Thread: Throat mic & earpiece for Yaesu VX-8DR

Default Throat mic & earpiece for Yaesu VX-8DR

I am looking to get a Throat mic & PTT earpiece setup for my Yaesu VX-8DR

But I'm only seeing connections for Baofeng or Kenwood on the internet

Does anyone know of an available throat mic option for the Yaesu mic fitting? (not sure what the port is called they used for mics)

Thanks!

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

I have a Yaesu FT-65 hand held and using Motorola, as in ear piece and mike also use a speaker mic both work well.
    Of course the pin size and spacing is the main factor, and Motorola is the correct size!
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

Ok I think the Yaesu FT-65 has a different mic port than the VX-8DR doesn't it? From what I can tell on pics online, it's not the same

So any idea if there are any motorola throat mic options that fit that particular port?

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

The connection is single pin unlike most Yaesu hand held's which are double pin, Yaesu site only list MH-74A7A Speaker Mic for that radio.
    Could not find any other choices, good luck.
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0FVL View Post
    The connection is single pin unlike most Yaesu hand held's which are double pin, Yaesu site only list MH-74A7A Speaker Mic for that radio.
    Could not find any other choices, good luck.
    You have it backwards. MOST (not all) Yaesu HTs have a single pin TRRS (4 conductor) microphone connector. Some others have Baofeng/Kenwood style two pin connectors. Those aren't important here.

The Yaesu VX-8DR has a 7 pin DIN connector (which can also serve as connector for a GPS antenna) for a speaker microphone. That's why the only listing found was for the MH-74A7A. However, with a Yaesu CT-131 adapter (Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-CT-131-.../dp/B0042AHXOK) it is possible to use ANY headset or microphone with the standard single pin Yaesu style connector.

I did find a throat microphone/earpiece setup that just might work with the VX-8DR in conjunction with the CT-131 adapter. https://www.amazon.com/FANVERIM-Micr...s%2C227&sr=1-9

Good luck.

Ahh ok, that's exactly the kind of help I was looking for!

So it seems that Yaesu CT-131 adapter is the solution if there isn't any factory made throat mics with the 7 pin DIN connector.

But is that throat mic you linked to any good you think? It's only $15 and I've seen some throat mics go all the way up to $300.

So I don't want to buy a low quality one, but I'm also not trying to buy a $300 one lol

Any suggestions on how to figure out what throat mic is high quality & waterproof?

I found this high-quality, waterproof option:

https://www.coderedheadsets.com/Assa...ult-mod-wp.htm

I'm just trying to figure out if that Yaesu adapter is 2.5mm or 3.5mm port

CodeRed has both options available. They do not have a 7 pin DIN connection option.

I am not an expert on throat mics. I know about as much as you do...

I know that a lot of airsoft and milsim is about authenticity but my activities are different and my preference is ease of operation, convenience and good build and audio quality. I use a Heil HTH-Y headset designed specifically for the Yaesu HTs. It's well built, has excellent audio with a PTT button on the cord and can be worn with the mic on either side. It comes in two versions, single earpiece and dual earpiece. The only downside to it, I found out, is it won't survive being run over by a pick-up truck...

The post on the Yaesu CT-131 is 3.5mm but requires that whatever is plugged into it has the Yaesu TRRS pinout. I honestly don't think any of the Code Red options are going to work.

Ok this is the 3.5mm cord that CodeRed has suggested:

https://www.coderedheadsets.com/Repl...5-p/mrc-35.htm

How do I figure out if it has the Yaesu TRSS pinout?

What is this and is there any way around it or a way to modify that 3.5mm cord from CodeRed?

This was the response from CodeRed's sales rep about the TRSS pinout:

"Probably not the same, ours is the standard PC/iPhone pinout. Do you have the pin assignment for the Yaesu?"

So their PC/iphone pinout won't work?

Any idea how/where I can find the pin assignment for the Yaesu?

hls-hth-y_bk_xl.jpg

This is the pinout for a typical Yaesu TRRS connector.

Ok thanks for that. I forwarded it to CodeRed to see what they say.

So do you think there is any option left out there for me to make this work?

I'm surprised the 7 DIN port isn't supported more with the right adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
    Ok thanks for that. I forwarded it to CodeRed to see what they say.

So do you think there is any option left out there for me to make this work?

I'm surprised the 7 DIN port isn't supported more with the right adapters.
    You don't think that one I found on Amazon and posted the link to will work? It has the TRRS style plug, but I have no idea what the pinout is on it.

Another option is to abandon the idea of a throat mic and go with a headset instead. The Heil HTH-Y headset I mentioned before Is good quality with excellent sound, lightweight, available in either dual or single ear configuration and reasonably priced. And it WILL work with the Yaesu CT-131 adapter.

And, if you have the skills, you could convert one of the CodeRed mics to the 7 pin din plug yourself. That would entail cutting the connector off the CodeRed microphone and wiring it into a 7 pin din plug. You'd nee both the pinout on the Code Red and on the VX8 to accomplish this.