Thread: Local antenna regulations?

Default Local antenna regulations?

Hello! My first post here. I've a technician license, but have been for the first time in earnest considering to study for the general exam (I've actually done my first handful of flashcards), to then perhaps operate a new base transceiver. The cost may discourage me too much to do so in the end, but before I make a decision I was trying to learn what the specific laws regarding antennas were in my city. I live in Irvine, CA, in a two story home, not subject to HOA, but there are some huge eucalyptus trees in very close proximity to me.

I must be using the incorrect keywords for searches, and pardon my ignorance, but I do not know where to find this information. There is actually a ham organization here, it is supervised by the PD, and is called IDEC, but I could not find any direct contact info, and I looked for a long time. I could contact the PD directly, but I'd feel awkward in doing that to just ask about antenna laws. I did learn of IDEC's two repeater stations though.

Does anyone have guidance on how to find this specific information? Thank you very much.

Hi from UK.

Antenna problems shouldn't be much of an obstacle for you. Sounds like you are in a position to put up a dipole. That would not be noticed & wouldn't require permission if it was on land that you own or rent.

If you wanted a "vertical" then you can disguise it as a FLAGPOLE.
    If you wanted a big ass beam on a tower, or on your house, then that's another matter. In UK we require planning permission for those. I would assume you would also require permission from your local authority. Although most authority's tend not to be sympathetic towards ham antennas. So if you can hide it, then that's the way to go.

Best of luck.

73 Jim

I WOULD THINK that if you wanted to know the answer, you would call your local authorities and ask.

Do your self a favor, buy the ARRL General Class License manual, for get about flashcards and trying to cheat your way into the hobby by only doing the bare minimum to pass the exam. In the end you are only cheating yourself. there are more benefits to having a general and a lot more things to do once you get on hf, but unless you find some common ground with the ppl already there, you won't have any fun. Even if all you do is learn the material, you at least have something to talk about..

As others have indicated, go to the correct authorities. Start with the city. While you may not be covered by a HOA, there may still be covenants that cover your area. These covenants often exclude antennas. If any covenants exist, they should be listed in your home owner's paper work. Many people do not read all that paperwork, but they should. Also check your Zoning requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by tasteslikechicken View Post
    I live in Irvine, CA, in a two story home, not subject to HOA, but there are some huge eucalyptus trees in very close proximity to me.
    If those trees are not on your property, do not attempt to use them. Further, I wouldn't depend on Eucalyptus trees for support. Eucalyptus trees are known to be "self pruning". I had a couple of Eucalyptus trees in my yard, in my previous residence. I had one removed because, it was right next to the pool. The leaves from that tree are terrible in a pool. The other Eucalyptus tree was very big and continually shed it's branches. And the branches were huge. One branch tore down my antenna and crumpled the mast. After that I avoided those trees.

I must be using the incorrect keywords for searches, and pardon my ignorance, but I do not know where to find this information. There is actually a ham organization here, it is supervised by the PD, and is called IDEC, but I could not find any direct contact info, and I looked for a long time. I could contact the PD directly, but I'd feel awkward in doing that to just ask about antenna laws. I did learn of IDEC's two repeater stations though.
    On the City of Ervine web page for IDEC, there are a couple of phone numbers. But other than that, there isn't much in contact information. I looked on the IDEC web site. But they also do not provide contact information. They have several applications available, but don't tell you what to do with it, once you fill it out. If you are a member of QRZ you can look up N6IPD and obtain a email address. N6IPD is the call sign for the group.

As far as studying for the General. I think you should also study for the Extra. I took all the tests, before they lowered the Morse Code requirements. I didn't find them to be very difficult. I took the Tech and General written tests, plus the 13 WPM Morse test, in one session. I then went back 2 months later and took the Advanced and Extra written tests, plus the 20 WPM Morse test, in one session. The effort is worth it.

Good luck with your antenna.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    I WOULD THINK that if you wanted to know the answer, you would call your local authorities and ask.

Do your self a favor, buy the ARRL General Class License manual, for get about flashcards and trying to cheat your way into the hobby by only doing the bare minimum to pass the exam. In the end you are only cheating yourself. there are more benefits to having a general and a lot more things to do once you get on hf, but unless you find some common ground with the ppl already there, you won't have any fun. Even if all you do is learn the material, you at least have something to talk about..
    Flashcards? Cheating?

When l read he was using "flashcards" l assumed that they were simply books on a memory card.
    So l Google them. Still no wiser as unless l bought them l am in the dark as to their content. But in this day & age most study material can be simply downloaded or purchased on memory cards.
    So l am still wondering why you consider using information in that format to be cheating.

I never had those options when l sat the exams in the 90s. It was night school & many study hours with a pile of expensive books. So to ensure that l would not need to spend any more or worry about any future exams l sat both the RAE exams.

I have no idea how the exam system works in the UK now. Can guys sit the exam for the FULL licence & skip the Foundation & Intermediate exams?. Although there were only 2 levels when l sat the exams if l remember correctly.

In USA can guys sit the extra exam & skip the rest? Or do they need to start at the bottom & work up?

Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Flashcards? Cheating?

