Thread: EFHW Dipole

Smile EFHW Dipole

So I put up an EFHW Dipole antenna for my HF transceiver. The antenna goes out of my garage, along about 30' under my garage eaves at a height of about 9', angles up at about 45 degrees to about 18' under the house eave, back down at about 45 degrees to about 9' to the end of my house eave, then up into a tree at about a 60 degree angle to about 30' then down to about 12' off the ground. The SWR is totally off the charts. An antenna tuner can't help. Nobody can pick up my transmissions. I'm running at 100 W but my TX Po registers about 7 W. My reverse W has to be about 90+. OBTW, I have a steel roof. The under eave runs are about 6" below the steel. Stealth is a must. I live in the country but the XYL is death on visible antennas. Heavy into aesthetics. Any expert suggestions short of suicide?

W5LEM

Hi, Elam.

What sort of ATU are you using? Some are very limited.

Thanks,

Chris
    2E0FRU

Red face

Chris,

I'm just using the internal tuner on the ic-7300. It can't tune the antenna because the SWR exceeds all known parameters.

You never mentioned if you had a balun. feeding the end of a half wave antenna cannot be done right off a coax cable.

It is a really bad idea to put an antenna under a piece of metal (the eve), especially the portion carrying the most current! It is also unusual to have so many bends in a dipole. I would abandon the idea of running it along the house eve all together.

The prenuptial should state something like "My hobby and I are one, a single package, forever inseparable".

Hi, Elam.

I agree with Brendan, with regard to the routing of the antenna; sometimes though, you have to route it wherever you can, and your options may be few.

The reason I asked about the ATU, is because internal ATUs are somewhat limited, with many operators choosing to use at external.

Have a look at discussions such as this:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...-tuner.640473/

Personally, I bought an Emtech ZM-2, but it depends how much power you transmit.

https://steadynet.com/emtech/

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Default EFHW

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated. The efhw wire does have a balun. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and reroute the EFHW. The antenna is from MyAntennas.com and I believe it to be well-designed and constructed. I'm trying to negotiate with a fellow for an external antenna tuner. Thanks again. I believe I have enough input to make some changes. If I'm not successful I may post again
    W5LEM