Thread: Attaching UHF/VHF antenna to rented house

Default Attaching UHF/VHF antenna to rented house

Hi,
    I live in a rented house and want to attach an external VHF/UHF antenna. Can someone recommend a method that doesn't involve any structural alterations eg. drilling holes?

I was given a telescoping mast by another ham and I was able to attach it to a pipe used to hold up some fencing with hose clamps. Works like a charm. It also supports the wind gauge of my weather station. Coincidentally, this house has a clothesline supported by steel posts mounted in concrete. One of those now supports my HF vertical and the other a tri-band (6m. 2m, 70cm) antenna. Hose clamps are a boon...

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    I was given a telescoping mast by another ham and I was able to attach it to a pipe used to hold up some fencing with hose clamps. Works like a charm. It also supports the wind gauge of my weather station. Coincidentally, this house has a clothesline supported by steel posts mounted in concrete. One of those now supports my HF vertical and the other a tri-band (6m. 2m, 70cm) antenna. Hose clamps are a boon...
    Great thanks that's a good idea.

Does anyone know of any clamp like devices that can attach to say a window sill or rain gutter/downpipe on the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    attach to say a window sill...
    Dream one up on paper and go find your local welder - no, wait, wooden house, not recommended...

Do you have access to outside? a small guyed mast in the middle of nowhere would be easy, apart from the cost of the coax

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Great thanks that's a good idea.

Does anyone know of any clamp like devices that can attach to say a window sill or rain gutter/downpipe on the house?
    I'd stay away from trying to mount to rain gutters or the down spout. They are usually made of stamped sheet metal or thin plastic extrusions and are not rigid enough to support a mast and antenna.

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

I know of a Diamond X50 fixed on to the waste vent pipe with a large pipe clip works well and no problems, must have been there 15 years that I know of!
    This is above where it comes through the roof tiles!!
    Last edited by 2E0FVL; Sat 4th Apr 2020 at 08:00.
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

Waste vent is made of much stouter stuff. Should hold a 2 meter antenna forever.
    As long as a lightning strike doesn't ignite the loo.

Do what you need to do as long as your landlord gave permission. It is his house after all...