Thread: Kenwood TS-440 Digital Setup Questions

Question Kenwood TS-440 Digital Setup Questions

So I have recently upgraded from a Kenwood TM-281 to a Kenwood TS-440S. I have been making quite a bit of contacts on voice and wanted to dip my toe into the Digital side of things. I did a little homework and found that I had to buy some IC's to enable that function and since bought, and installed both. I purchased THIS for CAT control, which works very well. And THIS for audio I/O. When I start up WSJT-X, for example, I can get audio stream from the radio, the program is decoding messages, and I have full CAT control through DXLabCommander. I had some problems with the time sync and have fixed that with Meinberg. Now my problem is that I don't think I'm getting out. I can hear the program outputting signals when I plug my headphones into the jack assigned to the DATA IN for the radio. I have turned every knob and pushed every button on my rig while I'm using the tune button on the program to get ANY movement on the S-meter. No joy. The ON AIR light is on so I know it is transmitting, but the meter never moves. I have tried it with the mic plugged and unplugged. Is there anyone out there who can possibly give me some insight on what I'm doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The meter is only a S-Meter when the radio is in receive. In transmit the meter can show ALC, Power, or SWR, depending on how the Meter Switch is set.

The CAT control program can put the radio into the transmit mode. But unless there is audio, from either the microphone or the ACC2 data input (computer), no output power will be observed. Since your not seeing any power, it says to me that, the audio from the computer is too low or it is not getting to the radio.

You should be able to adjust the audio level from the PC and using the Mic Gain control on the radio. Since the transmit mode is set via CAT, you might want to turn off the VOX. That could be preventing any actual RF output.

For myself, I made a homebrew interface for computer control of my IC-735. It works fine, but the transmit mode on the IC-735 can not be set from the computer. So I have a RS-232 connection to the computer that activates the PTT. Also, when using the ACC connectors, the VOX is bypassed, so I don't have redundant controls. All radios seem to handle things just a little bit differently.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

I had trouble getting audio into the radio through the multi-pin DIN connector, ended up using the phono FSK-in jack...

I did get it working over the weekend. There was an option i missed in the settings to WSJT-X. In case anyone else has this issue;
    I went to File > Settings..
    Radio Tab > Mode
    It is on "None" by default. Switched it to USB because I mainly use FT4/FT8

MORE INFO:
    Make sure you unplug EVERYTHING 3.5mm related from your computer if you're using 3.5mm jacks from your radio. It can get confusing, and WSJT-X may send it's output to you computer speakers instead of your radio.

EVEN MORE INFO:
    Get on an empty channel, if you have a built-in tuner on the TS-440 make sure your CAR knob is turned up at least some but not too high, or it won't tune on any freq.. You can either use the TUNE function or just ENABLE TX and set you levels that way. I will typically start with my computer level around MAX, have my slider on about 75% on WSJT-X, and adjust my MIC gain on my radio to make my meter barely move while the selector is set to ALC. Been making plenty of contacts with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    I had trouble getting audio into the radio through the multi-pin DIN connector, ended up using the phono FSK-in jack...
    I'm guessing that's an RCA on the radio side and 3.5mm on the computer side?