Thread: Wind mill

Default Wind mill

I have an old water pump windmill on my farm its not hooked up to anything but blades still turn in the wind. I would like to put an antenna on it but not sure if I would get picket fencing from just blade spinning.

Experiment and find out! You didn't give any information about what type of antenna, what frequency range or anything else. Would the antenna be attached to the part that turns in the wind, or would it be stationary?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Take the windmill down, put up the antenna. yes it will cause interference.

Windmills makes excellent radio antenna towers, as long as it doesn't have a windmill on it.

You have to choose, one or the other..

If it was a 100 foot tower, you could side hang a jib boom off the side of the tower below the blades and put up an Off Center Fed antenna at say 75 feet, would make an excellent tower for that!

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Experiment and find out! You didn't give any information about what type of antenna, what frequency range or anything else. Would the antenna be attached to the part that turns in the wind, or would it be stationary?
    K7KBN I'm sorry I'm really new at this I was hoping to put up a 2 meter VHF antenna and make it stationary on top so blades would not hit it. I was thinking of making a 1/4 wave as I dont have anything as of now. I dont own a radio or anything yet still studying for tech test just thinking ahead.

Mechanical noise might translate to electrical noise...

OK - sounds like the blades really should come down. A quarter-wavelength vertical is an ideal place to start out, but let me ask one more question: How far from the bottom of the antenna to the transmitter? This is VHF now, and the signal losses in the feedline (coax, probably) are much higher than down, say, on 40 meters. If the tower were attached, say, to a barn, and if the barn had electric service, you might have the start of a nice station.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

VHF - go big or go home.

You always want to use the best antenna with the most gain and the lowest loss coax, unless all you want to do is play on the local repeater.

40' is a minimum for a good station and 100' of coax is about as far as you want to get away from your antenna.

Vertical Hf antenna would be a last resort, verticals needs lot's of ground radials. A dipole, like I described previous is optimum.

just apply the brakes with a trusty zip tie and get the antenna ground plane above the blades. When you get tired of radio (lol, thats a joke) you can cut the zip tie and go back to watching it spin!

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    just apply the brakes with a trusty zip tie and get the antenna ground plane above the blades. When you get tired of radio (lol, thats a joke) you can cut the zip tie and go back to watching it spin!
    I Like your idea but think its not going to work. I see that my run is to far so back to the drawing board. better to find out now before I invest money. Thank you
    Maybe Ill look at my flag pole or top of morton buildings.