Thread: IC-706MK2G vs. the cheap CI-V cable.

Default IC-706MK2G vs. the cheap CI-V cable.

Hello, I am checking in to see if anyone out there has used one of these cheap cat/CI-V cables to control their IC-706MK2G with softwares like fldigi or wstjx.

I have a cable that is assured to use a true FTDI chip but my radio is not responding.
    The FTDI supplied driver works, the software sees the COM port, I can see the serial data on the control jack of my radio using my 'scope, but no dice!
    The Vpp of the serial signal is a measly ~2.2Vpp, and I am questioning if this $30 cable is capable of flicking the transistors hard enough, or if my radio is damaged somehow.

I am mostly using hamlib in different iterations to generate the serial data to the radio, from what I can tell, it is sending the correct messages to the radio.

If anyone has a similar setup to mine, I would love to hear about what software and settings you are using.

Thanks!

First I would check the menu items 34, 35, 36, and 37. These menu items enable and configure the CI-V communication. I would initially select a specific baud rate, rather than "auto". Then you should be able to match it from the computer. Of course, make sure the CI-V address is correct.

The spec for CI-V says that, the ICOM CI-V is Bi-Directional and switches between ground (< 0.8 Volts) and some positive voltage (> 2.0 Volts). When no data is being received from the computer, and no data is being sent to the computer, the ICOM CI-V line rests at a positive voltage. Your reading of 2.2 Vpp could work if the "low" is < 0.8 volts and the "high" is > 2.0 Volts.

When you send a message to the radio, do you get any response? It should respond now matter whether the command is good or bad.

I use a USB to Serial Port converter cable, with my home brew CI-V interface, to talk to my IC-735. I don't believe that any of the USB to Serial Port converter cables that I have are "FTDI". I am pretty sure that all of them are "Prolific". I use a separate USB to Serial Port converter cable to handle PTT and direct CW keying. I have about 5 or 6 of these cables. Some work fine with Windows 10 and some don't.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

Default K.I.S.S.

In the end, the solution was terribly more simple than the many solutions I tried: The sleeve of the jack was not connected to ground!
    In attaching my scope prob while sending the messages, it grounded the sleeve and the radio responded!
    It looks like there was some small surface mount ferrite bead between the jack sleeve and chassis ground which had opened up.
    I used a small piece of wire as a jumper until I can find a proper replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by k7mem View Post
    First I would check the menu items 34, 35, 36, and 37. These menu items enable and configure the CI-V communication. I would initially select a specific baud rate, rather than "auto". Then you should be able to match it from the computer. Of course, make sure the CI-V address is correct.
    Your suggestions match the specific instructions I received from ICOM support:
    CI-V Address - Default: 58h
    CI-V Baud Rate - Default: Auto, but should be set to 19200
    CI-V Transceive - Default: On
    Thanks for your suggestion
    73, KN6CAJ