Thread: Baofeng UV-5R

Default Baofeng UV-5R

I have two Baofeng UV-5Rs that I am trying to program with Chirp and I have 2 issues I would some help with. 1) One of them will connect to Chrip through my MAC. When I try to connect the other one, I get a message that says "the incorrect model number chosen". It definitely is a UV-5R so I checked the firmware on the radios by turning them on while holding down the 3. (Gotta be quick) The one that will connect says BFB297, the one that won't says BFP3-25. Looks like one says BFB and the other says BFP and the one has a hyphen between the 3 and the 2. Any ideas or suggestions?

2) On the one that will connect, I named the channels but the name does not show up on the radio. It sill just has the frequency of the channel rather than the name of the channel. Again, I would appreciate any suggestions.

I also realize that the overall problem is that they are cheap and you get what you pay for. They actually work quite well, just would like to be able to get them programed where the name will show up on the radio.

Thanks,

John

Make sure the cable is plugged all the way in on the one that is not connecting to the computer. Also make sure you turn up the volume all the way and you are on a channel that is not receiving (you can take off the antenna to be extra precautions).

To change between viewing frequency and name, go to menu item 21 or 22, MDF-A or MDF-B. I prefer having one set to make and the other frequency for reference. This is something you can adjust in Chirp too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

In the chirp software, below "memories" is a "settings" button. Click it and set "Display Mode (A)" and (B) to "NAME".

On the radio that doesn’t connect. You may have to read from the radio before you right to it.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have a great day.
    K5MOW

I know its a little off topic but there is a linux live iso out there with chirp on it. Thats what i use and never had an issue. Its sooo much easier sticking a usb thumb drive into any pc and booting from that than downloading a windows version and installing it on every computer you use it on. It even works when the computer has no hard drive at all. Restart the pc without the thumb drive and everything on your computer was just as you left it.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    I know its a little off topic but there is a linux live iso out there with chirp on it. Thats what i use and never had an issue. Its sooo much easier sticking a usb thumb drive into any pc and booting from that than downloading a windows version and installing it on every computer you use it on. It even works when the computer has no hard drive at all. Restart the pc without the thumb drive and everything on your computer was just as you left it.

heres one i have yet to try https://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

But you can download amateur radio apps on almost any linux from synaptic package manager.
    Ive downloaded a lot of ham apps on peppermint 9