When l read he was using "flashcards" l assumed that they were simply books on a memory card.
    So l Google them. Still no wiser as unless l bought them l am in the dark as to their content. But in this day & age most study material can be simply downloaded or purchased on memory cards.
    So l am still wondering why you consider using information in that format to be cheating.

I never had those options when l sat the exams in the 90s. It was night school & many study hours with a pile of expensive books. So to ensure that l would not need to spend any more or worry about any future exams l sat both the RAE exams.

I have no idea how the exam system works in the UK now. Can guys sit the exam for the FULL licence & skip the Foundation & Intermediate exams?. Although there were only 2 levels when l sat the exams if l remember correctly.

In USA can guys sit the extra exam & skip the rest? Or do they need to start at the bottom & work up?

As I understand it you in theory ( and when live exams are back up and running sit all three theory papers in quick succession if not the same day and do the practical assessments in quick succession ) but as each licence in the UK currently assumes knowledge of the previous and doesn;t re test you have to do them all

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

G7NFP:
    I am mainly asking because I inquired for starter setup recs from the store where I bought my handheld years ago. He responded by telling me to first look further into my local regs. I have attic space where my antler is for my TV antenna, but I assumed having it outside would be truly ideal.

RD2D:
    I shall now consider to ask the PD directly then.

I thought of flashcards because that's how I passed the technician exam, and it just happened to work well for me with a 100% score. In my defense, I am generally an inquisitive person. Even though my degrees are only in classical music, I do all my own work on my cars from electrical to engine, have built/rebuilt speakers/subs, etc. I like this kind of stuff, generally speaking.

k7mem:
    Thanks for the warning! I only mentioned the trees because I am afraid of how greatly they will interfere with performance. They are very many, tall, and close.

Thank you for both your effort and resourcefulness in learning about available contact info for me! Regarding an application that I had seen, I was supposed to fill it out and bring it in person to the next club meeting, but of course these days there are none scheduled.

I am not even sure that I plan on taking the general yet, I am just getting a feel I want to reiterate, but if I do I will now most certainly consider your advice to study for the extra. But honestly, I kind of like having to take tests intermittently, because then it further cements the knowledge, resisting the inevitable fade of memory. (FWIW, I was offered to take the general exam immediately after the proctors scored my first exam, but I refused.)

G7NFP
    (second time)
    I am certainly the last person who should be answering this here(!) but my impression was that one must sit through all exams in sequence.

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by tasteslikechicken; Wed 6th May 2020 at 02:16. Reason: 4x bad grammar :P

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

G7NFP:
    I am mainly asking because I inquired for starter setup recs from the store where I bought my handheld years ago. He responded by telling me to first look further into my local regs. I have attic space where my antler is for my TV antenna, but I assumed having it outside would be truly ideal.

RD2D:
    I shall now consider to ask the PD directly then.

I thought of flashcards because that's how I passed the technician exam, and it just happened to work well for me with a 100% score. In my defense, I am generally an inquisitive person. Even though my degrees are only in classical music, I do all my own work on my cars from electrical to engine, have built/rebuilt speakers/subs, etc. I like this kind of stuff, generally speaking.

k7mem:
    Thanks for the warning! I only mentioned the trees because I am afraid of how greatly they will interfere with performance. They are very many, tall, and close.

Thank you for both your effort and resourcefulness in learning about available contact info for me! Regarding an application that I had seen, I was supposed to fill it out and bring it in person to the next club meeting, but of course these days there are none scheduled.

I am not even sure that I plan on taking the general yet, I am just getting a feel I want to reiterate, but if I do I will now most certainly consider your advice to study for the extra. But honestly, I kind of like having to take tests intermittently, because then it further cements the knowledge, resisting the inevitable fade of memory. (FWIW, I was offered to take the general exam immediately after the proctors scored my first exam, but I refused.)

G7NFP
    (second time)
    I am certainly the last person who should be answering this here(!) but my impression was that one must sit through all exams in sequence.

Thanks again everyone!
    No you are certainly not the last person who should be "answering this here"

I may have a Full license but it's a UK full licence. You have a Tech license in USA therefore l would consider you to be more knowledgeable than l on the subject of the exam system in USA (although there may be some who have no experience or qualifications & feel they can tell everyone how the world turns).

So l was only asking. I will leave those who have sat the American ham exams to advise you.
    But if you need any advice in any other areas l am always happy to help.

Just to mention. If permission is denied for an external antenna (you didn't mention beam or vertical) you can rig one up in your attic. But bear in mind that could affect a TV antenna, so you may need to relocate that.

I speak from experience as many years ago l lived in a rented 3rd floor apartment. I had sole access to the very large attic. For 4yrs the landlord had no idea that l had a 2m beam in that attic.

Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Just to mention. If permission is denied for an external antenna (you didn't mention beam or vertical) you can rig one up in your attic. But bear in mind that could affect a TV antenna, so you may need to relocate that.

I speak from experience as many years ago l lived in a rented 3rd floor apartment. I had sole access to the very large attic. For 4yrs the landlord had no idea that l had a 2m beam in that attic.
    I don't know what kind of antenna if any I would get right now, I am sorry I cannot provide you more info so that you may even better help me.

Thank you for the very relevant info regarding the TV! It is used quite extremely rarely as it is, and as best I can foresee, would probably never be used at the same time. Thanks for watching out for me.