Thread: Kenwood R2000

Default Kenwood R2000

I have an old Kenwood R-2000 Marine radio receiver which operates in Modes: AM/FM/USB/LSB/CW on frequencies from 150 to 30000 kHz.
    This radio is installed in my yacht which I bought several years ago and I believe the the antenna used was the mast Back-Stay which has insulators top and bottom and is approximately 10 meters long between the insulators and 8mm diameter stranded stainless steel.
    Can anyone tell me if this will be an efficient antenna for this radio. There were also two items that I cannot identify but as I cannot post attachments I am unable to show you what they look like but they are something to do with the antenna. There was an SSB tranceiver also on the boat which will not be installed now so it may have been for that. If anyone sends me an email address then I can send pictures

Superb receiver! I loathe selling mine.

Steel is a poor conductor at R.F. - it will probably give signals, but, as you suspect, not very efficient...

If I remember right, the image size needs to be 800x600 to upload. If you resize them, you should be able to upload up to 4mb (i think) in attachments.

As for the stainless steel, my 11m mobile whip does an amazing job, that's 17-7 stainless steel. Transmitting 12w SSB in my truck in hilly terrain, 40 or 50 miles is common. If you consider the losses in the coax, connectors, mismatches etc, I would take the convenience of that stay cable over the inconvenience of trying to find another antenna that don't interact with the cable.

Id bet with that wide of coverage receiver, the mystery equipment is likely for tuning.

That's not a "marine" radio, AFAIK. It's a general coverage communications receiver. The backstay antenna is by far the best compromise for height and out-of-the-way convenience. The difference between stainless steel and copper for this purpose is negligible. I'd recommend a good sized copper plate installed on each side of the keel, faired in and with through-the-hull bolts for connection to the radio's ground terminal ... unless your yacht is metallic to begin with. Navy minesweepers and other mine countermeasures ships (wooden hulls) have been doing just that for years for their communicating, and it works nicely.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.