Thread: Recommended DMR / Fusion radio with Air Band

Default Recommended DMR / Fusion radio with Air Band

Hello,

New to the forum. I bought the standard UV-5R to start learning about HAM and I'm really enjoying it so far. Looking to take my Technician test on the 18th (I've been studying and passing practice tests through Ham Radio Prep). I'm looking at getting a DMR or Fusion radio that is capable of receiving Air Band. Right now my top choice is the FT3DR, and at $350 it seems to be coming down in price. The radio I am really interested in is the Any Tone AT-D868UV but it doesn't do Air Band (Could this be a firmware update in the future or is it an electronics issue?). I know it's a silly request but I'm a pilot and I do want Air Band functionality out of a radio. I could buy one dedicated radio for Air Band as well but I'm curious to see some different opinions.

Thanks!

The newest Fusion radio I have is the FTM-400XDR and I also have a FT1D (now discontinued) and an FTM-100D. All three will receive Air Band (with the proper menu settings) and I have them set up to monitor the tower and ground frequencies at the local international airport, Naval Air Station and Marine Corps Air Station. The FT-3D should do the same, but I'd download the manual from the Yaesu site and determine that ahead of actually purchasing the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    The newest Fusion radio I have is the FTM-400XDR and I also have a FT1D (now discontinued) and an FTM-100D. All three will receive Air Band (with the proper menu settings) and I have them set up to monitor the tower and ground frequencies at the local international airport, Naval Air Station and Marine Corps Air Station. The FT-3D should do the same, but I'd download the manual from the Yaesu site and determine that ahead of actually purchasing the radio.
    Very cool! I'm leaning towards the FT3. I think it would work well for my purposes. It's expensive at $350 (at least for a beginner) but it should give me tons of room to grow and become addicted to the hobby. Where are you at with an MCAS near by? I was stationed at MCAS Yuma while I was in.

You can't go wrong with an AnyTone AT-D878UV -- I have the plus, and the bluetooth option is great. While it does not support airband, your should be able to get an airband receiver separately for flying with a budget of $350.

I like DMR, but that is from someone that does not have any experience with Fusion. DMR seems to be in wider use, but it also takes some getting used to, but with a code plug downloaded for your state, you should be able to get on quickly.