Thread: Call Sign Search

Default Call Sign Search

So I passed my Tech on 4/14 and I'm waiting on my call. It was mailed in so I'm assuming it's going to take a while. I do have my GMRS and an FRN however I can't even look my GMRS up using the search function. I've tried different combinations of my name, first and last, last comma space and first. Just my last name. Nothing comes up. However I can login directly to the License Manager and it shows I have an active GMRS license. This leads me to believe even if I tried searching my call for HAM it wouldn't come up. Am I doing something wrong in the search? Thanks.

Note, just because GMRS and FRN are capitalized, "ham" is not. It is not a acronym like GMRS and FRN. It's just "ham".

Registering your license usually happens pretty quickly. But if you are handling your submission via mail, it may take a bit longer. I don't know, however, whether your other licenses will be listed with your ham license. If you specifically requested a response via mail, you will get no response from the FCC. They no longer generate paper licenses automatically.

I have found the search function, on the FCC's web site, to be pretty easy to use. You need to do your search in the "Universal Licensing System" (ULS) section. I did a search with just my last name and found about 10 license listings. It even found my call sign from 20 years ago. In your case, there is another section that does an Application search. I don't know your last name, so I can't do the search for you. Due to our current times, your application may be delayed due to the lack of personnel available.

The GMRS licenses are in the same ULS section, but I don't think the FRS registered licenses are in the same area.

When I tested, I took the Advanced and Extra class tests (plus the 20 WPM Morse test) at the same VE session. But at the time they processed everything sequentially. So after two or three weeks, I finally received my Advanced class license. Then, two or three weeks later, I received my Extra class license. Things are much faster now, but you still have to be patient. Your license will come through.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsemperfi View Post
    So I passed my Tech on 4/14 and I'm waiting on my call. It was mailed in so I'm assuming it's going to take a while. I do have my GMRS and an FRN however I can't even look my GMRS up using the search function. I've tried different combinations of my name, first and last, last comma space and first. Just my last name. Nothing comes up. However I can login directly to the License Manager and it shows I have an active GMRS license. This leads me to believe even if I tried searching my call for HAM it wouldn't come up. Am I doing something wrong in the search? Thanks.
    If you tested with the ARRL and they mailed in your test results, it could take a while. The ARRL is closed now and it may be there is no one picking up their mail during the closure. If the mail is being held by the post office, it may not be picked up until they reopen. Then it might take a few days for them to prepare the batch file for the FCC.

If you know your FRN and you included it on your application (Form 605) your amateur license will be associated with it in the FCC database. Try searching in License manager by the FRN. If your amateur license has been granted, it will show up along with your GMRS license.

Quote Originally Posted by k7mem View Post
    Note, just because GMRS and FRN are capitalized, "ham" is not. It is not a acronym like GMRS and FRN. It's just "ham".

Registering your license usually happens pretty quickly. But if you are handling your submission via mail, it may take a bit longer. I don't know, however, whether your other licenses will be listed with your ham license. If you specifically requested a response via mail, you will get no response from the FCC. They no longer generate paper licenses automatically.

I have found the search function, on the FCC's web site, to be pretty easy to use. You need to do your search in the "Universal Licensing System" (ULS) section. I did a search with just my last name and found about 10 license listings. It even found my call sign from 20 years ago. In your case, there is another section that does an Application search. I don't know your last name, so I can't do the search for you. Due to our current times, your application may be delayed due to the lack of personnel available.

The GMRS licenses are in the same ULS section, but I don't think the FRS registered licenses are in the same area.

When I tested, I took the Advanced and Extra class tests (plus the 20 WPM Morse test) at the same VE session. But at the time they processed everything sequentially. So after two or three weeks, I finally received my Advanced class license. Then, two or three weeks later, I received my Extra class license. Things are much faster now, but you still have to be patient. Your license will come through.
    Thanks. So when I try to search an Application Search, nothing comes back under James Johnson. I think I was having some browser issues with my mac and Safari but I'm using Chrome now and it's still not coming up with anything under Application Search. Hopefully my paperwork isn't lost in limbo. I understand with all this going on it'll prob take 50% longer to get this done but I'm just curious if I'm having search issues or if it's just taking longer or both. Thanks.

All this virtual testing is for naught if the FCC isn't processing things...

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    All this virtual testing is for naught if the FCC isn't processing things...
    Processing at the FCC is automated for the most part. The ULS database updates once an hour during normal working hours. If call signs are not appearing in the database it means the FCC hasn't received it.

Thanks. So when I try to search an Application Search, nothing comes back under James Johnson. I think I was having some browser issues with my mac and Safari but I'm using Chrome now and it's still not coming up with anything under Application Search. Hopefully my paperwork isn't lost in limbo. I understand with all this going on it'll prob take 50% longer to get this done but I'm just curious if I'm having search issues or if it's just taking longer or both. Thanks.
    I did a search on your last name for licenses issued between 4/14/2020 and today. I came up with one James Johnson that received a Technician license during that period. Is this you?

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...licKey=4272932

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    I did a search on your last name for licenses issued between 4/14/2020 and today. I came up with one James Johnson that received a Technician license during that period. Is this you?

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...licKey=4272932
    That is not me but I appreciate you looking! I just want to make sure Iím using the search tool correctly. Seems like if the ARRL is shut down itís gonna take me a while to get my call.

That is not me but I appreciate you looking! I just want to make sure Iím using the search tool correctly. Seems like if the ARRL is shut down itís gonna take me a while to get my call.
    You said you had an FRN and a GMRS license. If you be willing to send those to me, i could search the system for you. The FCC system is somewhat difficult to navigate, especially for a beginner.

Earlier today I did some searches on the FCC site, and came up with nothing. Initially I just used the name "Johnson, James" and came up with about 100 hits. But that wasn't really narrowing thing down. So I did a Application search on the name plus, I limited the search over the last 30 days. Again I came up with nothing.

Because you mailed it in, you will probably have to wait until everyone gets back to work. There is probably only a minimum staff and it will take time to go through the incoming mail. All I can say is "be patient". When I first got my license (1965) the wait was 4-6 weeks, and there was no internet to check on it. You just had to sit and wait.

I doubt that the FRN or GMS licenses will provide any more clues.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

He and I just communicated via PM and it's now apparent the FCC just hasn't received the information yet. he said he received the same information from his VE as well.