Thread: What to expect from an FCC inspection

Question What to expect from an FCC inspection

Has anyone operating a HAM/amateur radio ever had their equipment inspected by the FCC before? What happens during one of these inspections? Do they ever tell you before they just show up? Looking for information on this from people who have experienced an inspection. Has anyone ever said "no"?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Hi from UK Daniel,

Are you asking if anyone refused entry to a ham station from FCC?
    I very much doubt that they would give notice prior to an inspection as l would assume the visit would happen following a complaint. Why give someone the opportunity to remove any equipment that does not conform to your licensing conditions.

It's been many years since l heard of any visits (raids) by the authorities to a UK station. So l would also be interested to hear of any visits in "any" country. And the reason for + the outcome of those visits.

However, if you were to refuse entry l would expect your license to be suspended. As refusing entry suggests you may have something to hide.
    Your licensing conditions will clearly state that you MUST grant access to your station at a reasonable time (not the middle of the night).
    Ofcourse with the lockdowns, there won't be any visits for some time.

I have been a ham for 55 years. While I have heard stories of inspections, due to some violation, I have never met anyone that actually had one.

What are you doing illegally?

Amateur Radio operators are given a pretty wide berth. We are responsible for making sure that our emissions are clean. If there is a problem with your emissions, you can be sure that another ham will let you know. But we can also build our own equipment and we don't need certifications. The FCC is more interested in people that import and sell, radios that are not certified. These would be radios like CBs that cover too wide of a range and have too much power and have never been certified by the FCC for import.

For the most part, the FCC is after the big fish. Check out some of the Cramming Violations. Can you say "billions and billions". They are protecting us from big business. Ham operators are just little fish.

Most ham violations happen over the air. Things like foul language, interference with other stations, or broadcasting music. But hams are not master criminals and very often identify themselves. The want everyone to know who is behaving badly. So when the FCC listens in, it's easy for them to verify the complaints. Once they know who it is, the offender gets a nasty letter, threatening to fine them or cancellation their license. If they stop what they are doing, the issue goes away. They don't need to physically see your radios.

Possibly, in the case of very high powered amplifiers, they might visit you. But visits are rare.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

I got the impression from the other similarly themed thread that this is an attorney looking for either clients or case history to help a client. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    I got the impression from the other similarly themed thread that this is an attorney looking for either clients or case history to help a client. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.
    Yea, it does sound similar. I doubt that the OP will respond.

If the OP is attempting to defend someone that refused the entry to the FCC, he probably has a loser on his hands. You have to be doing something really wrong, to get the direct attention of the FCC. I also doubt that he will get any information that will help him in the courts.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

No response from the OP suggests that the above mentioned suspicions may be correct.

OP is fishing. As has been said before on other threads/forums. Since there is no longer any charge for license renewal, hams (in UK & some other countries) have no rights. In UK we need to "validate" our license every 5yrs (which is free) in order to keep it.
    Yesterday l done just that. But rather than just validate it l went to the "edit details" section & made an extra space in the address section & "presto" it automatically sent me a brand new class A license dated 1st May 2020.
    In 5yrs l will do the same again as it's much easier to do it that way.

I have heard of inspections, although never spoken to anyone who had one.
    But denial of entry will without doubt result in cancellation of a license in any country.
    I can't think of any hams that l ever knew who would ever worry about, or even consider refusing entry to their station by authorities.

So if the OP is considering legal action, he needs to do a little reading. Any such action would drag on for years. Since the radio spectrum in every country is controlled by a government branch, legal action against them is pissing in the wind.