radio easily loose 50% of their value.

Because there was no Dayton Hamfest this year, and because of the Corona Virus and just because other manufacturers dumped massive amounts of new radios on the market in the past few years - Kenwood did it with the 590s when the 590sg came out - dropped the price of a brand new radio the whole way down to $900.00 - it killed the value of all the radios sold before it. I paid $1850 for my 590s in 2011.

An honest appraisal would need to be made in person, just saying I have brand X radio, or even giving the year, or saying it was hardly used doesn't tell us anything - like does it have alternate filters - expensive filters that did not come with the radio. DSP Technology - removed that expense. Microphones, headsets etc. Unscrupulous sellers tries to sell them piecemeal to get more money out of one sale.
    I HATE RESELLERS!

Personally, I don't think its worth more than $500.00

All hams has friends, all friends are always looking for a deal. Most hams makes arrangements before they die - give my radio to so and so. Or sell my radio for X amount of Dollars! I actually knew one guy that put price tags on all his stuff before he died.. I don't think the widow got what he thought it was worth! Amateur Radio is the only hobby where someone buys something electronic, uses it for 10 years and thinks that it is still worth every penny they paid for it new.

My parents first VCR, Panasonic - cost four hundred dollars, they threw it in the garbage about 5 years later when it died. It ate a couple of tapes and that was the end. By that time a new Sony had gone down to $200.00 5 years ago I bought a used Sony VCR in Goodwill for $15.00, a 400 watt head unit - surround sound stereo for $20.00, a Sony cassette deck dual dubbing for $8.00, my first one was over $300
    Thanks for taking a bit of your time to reply. I agree that without a bench test with proper test equipment there is no way to know. I am also not super familiar with Ten-Tec so your input on the quality of stuff they built was informative. I didn't know if they were tried and true with a long track record of being built like a "tank" or not.

I assumed this forum might bring some 599 users out who could offer some real world info and advise about the radio and maybe a recent sale price or something.

Thanks again for your help.

Well, I would just settle on a price that is fair. It may be a little high, but the buyer will probably offer you less. If the offer is reasonable, you both win.

Yea, PCs are probably worse than radios for smoke. Their fans suck in a lot of dust and dirt. When you mix the nicotine with the dust, it makes a nice layer of smelly yuk.

I was a smoker for may years. Then, in the year 2000, my appendix went bad. Apparently I was not Y2K compatible. After the appendix was removed, they found cancer cells in it. A followup operation determined that, the cells didn't migrate out of the appendix. So it wasn't exactly the big "C", just a little "c". But I figured, that was a good time to quit. And I did. But even before that, I never smoked around my equipment. The only thing that smoked a bit was my soldering iron.

Good luck selling the Ten Tek.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.